Any thoughts on what my light may be?

CraigJoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I bought a used light and I'm trying to get some starting point ideas on what my MH bulbs may be. The light is 6ft long and has 8 T5 tubes, 3 MH bulbs and 4 LED inserts that have long since died (each insert has 3 blue and 3 white LED's)

I've been running this over my 165g for about a year, have replaced the t5's once and about to again. This is an upgrade for me from many years of using home build PC's so I have almost no knowledge on MH's. From what I remember these bulbs have connections on each side and snap in.

So, my first question is: How often are you supposed to replace MH bulbs?
Second: Any guess as to the wattage of mine? 150? 250? surely not any higher?? Though the ballast for these things about the size of a modest UPS :0

And thirdly.... Anyone care to guess what make my fixture is??

Thanks!!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I bought a used light and I'm trying to get some starting point ideas on what my MH bulbs may be. The light is 6ft long and has 8 T5 tubes, 3 MH bulbs and 4 LED inserts that have long since died (each insert has 3 blue and 3 white LED's)

I've been running this over my 165g for about a year, have replaced the t5's once and about to again. This is an upgrade for me from many years of using home build PC's so I have almost no knowledge on MH's. From what I remember these bulbs have connections on each side and snap in.

So, my first question is: How often are you supposed to replace MH bulbs?
Second: Any guess as to the wattage of mine? 150? 250? surely not any higher?? Though the ballast for these things about the size of a modest UPS :0

And thirdly.... Anyone care to guess what make my fixture is??

Thanks!!
Pics would help a ton.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a thought. There used to be a fixture that had 3x 150w hqi bulbs for the MH, 8x t5 bulbs (8x39w, basically like a 4 bulb, but used 2x short ones per row. 4 rows.) and some small led rectangle/round inserts (depending on what model)

The bulbs should also say what they are wattage wise. The ballast, if you can get a part number off it that would help also.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely need pictures because there are several manufacturers that have made a 3-hqi + t5ho combo unit out there. The wattage should be printed on the bulb itself somewhere. Most common for that size/array would be 250 watt, but no way of knowing without verifying.

Hqi bulbs are safe to replace about annually. Some people go sooner to try to maintain spectrum and intensity freshness, some go longer.

OP
OP
C

CraigJoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Didn't expect so many replies so quickly! Yes, Pics would be a ton of help. Let me see what I can do, give me a few ;) And yes, it's a bit large :)

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odyssea?

Odyssea-Metal-Halide-Light-Series-for-Aquarium.jpg

OP
OP
C

CraigJoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Dad used to say, When all else fails, read the instructions. Used to drive me nuts when he'd say that! I'm 54 and I guess it still hasn't set in, LOL! Turned the ballast around and it says for 250W bulbs, D'oh! And can I take it that hqi is the bulb/connection type? And Dang 1 yr!! :O...... guess it's time to start shopping

Thanks All! I think you've given me what I needed to know!!!!!

OP
OP
C

CraigJoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not as clear as I thought, did a quick search and need more than hqi, Connection type is the current confusion. it is definitely NOT screw in. and Fc2 doesn't look like I remember (saw them over a year ago and have a severe case of CRS syndrome). I'm going to try to upload some of the pics I just took, but they aren't going to help, I'm going to have to remove a bulb and take a pic of it.

OP
OP
C

CraigJoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, first attempt at adding pics! Wish me luck!!

Oh, forgot to mention, the t5's are 39" tubes

Thanks again everyone!

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is an example of the type of bulb you would want.

OP
OP
C

CraigJoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WVNed, could be, but an older model maybe? Only 4 cooling fans. Which, if I may jump on my soapbox for a second, first off, the fans are AC not DC so the replacement cost was triple, (forgot to mention when I bought the fans were DIA, so I had to replace those) and WHY, just WHY in the would would anyone building something that us knowingly going over a saltwater environment, would you use screws from a PC????????? Stainless screws would not have cost that much more! and the inside of the light fixture would be full of rust!!!!!!!!!! GRRrrrr ok, rant over

OP
OP
C

CraigJoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an example of the type of bulb you would want.
Thanks!! This looks much more like my fuzzy memory!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HQI is a spec. There are screw-in (single ended bulbs) that are HQI too - lots of German-made bulbs are HQI. All double ended bulbs are HQI. ...probably TMI.

For double ended bulbs, 14k Phoenix is best of breed - color is outstanding, output is great and they are not expensive. Both the 250w and 150w are great.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back