Anybody using a triton sump? looking for OP's

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Saint ! How are Ya Brother Man ! Hey a pic speaks a thousand words . Thanks !
This was the first draft, we shortened it to make it centered on the drain after this, but since i was waiting on this, i glued it on before taking any pics...

Im good bud, you? I updated my build thread on here today so i am about keyboarded out haha

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question for You Folks . You see any issues placing a skimmer in a" small" section . It will be very tight on the sides so I'm concerned about vibration. I could find some type of thin shim to hold it in place.
Also the concern of water from the discharge may want to splash making noise & salt creep .ican slip a 45% fitting to divert down. The skimmer pump intake will be free & clear so no prob there.
That's all I can think of .what am I missing? Thanks, Brian

freddyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the issue about filter socks. If I did my plumbing over again I would probably have created a hack to enable a filter sock in a different chamber temporarily. It may not be a big deal but I am no pro, the tank is young.

I think it is also worth noting that there is no access to the first chamber where the three intakes from the overflow are except through a narrow slot. After 6 months of ownership It has not been a problem but make sure you can move or remove your overflow pipes if you ever want to get into that chamber and clean the acrylic.

The fuge is huge which I like but overall the sump really does try to keep you with the Triton method. The size of the refugium can introduce challenges if you want to try another method.

I built an additional divider out of egg crate to separate the refugium from the skimmer section by about 2 inches to keep algae out of the divider teeth. This reduced noise by keeping the teeth clean so that the water always flows evenly.

It looks nice and the various dividers are really flexible. I would probably buy it again.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks freddyk that whole top & drains have gotta go. I'm using a herbie bean & need tto get the siphon depth just right. Also the huge fuge is what I want . i should be all pumped up about ordering .but I just a feeling of hesitation I don't like. ponder2.gif

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the issue about filter socks. If I did my plumbing over again I would probably have created a hack to enable a filter sock in a different chamber temporarily. It may not be a big deal but I am no pro, the tank is young.

I think it is also worth noting that there is no access to the first chamber where the three intakes from the overflow are except through a narrow slot. After 6 months of ownership It has not been a problem but make sure you can move or remove your overflow pipes if you ever want to get into that chamber and clean the acrylic.

This is the issue I really have a problem with. I hard plumbed my drain line into the supplied pipe on the acrylic cover. I have a union above it but it's still a huge pain to get in to that chamber for cleaning. It looks really clean and is completely silent though. Also using a sock is really difficult because of it. I wouldn't buy it again because of this.

freddyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks freddyk that whole top & drains have gotta go. I'm using a herbie bean & need tto get the siphon depth just right. Also the huge fuge is what I want . i should be all pumped up about ordering .but I just a feeling of hesitation I don't like. ponder2.gif
Overall you have a really slick sump in the mail.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, it's on the way ! I pray the fish gods smile upon my skimmer fitting ok !
Again Thanks Everyone for the insight , Brian

crabbydan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using a triton sump for about 2 weeks will try to send pictures shortly. Not using trition method yet still deciding. I love the adjustable baffles but hate the placement and size of the tiny screws, my big dad hands cant reach them half the time without quick disconnecting the pump.

crabbydan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using a triton sump for about 2 weeks will try to send pictures shortly. Not using trition method yet still deciding. I love the adjustable baffles but hate the placement and size of the tiny screws, my big dad hands cant reach them half the time without quick disconnecting the pump.

c2ada9782f1cb906d79a90fc4f7f870c.jpg

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crabbydan Thanks for the pics ! I can see a lot I was concerned about . So it looks like the cap covering the drains can be removed ?
What's the sump size & brand & type of skimmer ?
Thanks, Brian

crabbydan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crabbydan Thanks for the pics ! I can see a lot I was concerned about . So it looks like the cap covering the drains can be removed ?
What's the sump size & brand & type of skimmer ?
Thanks, Brian

Sump is the triton 44 by trigger. It’s built solid. Im not dosing yet but will eventually. Size is 44x16x15 high
My skimmer is the vertex omega 150. Another Black Friday Buy. Love this skimmer as long as my water level is 9 inches it works like a dream. I have been using it almost 3 years now. I take it out and clean it once a year. Knock on wood.

crabbydan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is the triton 44 by trigger. It’s built solid. Im not dosing yet but will eventually. Size is 44x16x15 high
My skimmer is the vertex omega 150. Another Black Friday Buy. Love this skimmer as long as my water level is 9 inches it works like a dream. I have been using it almost 3 years now. I take it out and clean it once a year. Knock on wood.

503886a8140da0e3d7278ea92d6c93ed.jpg

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet ! Same one I ordered .
I asked about your skimmer because the section & my skimmer have the same foot print ! :confused:
Anyway I shall see on the 31st !

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that & was curious . Nice tank & setup !

crabbydan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that & was curious . Nice tank & setup !

I went crazy on this new build 2 pumps one solely for return to tank the other to a manifold that’s runs on three sides of the tank with 7 valves off of it funny only using 3 valves so far 1 goes to third sump drain line for extra circulation other goes to temp sock other flows over fuge hoping to build that to a spray bar eventually to move Chaeto around. Other valves are for carbon or gfo reactor. And if I ever want to run a chiller/bio pellets/scrubber or anything else I got it ready.

Back