Any Thoughts On The Klir Filter?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specifically, has anyone seen it at any of the trade shows working?

For those that don't know, the Klir is like a small Rollermat, but goes in the individual filter sock holders instead. It uses a 50 micron felt pad. They make a 4" size and a 7" size.

My sump has three 4" sock holders, so theoretically I could put 3 Klir's in it, but the 4" is $250 for one unit.

Just curious if anyone has seen it in action?

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, however when replacing the filter sock with this device. Hoping your sump filer sock area can accommodate this Klir filter length and width.

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it was just unveiled (the new version you are describing) at RAP so only experience will be from that show thus far. jake did a livestream from the show where he interviewed jack behar (inventor) and showed some of the features. I'm excited for it too. this new design is much more practical and excellent flow rates and filtering capacity options via micron size is awesome too.

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea seen that stream but would like to get a better idea as far as installation of the unit.
seems really straightforward. the unit opens/folds in half, drop in and done. if powered version, plug in. I like this one uses optical sensors and not float switches like so many alternatives.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I do understand that but my sock area in the sump is kind of weird so that’s why I would like to see it being installed so I can see if it would work for me.
Will try get a pic of my sump so can see what I’m talking about.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I do understand that but my sock area in the sump is kind of weird so that’s why I would like to see it being installed so I can see if it would work for me.
Will try get a pic of my sump so can see what I’m talking about.

From what I understand it will fit a standard sock hole of 4 inches or 7 inches. It was on display at the Florida show and should launch in the summer. Definitely seems a bit pricey, especially if you have three 4" sock holders like I do. dang thing would cost more than my Trigger sump, lol.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems really straightforward. the unit opens/folds in half, drop in and done. if powered version, plug in. I like this one uses optical sensors and not float switches like so many alternatives.

There is an unpowered version? I thought it needs power so that when the felt gets clogged, the water will rise in the unit, triggering the sensor and pull out a fresh area of felt, causing the water level to drop.

I get emails about new CaribSea products, so they described it and have it on their site, but said it was being shown for the first time at the Florida show. I was just curious if someone saw it running.

And how it would work with multiple sock sumps. They can't really expect someone to pay $750 for a 3-sock sump. I already use 50 micron socks, but would love the ease of this.

Did they mention replacement felts or anything?

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is an unpowered version? I thought it needs power so that when the felt gets clogged, the water will rise in the unit, triggering the sensor and pull out a fresh area of felt, causing the water level to drop.

I get emails about new CaribSea products, so they described it and have it on their site, but said it was being shown for the first time at the Florida show. I was just curious if someone saw it running.

And how it would work with multiple sock sumps. They can't really expect someone to pay $750 for a 3-sock sump. I already use 50 micron socks, but would love the ease of this.

Did they mention replacement felts or anything?
you should check out the videos from jake and the livestream. yes there is a unpowered/manual version for the 4" offering.

multiple sock sumps just depends on your flow. if one unit doesn't handle all the flow and you want it filtered and have another opening, then use another unit. if one unit can handle all your flow which is most folks, then cap off the remaining two filter sock holes with their adjustable cover that they also describe. it's adjustable so you can set how much flow to pass through if you didn't want all flow to go through sock and so one doesn't need to buy multiple units.

Greaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Product looks awesome. I think they nailed it on the redesign. I will buy one, I think we need to go automatic with 50 micron, depending on your tank it may require daily turning and possible more than once a day turning. I know from experience 100 micron socks fill out quick.

mostlysticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think this will fit on a Red Sea Reefer 350 (without the ATO tank)? They use weirdly small sized socks.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the pic of my sock compartment.

1f65c576faa0313e17e2e85db55f53fb.jpg

mostlysticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
measure your sump space and you'll know ;) measurements are provided on product pages and videos.

I've seen the dimensions. I still can't figure it out. The RS Reefers use weird sock pull out trays and oddly sized socks. It looks like this filter needs to seal down on the sock hole and cover the second sock hole so water can back up. I guess I'll just assume it won't fit until I see someone else get it working.

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen the dimensions. I still can't figure it out. The RS Reefers use weird sock pull out trays and oddly sized socks. It looks like this filter needs to seal down on the sock hole and cover the second sock hole so water can back up. I guess I'll just assume it won't fit until I see someone else get it working.
check out the info. in the video jack mentions there will be a red sea reefer adapter for those with those tanks/applications.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back