Any Thoughts On The Klir Filter?

Karen at

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw it and got an in-depth demonstration at RAP Orlando. I can’t wait for it to come out. It will fit in a filter sock or has a bracket to hold it. You can block off the other inlets if desired so you don’t need to buy multiples but will need to replace your felt more often. It will work the same way as the rollermat just take up less room and hopefully not get weighted down like the rollermat does. I have a rollermat and one sock and will be replacing the sock with the Klir. I can’t wait!!!!!

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any properly designed sump should have an emergency overflow in the sock tray chamber. If not floods would happen when filter socks get clogged. For example you can see the emergency overflow opening on a Trigger sump
AC98F7F0-0DD7-496D-9202-741DCB657257.jpeg

I get what you're saying, but that works with socks. From what I understand, as the felt in the sump gets clogged, water will rise INSIDE the unit until it hits an optical sensor, then will spin out fresh felt to unclog and the water level in the unit lowers.

If, for whatever reason, the optical doesn't send the signal to release fresh felt, the water will continue to rise in the unit and they stick out well above the sump. I just hope it has the same emergency overflow IN the unit so water will not spray out the top of the unit, above the sump, at 1200 gph.

That was my concern. I guess I need to see one in person. And I'm sure once it's released they will have a video on these things. I've just been burned by being an early adopter so many times that I've learned to let them work out all the kinks first. Because things operate very differently in the public's hands than a controlled lab.

But I do think it looks like a great product, which is why I started this thread.

I also got an email saying that refills for the 4" are $10 for 25 yards of felt, and the 7" is $15. Which is not bad at all. Well worth the price for the refills to not have to clean your socks anymore.

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the refills are 50 yards, only problem for Red Sea reefers is that the water level has to rise 1 1/2” high above the sock level to activate the sensor, I asked about that and they have a special bracket coming out soon, my 425xl I’m hoping to use only one and then cover the other sock, I’m supposed to be running about 1000gph with my return pump but wihhout a flow monitor who knows, it might be expensive but I’ll definitely get one and see how it does, then wait for the Black Friday sale to get another!!

platax88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what you're saying, but that works with socks. From what I understand, as the felt in the sump gets clogged, water will rise INSIDE the unit until it hits an optical sensor, then will spin out fresh felt to unclog and the water level in the unit lowers.

If, for whatever reason, the optical doesn't send the signal to release fresh felt, the water will continue to rise in the unit and they stick out well above the sump. I just hope it has the same emergency overflow IN the unit so water will not spray out the top of the unit, above the sump, at 1200 gph.

That was my concern. I guess I need to see one in person. And I'm sure once it's released they will have a video on these things. I've just been burned by being an early adopter so many times that I've learned to let them work out all the kinks first. Because things operate very differently in the public's hands than a controlled lab.

But I do think it looks like a great product, which is why I started this thread.

I also got an email saying that refills for the 4" are $10 for 25 yards of felt, and the 7" is $15. Which is not bad at all. Well worth the price for the refills to not have to clean your socks anymore.

Hi there. The water does not rise within the unit. Once the fleece gets clogged water begins to rise In the filter sock tray compartment EXACTLY as it would if a standard sock got clogged :) hope that helps clarify things.

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. The water does not rise within the unit. Once the fleece gets clogged water begins to rise In the filter sock tray compartment EXACTLY as it would if a standard sock got clogged :) hope that helps clarify things.
Exactly, in the Red Sea reefers, if the water rises above the socks about 1/2” it then dumps into the sump, as of now , the klir filter water has to rise 1 1/2” above the socks before the sensor is activated , not many sumps that u buy have a weir that lets the water rise that high before bypassing the sock compartment, but they have a special adapter for that coming out, lets wait n see!

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the standard configuration (i.e., put into existing sock hole in the sump), the Klir Filter simply replaces a sock. The extended "box" portion with the web of filter extending down, around bottom, and back up is open at the top, so water from the spreader plate (i.e., the flat portion of the sock rack surrounding the sock holes) flows down into the cavity through open sides, and out through the filter material (two sides are closed). This is exactly the same as what happens with a regular old sock. With standard socks, if they clog up, the water will eventually rise and simply spill over into the sump via an overflow slot above the spreader; same with the KF.

On the other hand, the adapter bracket lets you set up in a sump without existing sock rack. It has a rectangular, open-topped box at the upper portion of the unit, with an inlet that emulates sumps where flow enters through a pair of down-pipes then flows up and across spreader plate. As shown on the KF website, the sidewalls of the open-topped box portion are solid, so if the sensor doesn't sense water level or power to the unit goes out, eventually the water will rise and spill over the sidewalls of the upper portion of the bracket. For this reason, as it is currently configured, the adapter bracket has to sit inside of the sump. (You could probably shoot a whole or two into the sidewall and add a fitting with some pipe or tubing to lead the water down to the water level in the sump, to avoid splashing.)

