Anyone actually have mollies?

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve read about this for a while now and mollies can become fully saltwater if acclimated SLOWLY and CAREFULLY. However, I haven’t actually seen a reef or saltwater aquarium that actually has mollies in them. Anyone have them? If so pls post pics I’d be interested to see them

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jedimasterben on here and nano-reef usually has a single molly in his tanks.

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to very slowly aclimate mollies to saltwater for my frag tank (I hear they are amazing at eating algae). However I think the high flow in my frag tank was always too much, they would hide in the low flow areas and eventually after a few days to a week surcome to it.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’ve read about this for a while now and mollies can become fully saltwater if acclimated SLOWLY and CAREFULLY. However, I haven’t actually seen a reef or saltwater aquarium that actually has mollies in them. Anyone have them? If so pls post pics I’d be interested to see them

I don't have any at the moment but I have in the past. Are you wondering if it is a fairy tale or a unicorn?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started a little over a year ago I tried to acclimate mollies into my refugium I think I acclimated 2 fast cuz they died quickly

U

User1

View Badges
I used to keep them in the sump and raise the babies for use as live food

I feel so guilty for liking this post but this is actually a grand idea. Don't get me wrong, I like what you wrote but the whole use as live food bit upon first read is a bit dark - even for the mollies :)

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to very slowly aclimate mollies to saltwater for my frag tank (I hear they are amazing at eating algae). However I think the high flow in my frag tank was always too much, they would hide in the low flow areas and eventually after a few days to a week surcome to it.

Did they end up dying or were they fine?

Fotocha

I have nightmares of jumping fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question that has been eating me for a while now. Why just Mollies?

Most of the live birth group from fresh water will interbreed. Guppies, Platies, Swordtails, and Mollies. I'm curious if it's only Mollies that can be housed in a saltwater aquarium or is it certain types of mollies? o_O

Last edited:

Jeight

Mumble
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefgirl_ (and use the underscore or it will be nsfw ) on youtube keeps mollies in her tank with great results check her vids out

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 of them in my reef. No pictures because they stay in the back and nibble at the algae on the rear glass and never come to the front. They have been in there about 5 weeks. I acclimated them in about 45 minutes, no problems.
They look fine and are eating well.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sustainable Aquatics breeds them in salt water specifically for reefs. They are great algae eaters and yes, live food when babies.

I used to keep a breeding tank of them in hyposaline water to keep a food source for my predator tank.

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been involved with some long threads debating the acclimation- it seems like people who just put them in fairly quickly did better then people who tried to do it over a long period.

I have done it in under an hour and they look stressed the first day, then are fine.

Peter Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little over 10 years ago I had a guppy I kept in the sump. Most of the ones I tried to slowly acclimate didn't make it but the one I just put right in did. Go figure. It was originally meant as live food for triggers but it was far faster than them. In the blink of an eye it would be 3 feet away on the other side of the tank. It took less than a week for the triggers to just give up trying and at that point I felt the guppy earned the right to live in the sump.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a couple times but didn't have long term success. First time acclimation was about 1 hour. A few of the fish lasted a few days in the reef. They never looked very happy though and I thought the flow might have been too much.

The second time I used a 3 hour acclimation but none of them even survived a full day/night.

Have heard of some people literally dropping the fish right in with no acclimation. If I try again, it will be in a small tank with low flow. Maybe my QT tank would be a good place. The lagoon is NO GO because of the humu trigger that will certainly eat them all within seconds. :0)

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question that has been eating me for a while now. Why just Mollies?

o_O

In the wild mollies live in creeks near the ocean so they can go from fresh to brackish to salt and back. I have not had any in my reef tank but I have seen them in LFS in the salt water section. If I was going to acclimate them I would increase the salinity close to a tidal pattern.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that guppies can live in salt water and even breed in it. How cool would that be :rolleyes:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back