OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build your own! Can get exactly what you want for a fraction of the retail price
I built the one I have. Couldn't get the cuts nice & smooth I have a good table saw With a new fancy blade but didn't pay attention to this . Anyway I'm not going to mess with a build this time,

crabbydan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would love to build my own. but 1 I dont have the skills and 2 I dont have the tools.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all great insight ! Thanks for sharing . I have a custom sump lined up it's an inch longer, no big deal . However I get to install the walls where I want. But it's another 300 +$$ . That amount in my pocket " is " a big deal to me ! The big if is getting the skimmer to fit. The skinmmer section & foot print of the skimmer are the same ! :confused:

That's a tough call with the skimmer and sump chamber having the same dimensions. It could either just barely fit, fit wedged against the walls, or not fit. I avoided the skimmer I wanted because it was too expensive to find out and then possibly have to return the skimmer which would cost a small fortune.

I contacted Trigger and the actual dimensions on some sumps are 3/4" bigger or smaller than the listed dimensions of the chambers (which were just rounded off).

Have you looked into the Tideline sumps? I don't know why they're brick and mortar stores only, but probably has to due with shipping such a large sump.

And yes, if the Triton sumps are like the regular models, the drain plates are removable. They come with 2 plates, one has two 1" pipes, the other has three 1" pipes. It's just that they use an overflow into the sock chamber. So even if you removed the plate, it would still empty into that small area and overflow into the socks.

You can also remove the sock chamber cover and plumb the drains directly into each sock, but then you run the chance of the socks getting clogged and running back into that small over flow section that would remain stagnant, unless you could wall it off.

Which sump did you go with?

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Forsaken77 thanks for the reply. The part about average width could either have shopping for a skimmer or make it a breeze . very interesting ! if it's really smaller I may have to return it which will cost me and just go with the custom I had lined up It's on the way any how so we shall see .
I ordered the Triton 44 model .

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the sump just now ! It's so beautiful I'm gonna cry ! :rolleyes:
I'm afraid to measure the skimmer section ! LOL it's right at 9.5 inches inside.
I'm confident I can mod a little & fit with a tiny tad to spare.
HPIM9316.JPG

Last edited:

crabbydan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the sump just now ! It's so beautiful I'm gonna cry ! :rolleyes:
I'm afraid to measure the skimmer section ! LOL it's right at 9.5 inches inside.
I'm confident I can mod a little & fit with a tiny tad to spare.
HPIM9316.JPG

Let me know if you figure out how to use this algae blocker thing/piece?

5c8accb0ae226d8b56b1b96ff5af111c.jpg

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crabbydan . I'd be happy to that. I haven't removed it from the box yet but I can see several of the panels none wave that cut in them.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here it goes !
HPIM9318.JPG
fit with room to spare
HPIM9321.JPG

fit ok just a tad to spare HPIM9323.JPG
Cup & all took a few minutes & I'm happy Cracker Boy !

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crabbydan I ran across the piece You showed. I certainly haven't gotten to that point yet. I have realized the sump is unusually void of any instruction like none !

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crabbydan I can't figure out where that piece goes . Even the drilled holes don't line up with existing threaded holes . there is another light blue piece I assume works with the adjustable water level . I can't figure how it fits or I'll even need it. I think I will install this weekend. I'm making a new barrel of water as I type .

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think I need to take the sump outside & at least rinse it out ? I certainly don't want to soak in water & vinegar over night ! Other than that I think I got everything covered. ponder.png

crabbydan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put mine on a yoga mat in the garage filled it up put a pump in it and ran a hose from the pump to the intake drain holes and made sure it didn't leak. That was my rinse out process i used ro water not rodi water.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya Your right. I'm being lazy. Gotta learn to pay attention to details.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Lord People, The stand is right at 1/8 of an inch too narrow for the sump to fit ! OH MAN this hurts ;Blackeye

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Lord People, The stand is right at 1/8 of an inch too narrow for the sump to fit ! OH MAN this hurts ;Blackeye

If you found that out with enough time to make it to the Lowe’s parking lot before they close, but not enough time to make it to the door, you’ve got my luck.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m too late for that. I got a wild hair & started this real late. I blew this big time All my fault. What's the old saying , measure 20 times & cut 5 ?

crabbydan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m too late for that. I got a wild hair & started this real late. I blew this big time All my fault. What's the old saying , measure 20 times & cut 5 ?
Wood stand? Can you router out 1/8 inch?

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it's the old iron stand. I can cut it off enough but will need replacing eventually. This will buy me the most time & what I really want to do.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back