Anyone decorate their tank with ornaments?

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural-looking saltwater tanks are stunning on their own, but I'm itching to incorporate some unnatural decor into my tanks!

I know the majority of marine aquarists prefer a natural look, so I'm finding it hard to see examples of saltwater tanks that include artificial decor.

Anyone have a tank they wouldn't mind sharing that uses ornaments as part of the aquascape?

Edit to add: my new obsession was inspired by @rvamarcel 's gorgeous tiki tank!

jlancas81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170111_135126.jpeg

JBradford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a post one time where a guy busted a glass bottle and made it look old for his tank. I think it's an awesome idea because whether we like it or not the ocean is full of trash. Some just adds a cool flare.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a post one time where a guy busted a glass bottle and made it look old for his tank. I think it's an awesome idea because whether we like it or not the ocean is full of trash. Some just adds a cool flare.

That is an interesting idea...kind of like what you'd actually see diving.

kdragon64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some roman tower column decorations from Petco that I've incorporated into my live rock aquascape in my reef tank. However, they are hollow and I'm concerned the water inside them will get stagnant since I took out the aerators. I'd like to fill in the hollowed out inside with an inexpensive reef safe filler (there is a lot of volume to fill as these things are pretty big).
I would really appreciate any good suggestions for what's the best thing to use for this purpose and how long I might have before these things may cause me problems from the water inside not being circulated.

kdragon64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have some Roman columns from Petco, but they are hollow, and I'm afraid the water inside will become stagnant since I removed the aerators. Does anyone have any good ideas on an inexpensive, reef safe way to fill the void (they are quite large)?

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have some Roman columns from Petco, but they are hollow, and I'm afraid the water inside will become stagnant since I removed the aerators. Does anyone have any good ideas on an inexpensive, reef safe way to fill the void (they are quite large)?

I had this same question! The answer suggested to me was to fill the inside with pond foam! I bought it ages ago but have been too chicken to use it yet...let me know how it goes for you! [emoji23]

Here's the thread: Adding rocks or other stuff to my tank

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Adding-rocks-or-other-stuff-to-my-tank.283959/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back