Any way to reduce Magnesium

Raeleen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I am new here. My Mg reading is over 1800 ppm. Any recommendations? I have frags. Ca is normal, alkalinity is normal, just the mg is high. Had it tested at a local store and it was still the same reading.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is most likely test error, despite the two readings. Magnesium errors are very common and the Red Sea kit is among the ones that folks seem to have issues with. It does not rise on its own. To be real, either it was in the salt mix or you added it.

What salt mix, salinity, and kit?

Did you possibly add super huge amounts of magnesium additive? To boost magnesium by 500 ppm in a 50 gallon tank would take more than a pound and a half of a solid magnesium additive.

Raeleen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is most likely test error, despite the two readings. Magnesium errors are very common and the Red Sea kit is among the ones that folks seem to have issues with. It does not rise on its own. To be real, either it was in the salt mix or you added it.

What salt mix, salinity, and kit?

Did you possibly add super huge amounts of magnesium additive? To boost magnesium by 500 ppm in a 50 gallon tank would take more than a pound and a half of a solid magnesium additive.

Raeleen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use Catalina water from a distributor here in Arizona. We have used the Red Sea kit for all of our tests. We were recommended a product to lower the Mg, however after three days of dosing. We noticed that it was to actually raise the Mg. Our salinity is at 1.026 ppt. We have an 85 gal tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use Catalina water from a distributor here in Arizona. We have used the Red Sea kit for all of our tests. We were recommended a product to lower the Mg, however after three days of dosing. We noticed that it was to actually raise the Mg. Our salinity is at 1.026 ppt. We have an 85 gal tank.

FWIW, there is no product to lower magnesium. Don't take advice there again. lol

Your magnesium is very likely test error with the Red Sea kit. If it really is ocean water, it cannot have elevated magnesium at normal salinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I use the Red Sea kit what mag testing kit do you recommend?

Many people like Salifert.

Here's a detailed review by one of our members:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/b...os-elos-salifert-api-hanna-triton-awt.234660/

And the specific comparison of the numbers:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/b...i-hanna-triton-awt.234660/page-3#post-2754827

Magnesium:
Red Sea: 2080
Elos: 1350
Nyos: 1440
Salifert: 1470
AWT A: 1540
AWT B: 1560
Triton A: 1475
Triton B: 1468

Marksreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy
Do you know if an expired Salifert (2018) is really such a bad thing. All of 2017 my kit has been consistant (1450) but I just ordered a new one and it is one full syringe + .10 Is that 1650 ?
I hate discrepancies. I guess I have to find another Salifert test kit to compare all 3

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy
Do you know if an expired Salifert (2018) is really such a bad thing. All of 2017 my kit has been consistant (1450) but I just ordered a new one and it is one full syringe + .10 Is that 1650 ?
I hate discrepancies. I guess I have to find another Salifert test kit to compare all 3

I expect that many products are fine beyond their expiration dates, but cannot say how long products with organic indicator dyes in them may actually last.

I don't have the Salifert chart handy, but add the two values together when using more than one syringe to get to the endpoint.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth
I have successfully kept magnesium levels from 850 ppm to 2100ppm with no negative effects on corals or fish, at higher level only effect was on green hair algae.

Ryan Shore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar situation. I just started using aquaforest salt and my magnesium went up to 1600. I am using a red reef test, but I've always been using it and it was consistent at 1350 prior to using that salt.

Mohammad imran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.I m Imran from india. I used fritz salt and aquaforest reef salt,blue treasures reef salt.but magnesium is 1800 to 1900 and I used salifert test and aquaforest test but both all salt is near this magnesium.alk is 11.5 and phosphate is 0.
Can I keep anemone for this water.or any better option to maintain water because I tried all efforts to maintain water but failed.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mag of 1800 is high but not going to cause any ill effects. infact i have successfully kept reef tanks on mag between 1100-2100. hobbyist keep higher mag to battle algae. Alk is also on the high end should be maintained and stable between 7-11 dkh. phos being 0 is great but what is nitrates value?
assuming nitrates are less than 10ppm you should be fine to keep an anemone.

Anemones require moderate flow and good lighting,

Last edited:

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME reports of higher than expected levels when testing for Magnesium are very common, especially when using a salt brand that has levels elevated above NSW. Over the years I have tested a large number of brands of Reef Salts. I also used a number of different brands of test kits. I also use reference solutions to compare my results.

Very often I would run into the problem of elevated levels when compared with the manufacturers stated parmas for a given salinity. I would test the salt after mix and fully dissolved before it was added to the Dt as part of a water change. Certain brands appeared to show levels well over the 1500 ppm level requiring a second titration.

I would always contact the manufacturer for advice and on invariably the reply would be one of the following.

1. My test kit was no good
2. My test procedure was flawed
3. Make sure you roll the bucket before use to eliminate settlement.
4. I can assure you the fault is not with our product, we do extensive batch testing and only use the finest components.
5. If you would like to pay for ICP testing then please return a sample for us to test.

IME the only way to alleviate the problem was to mix the whole bucket of salt in one go. This did in fact make a big difference to my results, however certain brands still showed levels significantly above those stated by the manufacturer. I am by no means a chemist so I have no idea how the settlement occurs or wether in fact it is possible. But my observations certainly pointed to it being a possible cause.

In worst case scenarios my testing procedure appeared to suggest Magnesium levels of over 1600 ppm on one particular brand.

I now use a reef salt that has params set at near NSW levels. I find it much easier to boost levels to where I am aiming for than trying to reduce them. Salts such as two little fishes Accurasea are a promising solution for nano reefers like myself as they supply individually sized bags of salt. This should eliminate a least any suggestion of settlement as you mix the whole bag.

John May

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mag is up around 1600 and i don't dose anything is this a problem and is there anyway to reduce it?

John May

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my mag is up around 1600 and i don't dose anything can this be bad for corals and if so how can i reduce it. I use reef crystals as my salt

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my mag is up around 1600 and i don't dose anything can this be bad for corals and if so how can i reduce it. I use reef crystals as my salt

How did you measure it?

The issue that seems to arise that many folks see at elevated magnesium is lethargic snails. I do not recall hearing issues with corals.

John May

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the salifert mag test kit. I discovered that the elevated levels are due to the salt that I use. However, alot of my corals have been closing up more. My mg is 1600 as i mentioned, calc is 420, ph is 8.4, ammonia nitrate and nitrate all pretty low. Any ideas? Alk is around 8 also

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back