Anybody using a triton sump? looking for OP's

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my trigger 44 a lot and I am not running triton. I don’t have any macroalgae at all actually. I am dosing carbon and skimming heavily. My experience is with new system carbon is easier to control. After a year or two the system stabilizes I will cut down on carbon dosing and transform to triton.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agree. Even on the 39 the skimmer area is very limiting. You basically are forced into space saver skimmers because the external pumps won't fit, or the dimensions are the exact same as the sumps, lol.

I was actually looking into the Triton sumps just for more room, but without a sock option it was a deal breaker.

The Tideline series, at 48 inches, is a good option as well. A bit more expensive because they're only from retail stores. But they have two 7" socks instead of three 4" and a lot more room.

I use an external skimmer which solved both issues because from time to time I put a sock on the skimmer drain line to polish the water. Gets clogged quite easily usually within two days.

However external skimmer is louder so that’s the caveat.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got the sump under the stand. I had to cut out a horizontal front brace. I know this hurts the integrity of the stand .I t is an old iron stand. Remember those? LOL
just wanted to get op's on this . Don't want the front legs sliding outward . I can bolt another in it'place.
HPIM9332.JPG

HPIM9335.JPG

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening ! I finally got the sump ,light etc I'll put some Chaeto in there tomorrow . The object is to get the algae to grow in the refugium instead of the display !
I'll be back when something happens. Speaking of skimmers, I won the tunze skimmer giveaway ! Maybe it has a smaller foot print & I can get this Monster Reef Octo skimmer outta of there .
HPIM9342.JPG

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all that worry about the skimmer fitting in the tiny skimmer section . I installed this new Tunze & it's running great. I hope it's big enough . I'm not used to smaller skimmers. That's about it for this thread. If I don't feel like it's working ,I'll install the reef octo Thanks for all the info !
HPIM9359.JPG

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back