Anybody else get 0 tds from RO?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hey guys,

Recently picked up a used AquaFX rodi unit to replace my older RO/DI Buddy unit. I got new sediment and carbon filters and replaced the di resin. I used my old ro membrane and flow restictor because i was not sure of how well the used one would work (the used system was not maintained well). I also picked up an inline dual tds meter. I fired it up the other day for the first time and was plesantly surprised! 120 tds from the tap down to 0 after the ro stage and of course it remained 0 after the di. No wonder why my color changing resin on my last unit never changed color in almost a year! So, with that being said, how long do i run the di before its no good? It could take a really long time at 0 tds to change the color! Should i plan on every 6 months? Anybody else have the scenario?!

Thanks!

skipm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your effluent has a 0 reading there is no need to change out your DI resins, your water cannot get any purer than that.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys. So eventually my ro membrane will have some tds break through then my di will begin to exhaust right? Or is the di still removing things even though the ro water is already 0 tds? Basically is it possible to have the di membrane become exhausted if my ro is producing 0 tds? Im just using the BRS 4 stage value replacement filter kit, with the 1 micron filters. Im using this tds meter:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dm-2ec-commercial-dual-in-line-ec-monitor-hm-digital.html

Jinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates and silicates are very tiny and can fly under the radar with tds, it also depends how accurate the tds meter is, chances are the Di resin is still taking something out.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Phosphates and silicates are very tiny and can fly under the radar with tds, it also depends how accurate the tds meter is, chances are the Di resin is still taking something out.

So just watch my tds meter for break through?

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not quite at 0, but I get 1-2 going into the DI stages. My DI canisters are about half used from the home we lived in before, was anywhere from 11-30, and now that we moved to the new home I dont notice any color changes at all. Im not going to change them until it starts to show TDS coming through.

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just watch my tds meter for break through?

Yes.

If you have the color changing resin you will be able to get a good idea when it's starting to become exhausted.

And then just watch your TDS meter for it to start slowly Rising. Usually when my TDS rises from 0 to 3 after the DI resin that's when I change the DI out

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes.

If you have the color changing resin you will be able to get a good idea when it's starting to become exhausted.

And then just watch your TDS meter for it to start slowly Rising. Usually when my TDS rises from 0 to 3 after the DI resin that's when I change the DI out

Even if it takes a year or longer its ok to keep using that same resin?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back