Any suggestions on shipping corals for the first time?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am attempting to learn how to ship corals. Also, greatly wondering how one gets the ability/"privilege" to post in the for sale forums.
Here is the process I was going to do.

1. Wrap coral in tube bag with just enough water to cover coral.
2. Tie the bag withrubber band right above the water line
3. Put this bag in another bag and do the same thing (2-3 times)
4. Get cold/freezer packs (summer) Heat packs (winter)
frozen ice pack gel pack from Walmart
probably around 2-3
5. wrap them in newspaper THAN put that in a closed plastic bag in case it wets
6. Get styrofoam insulated box and put the corals and freeze packs in the box
(if no styrofoam use bubble wrap)
7. Put the insulated box in a cardboard box. In between the two boxes filled with bubble wrap, styrofoam, or plastic peanuts.
8. Next Day Delivery
fedex or ups
go to a hub (not a normal store)

I am trying to find someone I can send free corals who would pay for shipping seeing it is my first time.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you've ordered corals before? Which ones were you trying first?

I try to mimic other senders packing techniques. I try to remember how corals were packed that I have had shipped. I haven't sent corals, but I've sent freshwater plants and fish before with success.

One of the first coral orders I had were horribly shipped. I lost most of the order, and they used a scented bathroom sized trash bag to bag the individual bags together. I'm not sure if that's why most of the order was doa, but I recommend using the correct types of bags for the job. (I did get refunded for the doa, but I chose to buy elsewhere)

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you've ordered corals before? Which ones were you trying first?

I try to mimic other senders packing techniques. I try to remember how corals were packed that I have had shipped. I haven't sent corals, but I've sent freshwater plants and fish before with success.

One of the first coral orders I had were horribly shipped. I lost most of the order, and they used a scented bathroom sized trash bag to bag the individual bags together. I'm not sure if that's why most of the order was doa, but I recommend using the correct types of bags for the job. (I did get refunded for the doa, but I chose to buy elsewhere)
Thank you for joining in. The process I made above was from copying and speaking with other coral shippers! I want to try anything at first preferably soft corals like zoas because they seem easier to start than LPS/SPS and I could handle the loss if a worse case scenario happens.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the recipient of a first time shipper once before, she was nervous on shipping and worst case scenario folded out and it was doa for me and a few others she sent to. Very heartbreaking to open a wet box to confirm doas. It was baby freshwater plecos. She did try a reshipment and 9/10 were alive so she learned from mistakes but it was a tough lesson to learn.

I commend you for researching well for your first shipment.

Have you talked with either FedEx or ups yet? Have they quoted you prices?

I'm a good test dummy of you need one.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the recipient of a first time shipper once before, she was nervous on shipping and worst case scenario folded out and it was doa for me and a few others she sent to. Very heartbreaking to open a wet box to confirm doas. It was baby freshwater plecos. She did try a reshipment and 9/10 were alive so she learned from mistakes but it was a tough lesson to learn.

I commend you for researching well for your first shipment.

Have you talked with either FedEx or ups yet? Have they quoted you prices?

I'm a good test dummy of you need one.
Thank you I am actually in a similar situation (well relatively nervous) but I think a good amount because I have been preparing for this possibility for over a year now. For example I have Ironmans and I've had people offering $300 per head here to ship for a while now. I cant sell these things locally for $50 a head lol. I would think some Zoas would be pretty hardy through the mail though seeing the shipping doesn't get delayed for some reason. The one thing I have not done is get a quote from UPS or FedEx. If you are serious about this I will happily list off some corals I would give out for free and contact the delivery companies to see what the 1day shipping price for you would be.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I am actually in a similar situation (well relatively nervous) but I think a good amount because I have been preparing for this possibility for over a year now. For example I have Ironmans and I've had people offering $300 per head here to ship for a while now. I cant sell these things locally for $50 a head lol. I would think some Zoas would be pretty hardy through the mail though seeing the shipping doesn't get delayed for some reason. The one thing I have not done is get a quote from UPS or FedEx. If you are serious about this I will happily list off some corals I would give out for free and contact the delivery companies to see what the 1day shipping price for you would be.
Sure! You can pm me once you've got a shipping quote.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You probably want to take the bags of corals, and put those bags into another, larger bag, without anything inside. If any bags leak, you want the water all available, not soaked up into newspapers. Padding goes OUTSIDE the big bag that holds all the little bags.

