Any tips for a new anenome owner?

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read the stickies and did a good bit of research. I keep finding somewhat conflicting advice in regards to flow, lighting and feedings. I can keep very stable water parameters, but I want to be as successful as possible with this build. My current plan is as follows, and I'd love some feedback. I do realize a lot of this is subjective.

Flow: 10x-15x volume. I'm using a 25g AIO with a nem guard on the overflow and a sinewave return pump/RFG for randomization. (Do nems bubble better in lower flow environments like Ive heard?)

Lighting: Ai Prime 16HD using the BRS AB+ specs at 70%. This should give me a range of 80-170 par.

Feeding: Whatever is broadcasted from mysis plus directly feeding 1 per week. (I've heard that silversides may be too large, others swear by them)

Stocking: Which BTAs play nice together? I was planning on staying in the quadricolor family. Should I stick with a single type or can I mix and match without worry?

ZoaAddiction81

Nems And More Nems
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my nems in medium flow I’m also running 4 ai primes on a 55 gallon tank. I feed brine shrimp and mysis shrimp reef roids once a week that’s about it for food. I have a bunch of diff nems together I have some rose bubble tips some screaming demons and a few black widows all in the same section of the tank with no worries. Keep my alk at 9 nitrates at 5 to 6

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read the stickies and did a good bit of research. I keep finding somewhat conflicting advice in regards to flow, lighting and feedings. I can keep very stable water parameters, but I want to be as successful as possible with this build. My current plan is as follows, and I'd love some feedback. I do realize a lot of this is subjective.

Flow: 10x-15x volume. I'm using a 25g AIO with a nem guard on the overflow and a sinewave return pump/RFG for randomization. (Do nems bubble better in lower flow environments like Ive heard?)
This will be great flow for the tank. The nems will find the spot they like best.
Lighting: Ai Prime 16HD using the BRS AB+ specs at 70%. This should give me a range of 80-170 par.
This will be adequate lighting for BTA's. Like flow, they will move to the area of light they prefer.
Feeding: Whatever is broadcasted from mysis plus directly feeding 1 per week. (I've heard that silversides may be too large, others swear by them)
They really don't need direct feedings but feeding small, pea size portions, would not hurt. In my opinion, silversides are way to big for most typical size BTA's. I enjoy feeding mine very small pieces of Mysis or shrimp weekly.
Stocking: Which BTAs play nice together? I was planning on staying in the quadricolor family. Should I stick with a single type or can I mix and match without worry?
Some people have no problem mixing their BTA color morphs or mixing anemones in general. As you've read some people have had bad luck mixing various color morphs of BTA's. I currently have magnifica, LTA's, BTA's, and a sebae all in the same tank with no problems. I do run carbon and weekly 20% water changes.
Anemones are awesome little creatures! I am addicted to them. Welcome to the club!
Anemone specific tanks look great, can be fairly easy to take care of, and are very peaceful to watch. Good luck with your tank!

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will choose its happy place. Be ready for it to grow and don’t wait to move a coral if the anemone should choose to stop on top of it. I lost a lot of Zoas because I was too slow in moving them.

Mine prefer high flow and bright light based on where they chose to be.

Let them choose what they want. Now where are the pictures?

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks most likely getting delivered Weds. I wont have the nems for another few weeks after that.

You should wait more than a few weeks before adding any anemones. Unless, you are starting the tank with established, cured and cycled, live rock. Even then, you need to make sure all parameters are stable. Rush it, and you could lose them.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting the tank with several year old live rock and live ocean sand. Should be a pretty stable system from the get go, but that's why I'm waiting a few weeks to test ;)

Back