Anybody get Lasik?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so advanced now that it's all done by machine, at least where I did it
I work in IT....that doesn't make me any more confident lol.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did 1 last year. To this day they have no idea what happened because my eyesight diminished after a week.
They had to go back & remove all the "floaters" but 1 pesky bug shows up once in a while,
Everything is fine now & I would do the other eye when needed. My surprise was how colors, especially white have changed since surgery. Astigmatism removed too.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it something specifc about your daughter's astigmatism that makes it to where she can't wear contacts? I only ask because I have astigmatism and I wear contacts, they just have to be toric lenses.
Can't say specifically but two different eye doctors have told her no.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For anybody whos interested there are some pretty good videos on youtube if you search all laser lasik or bladeless lasik...

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I'm nearly 40 and I haven't had to change prescriptions for my contacts in about 10 years so I'd say I'm good to have it done. I may start seriously look into having it done. I've always been afraid of healing time but it seems like I've probably worried for no reason.
You are getting on the tail end of when to get it done. Unless things have changed, I was in my late 30's when I had mine done and the Dr said I would still need reading glasses once my eyes started to change from old age. He said that usually starts at around 45. I have to use reading glasses now to read anything on my phone.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get it more than once. Sometimes places offer a "warranty" so that if your eyes do change years post surgery, they will correct at no extra expense.
That is true, but also depends on how much they had to laser. My friends wife had it done and it didn't work in one eye. They tried another time and it still didn't work. They said they couldn't do it anymore and so now she has to wear glasses to correct the vision in just one eye.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got lasik back in 2006 and have never looked back. i do get dry eyes every so often and i just need to make sure to use rewetting drops
I have the same problem. Never had that issue until after the surgery. The Dr said the laser kills some of the nerves in the eye and so it doesn't know your eye is getting dry.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are getting on the tail end of when to get it done. Unless things have changed, I was in my late 30's when I had mine done and the Dr said I would still need reading glasses once my eyes started to change from old age. He said that usually starts at around 45. I have to use reading glasses now to read anything on my phone.
My understanding is that what lasik corrects, and what requires reading glasses, are two different problems. Lasik corrects ability to see things far away. Reading glasses are due to something along the lines of a muscle that helps focus your vision close up getting weaker as you age. So I think they are unrelated.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, ultimately I'd rather continue to wear contacts than to have to wear reading glasses to see anything on my phone

MMcKenna1029

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Lasik a few years back. It's been awesome. I have worn either glasses or contacts every moment except sleeping since I was 10 so very literally life changing.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that what lasik corrects, and what requires reading glasses, are two different problems. Lasik corrects ability to see things far away. Reading glasses are due to something along the lines of a muscle that helps focus your vision close up getting weaker as you age. So I think they are unrelated.
Correct. But if you wait until late in life to do lasik, then you are back to wearing glasses in a few years. I was lucky and it didn't hit me until I turned 50.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an astygmatism and old man eyes, but the part I worry about, I cannot be in a car with a heater on or defroster on if you are using the heat function, my eyes will hurt so bad it feels like someone is poking my eyes with a needle, I never thought I would be a good candidate

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back