Anyone awoke to the sound of sprinkler popping noises and hydrogen gas to find a leak from their ATO?

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning all,

I just had the scariest thing happen but I am attempting to narrow down how this occurred and prevent it from occurring again. This is a RS Nano Max with Apex EL, Trident, DOS, etc. with ATK and Trigger Systems 5g ATO.

Yesterday, I did a 4g or 20% water change without issue and added 2g to my ATO tank. I used the scheduled water change or manual option to do this.

From time to time, I find that sometimes the system will take out a little more water than it puts back in (no worries, I just pour the remainder in). I noticed last evening though that I turned the ATK back on (the awesome default programing of this leaves the ATO on during the water change, someone said to contact them, they had me write some condition that does nothing and nags me instead so I just turn it off until I am done). As such, water change was complete around 6pm and I turned the ATK back on. I did not force it to add anything because usually it has enough evap that it comes on later in the evening.

12 hours later.... I enter the office and I hear sprinklers, which could be the case outside. I get closer and smell ozone and hydrogen gas.... hmm... no sprinkler heads popping, nooo that is my Apex energy bar all wet in the floor of the nano cabinet (this one is on me as I am slowly migrating to a Reefer 250). Where this water came from, beats me but it does appear to come from the ATO. I have never had a Trigger Systems ATO leak but that is what it looks like. The only other item I can think but doesn't appear to be the case from the photo.... does the ATK, if not powered back on attempt to do a reverse siphon if not enabled fast enough?

unnamed.jpg

I ask this because while I would think the ATO would have been totally full in that case, after triaging all of this and turning the power off, etc. I noticed that the ATK had bubbles coming from it when not powered on. I presume this could be a problem but was not in this case and the ATO seams decided to give way?

Thoughts?

OP
OP
OfficeReefer

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like the container is leaking.
That's what I thought but I've dried it off and noticed it was full after... bubbles were coming up from the PMUP and I thought... the ATO is siphoning water somehow... I did test the salinity and it appears that is somewhat so. Tank salinity was similar but water was low. ATO was at the top suddenly and had 1.001 instead of 1.

Still no leakage from Trigger Systems ATO. Has anyone had one leak or a similar issue where water level somehow siphoned down from ATK into PMUP inside ATO?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back