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the refills are 50 yards, only problem for Red Sea reefers is that the water level has to rise 1 1/2” high above the sock level to activate the sensor, I asked about that and they have a special bracket coming out soon, my 425xl I’m hoping to use only one and then cover the other sock, I’m supposed to be running about 1000gph with my return pump but wihhout a flow monitor who knows, it might be expensive but I’ll definitely get one and see how it does, then wait for the Black Friday sale to get another!!

We are both correct... It's 25 yards for the 4" model and 50 yards for the 7" model ;) Does your Reefer have 7" sock holes?

Screenshot_20180422-003620.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could convert my Trigger 39 to having a single 7" sock instead of three 4" socks. But it wouldn't be as professional as it comes stock.

Two 4" units will accomplish exactly the same as one 7" unit and you'll have to pay almost double the price for two 4 inchers. The 7" is $50 more and has double the amount of felt in the unit. I knew I should've went with the Trigger Tideline series over the standard series. The Tidelines have two 7" socks instead. Stupid little 4" socks on a 40 gallon sump, lol. ;Inpain

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, the product was tweaked before going into production. I think the new dimensions will make you very happy!!!

30707695_10160222134625721_5886718940817653760_n.png

Hey Carlos... Can you please explain how multiple units would work? According to the RAP video, a person would need one main unit with the controller and a second, cheaper unit can plug into that same controller.

Is the the second unit the unpowered, manual one? Because it doesn't look to have a motor on the side where the knob is. Just curious how you can hook two motorized units together. Will there be a motorized unit without the controller? And that's the only difference?

aruotoloj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a JBJ 65 gal AIO. They use 4" socks, would I be able to use the Klir filter on it, or is there a mechanical reason they wouldn't work on an AIO tank vs a bottom sump one?

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a JBJ 65 gal AIO. They use 4" socks, would I be able to use the Klir filter on it, or is there a mechanical reason they wouldn't work on an AIO tank vs a bottom sump one?

I know they require a certain amount of space above and below the water level. And your socks are regular 4" socks? The same that would fit in a sump? You can check their site to see the size requirements. If everything else is in line, I don't see a reason it shouldn't work.

aruotoloj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they require a certain amount of space above and below the water level. And your socks are regular 4" socks? The same that would fit in a sump? You can check their site to see the size requirements. If everything else is in line, I don't see a reason it shouldn't work.
It does say standard 4" socks, and I believe I'd have 20" below and all the room above water, so it should fit. I just dont know how different water flows into a sump, vs the back of an AIO tank, that i didnt know if the mechanics of the system would still work. If it does, its a total day 1 buy though!! :)

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe, i am missing something but wouldn't the water level rising / fluctuating not mess with your skimmer?

At first I though the same but upon a closer look (bring my face closer to the phone) I think the water level is kept constant at around the top right below where it sits inside the filter socks holder. There is a sensor there that rolls out new fleece if the water goes about that mark. Would be great if someone can confirm this

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I though the same but upon a closer look (bring my face closer to the phone) I think the water level is kept constant at around the top right below where it sits inside the filter socks holder. There is a sensor there that rolls out new fleece if the water goes about that mark. Would be great if someone can confirm this

Going from Carlos' post, it only needs 1.5" above the sock level for the sensor. And the unit itself will take up the whole sock area, unless an AIO lets water flow directly off the top of a clogged sock into the next chamber (to prevent overflowing) it should be ok.

It's not out yet though, right?

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going from Carlos' post, it only needs 1.5" above the sock level for the sensor. And the unit itself will take up the whole sock area, unless an AIO lets water flow directly off the top of a clogged sock into the next chamber (to prevent overflowing) it should be ok.

It's not out yet though, right?

It’s not out yet but set to come out sometime this summer

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just read on their site that they will also release different micron fleece. It will launch with 50 micron, then they will release 80 and 120 afterwards.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stumbled upon this, would give it serious consideration especially since they have a 7" variant. Getting tired of cleaning socks already, though the apprehension I get is the availability of the filter rolls long-term.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stumbled upon this, would give it serious consideration especially since they have a 7" variant. Getting tired of cleaning socks already, though the apprehension I get is the availability of the filter rolls long-term.

That's a good point. Especially considering how expensive they are. I would need at least 2 on my 3-sock sump, nearly $500.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back