What I've done a few times is put each coral in its own little bag, then put all the little bags inside a double-bagged bigger bag, with absolutely no air inside the bigger bag. If any smaller bag leaks, most of the water stays inside.

One thing you can do with more fragile corals (that's probably not needed for zoas) is to drill a hole through the stem of the frag plug. Then run a piece of fishing line through the hole and out the opening of the bag, before closing the bag. It suspends the plug in the bag so it's not rolling around as much.

Also, temperature packs (heat/cold packs) need to be separated from the corals by, at least, a thick layer of crumpled newspaper. You don't want to cook or freeze them.

Zoas are pretty hardy, and, really, a lot of corals tolerate all sorts of nonsense. Some people ship zoas just wrapped in wet paper towels. I had a shipment of rock flower anemones recently where one bag had leaked, but the nem was completely fine, despite having been flattened and having very little water in the actual bag. That big-bag-for-the-little-bags trick works great.

reefah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tip if you're sending zoas would be to place the zoa on the frag plug then cut an " X" center into a ketchup cup and place the plug inside which will prevent the plug from flipping around so much during travel once you place it into the container....
1654440746056.png

Then place the plug into this container - you can find many many cheap containers online such as amazon or other major retailors for less than $10 for packs of 6 or more. be sure to fill this sucker up with your tank water with least amount of air inside.
1654439904166.png

once placed inside itll look something like this but instead of acros its zoas. Also be sure to use tape around the lid so it doesn't twist open some how during travel....
1654440153055.png

Then look for a Styrofoam box for insulation and a small box for shipping. amazon does sell these which are a bit pricey for two but im sure you can find cheaper elsewhere im just giving you the idea..
1654440433007.png

on the bottom of the Styrofoam box place newspaper.. this will keep the heat or cold in... once placed inside then wrap one of the containers in bubble wrap - dont have to use too much.. then once snug in the box place a cooling or warm pack depending on shipping conditions/destination. then top once more with newspaper and a foam lid and presto!!!! ALL DONE and now you can enjoy that $$$$$$ from all the money youll make off zoas :)

Also when dropping off at shipping store be sure to be there pretty close to when they close as next day air is a must and you don't want your dropped off zoa box hanging out there all day until it ships out in the late evening

Last edited:
OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone your advice is seriously super helpful. when I cut Zoas I sometimes lose them to the flow even with the best glue job so I’ve been doing the ketchup container in the tank to keep the zoa contained if it comes off the plug. Using those for shipping is a great idea.

I feel a lot more comfortable going into this!

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reefah on your photo with the across in the ketchup containers in the jars - are you also adding a layer of foam in between? Almost seems like you are in the photo.

Also I am wondering if the heating/cooling pads should be placed directly into the styrofoam box with the bubble wrap? Or should they be placed outside of the styrofoam box in the plastic peanuts between the styrofoam coral box and cardboard box im shipping it in.

Last edited:

reefah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reefah on your photo with the across in the ketchup containers in the jars - are you also adding a layer of foam in between? Almost seems like you are in the photo.

Also I am wondering if the heating/cooling pads should be placed directly into the styrofoam box with the bubble wrap? Or should they be placed outside of the styrofoam box in the plastic peanuts between the styrofoam coral box and cardboard box im shipping it in.
No that photo was to give you an idea. Yet instead of the foam, you can use the ketchup container. And typically the heat pad gets taped to the underside of the foam lid. You could use either or when it comes to the ketchup container or foam.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that photo was to give you an idea. Yet instead of the foam, you can use the ketchup container. And typically the heat pad gets taped to the underside of the foam lid. You could use either or when it comes to the ketchup container or foam.
Again, thank you so much!

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just got quotes online and Fedex priority 1 day is asking $130, and 2day is $60 to ship something 6 states away... UPS is $110 for single day and $50 for 2day shipping. Am I doing something wrong? No way this can be right seeing I typically pay $30-$50 for single day shipping when I buy corals online.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Online retailers get cheap deals from shipping a lot of packages. Stores have special arrangement with shipping services.

Also, a lot of shipping costs went up due to Covid, and have stayed quite firmly up.

Oh, and try Stamps.com and other sites that offer deals. You may be able to get a lower price.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back