Anyone actually have mollies?

U

User1

View Badges
It’s called the circle of life... do you feel bad for that hamburger or hotdog you just ate?

I have FW mollies, SW mollies and real brackish water mollies.... my SW and BW mollies are there strictly for breeding for food and it makes no difference... my FW mollies are not there for food but yet they get eaten mostly before I get up in the morning.... but my point of the post is again circle of life... like someone else mentioned the pods....or you eating any kind of meat.... it’s all the same

I know what it is called. It was more about me hitting the 'Like' button in relationship to natural food and how I found it ironic or at the time similar to dark comedy. Nothing more.

Brian Van Fleet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read about people keeping black mollies as a preverbial canary in a coal mine. the jet black bodies show marine Ich super clearly very early on.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to slowly acclimate half of them and quickly "acclimate" the other half and see if there is any difference in survival. It will be a low sample size so certainly not scientific/statistically rigorous but worth a shot anyway.

There's a study that shows it's best to acclimate them to brackish water for 24 hours (15ppt) before putting them into full saltwater (35ppt)

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve read about this for a while now and mollies can become fully saltwater if acclimated SLOWLY and CAREFULLY. However, I haven’t actually seen a reef or saltwater aquarium that actually has mollies in them. Anyone have them? If so pls post pics I’d be interested to see them
If you go to YouTube and check out Reefbuilders videos, you will see a bunch of mollies in Jake Adams "studio", in his most recent video.
He may also have a video on how he acclimated them, but I'm not sure.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add me to the Molly Gang ... I used a spare little Aqueon 2G betta tank to quarantine & acclimate three black mollies over the course of a month. I was in no rush to acclimate them quickly to SW, so I simply upped the SG with each small water change ever so gradually.

In a 180G tank, those little suckers are amazingly fast lol. ;Joyful

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read about people keeping black mollies as a preverbial canary in a coal mine. the jet black bodies show marine Ich super clearly very early on.

What if it's black ich?

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to very slowly aclimate mollies to saltwater for my frag tank (I hear they are amazing at eating algae). However I think the high flow in my frag tank was always too much, they would hide in the low flow areas and eventually after a few days to a week surcome to it.
I had no problem with acclimation but they are not built to handle high flow.

markfmvl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both mollies and guppies in salt water. I actually have some that I am slowly acclimating to salt by just topping off evaporation with salt water. They are doing fine.

markfmvl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a set that I am acclimating to salt water slowly. I'm juat toping off the qt tank with salt water instead of fresh. they are up to about 1.020 shortly before that level the panda molly didn't make it, but some of the other females (all black mollies with a orange sail fin male) had babies. there were about 20 in there. we will see how they do. I have, along time ago, converted guppies to salt. I think that they don't do as well as mollies. I'm kind of thinking the same about the panda mollies. I had some earlier that I tried to convert and all died but one in a short time. the other lived in the sump for a while and then disappeared. never tried swords, so I can't comment on that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back