Anyone DIY a no water change substrate vac?

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have automatic water changes set up, the water it takes to vaccum out the sand seems like such a waste. Plus I have to make sure I have enough mixed salt water ready to replace what im going to suck up. If I don't then I have to wait 24 hours. Simply put, it's a hassle. Seems like a no waste water vac would be key in the situation. I'm sure someone has made one, has anyone on here?

I'm sure we've all see those cheap electric gravel vacs on Amazon. Those seem very underpowered and more like a gimmic. I'm sure they would do OK for a goldfish tank or something.

I was thinking something more along the lines of buying a cheap pump off amazon, connecting a siphon vac to the intake and inserting some filter pads or a catch chamber somewhere along the line. Or maybe throw a filter sock on the return section of the pump.

Figured I'd ask before I start building one from scratch.

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just siphon into a large 5 micron bag that drains into your sump or a bucket. sump would be best for continuous siphoning. just watch your water levels in the sump so you don't overflow it.

5 micron filter bag

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started doing this by siphoning into a filter sock in the sump as mentioned above. Worked great.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 12V diaphragm pump based vac that i use to clean my pico and nano. I basically sucks water and runs it through a canister filter cartridge before pushing it back in the tank. I have also attached a slightly slanted 1/2" rigid clear acrylic tubing for convenience. If you want i can post a pic tomorrow.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it was brs, but I believe I seen someone use a single reverse osmosis canister with a sediment filter in it. A vacuum and pump on one side to suck up the Dirt, and the other side was the water return into the tank.

OP
OP
MarshallB

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are all great ideas. Im not sure why i never thought about just running the siphon hose into a filter sock. I'm pretty sure i have a old canister filter somewhere for my fresh water tanks. Good Ideas!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back