Anyone else afraid of emerald crabs?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2. Lost both to equipment failure. Sorta. Long story. I recently purchased live rock off kijiji and now notice a lot of Vermetid snail tubes. Not sure if snails in there but assume so. I understand that hermit crabs eat them? So considering getting a couple for my 110g.

1 - how many would you put in there?
2 - anyone else afraid of them? The 2 I had for a limited time were small. Less than an inch. They get to 2.5. Every time I spot fed em, they lept up to the food in full on beast mode. Even charged at my finger once and scared me senseless. So I’m reluctant to get more.
3 - anyone been pinched by one of these guys? A big one? How’d that go? I know they wouldn’t intentionally pinch a person (probably) but still

EDIT: I’m afraid of EMERALD CRABS. Not hermits. My bad

Last edited:

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously?

Um they are tiny crabs that couldn't even pinch a person except for perhaps a toddler's finger, maybe...

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actual picture of my emerald crab:

crab.png

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actual picture of my emerald crab:

crab.png

;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

Thank you in advance for tonight’s nightmares ;Shifty

So in your initial post title you talk of emerald crabs and in your first post you mention hermit crabs, which if I may ask are you referring to? Not that either is a concern for harming you as I don't think either could/would.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3D8CFDB4-14E1-4FE7-95B9-65F6EB736BC3.jpeg
Seriously?

Um they are tiny crabs that couldn't even pinch a person except for perhaps a toddler's finger, maybe...

Tiny? Uhhh no. And 1 of my guys would get a death grip on my turkey baster during spot feedings. Like my pistol shrimp does but he doesn’t scare me for some reason. I’ve had a 145 pound mastiff that ppl crossed the street to avoid. I befriended my sister’s 75 pound pit bull within 15 min of meeting him and having him growl at me. I’m no chicken. But these emerald crabs have be shook. You should have seen the way they sprang out of their cave. All crazy spider on steroids like and terrifying. I can’t be the only one!!!

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

So in your initial post title you talk of emerald crabs and in your first post you mention hermit crabs, which if I may ask are you referring to? Not that either is a concern for harming you as I don't think either could/would.

Oops. My bad. I meant emerald crabs. I love my hermits. Hand feed em an everything. My avatar is pinchie. My 1st SW purchase over 2 yrs ago. No fear there.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3D8CFDB4-14E1-4FE7-95B9-65F6EB736BC3.jpeg

Tiny? Uhhh no. And 1 of my guys would get a death grip on my turkey baster during spot feedings. Like my pistol shrimp does but he doesn’t scare me for some reason. I’ve had a 145 pound mastiff that ppl crossed the street to avoid. I befriended my sister’s 75 pound pit bull within 15 min of meeting him and having him growl at me. I’m no chicken. But these emerald crabs have be shook. You should have seen the way they sprang out of their cave. All crazy spider on steroids like and terrifying. I can’t be the only one!!!

Good lord... drama much

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. My bad. I meant emerald crabs. I love my hermits. Hand feed em an everything. My avatar is pinchie. My 1st SW purchase over 2 yrs ago. No fear there.

Lol no worries, I've held and hand fed my emeralds before with no issue. I don't see why you wouldn't have the same experience. They are pretty comical to feed as well :)

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol no worries, I've held and hand fed my emeralds before with no issue. I don't see why you wouldn't have the same experience. They are pretty comical to feed as well :)

Maybe I got a really aggressive one? I tried hand feeding it like my hermits and it came at me so fast it freaked me out. I did enjoy watching them when they weren’t hiding though and did enjoy spot feeding them w the turkey baster. I’m just worried about having to move a rock and being paranoid about one of em hiding under it or something

mikus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my emeralds. Just put a few more in my display today actually (newer tank and dealing with some HA issues, very minor) and they ate all the algae in no time! I also put a few in my fuge. Chaeto began to grow HA on it, as well as on some of the rubble and glass. I don't want to speak too soon, but the 3 I put in there are crushing it! I also dialed my H380's photo period down...

MiamiConnie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2. Lost both to equipment failure. Sorta. Long story. I recently purchased live rock off kijiji and now notice a lot of Vermetid snail tubes. Not sure if snails in there but assume so. I understand that hermit crabs eat them? So considering getting a couple for my 110g.

2 - anyone else afraid of them? The 2 I had for a limited time were small. Less than an inch. They get to 2.5. Every time I spot fed em, they lept up to the food in full on beast mode. Even charged at my finger once and scared me senseless. So I’m reluctant to get more.
3 - anyone been pinched by one of these guys? A big one? How’d that go? I know they wouldn’t intentionally pinch a person (probably) but still

They are scary lol I have 3 in my tank and it took me time to get them in the tank after acclimating because I was scared. I saw one clamp on to the guys finger in the lfs. But they are great at cleaning. No more bubble algae for me

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The bigger emeralds will most definitely pinch a person's finger on purpose. They don't seem to care how big anything is. They'll attack. Obviously some are more aggressive.

They sit there and snap at fish that swim by. It's almost a small version of a blue-claw crab, but seems much stronger for its size.

chawalte-qcvux5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the other day I was placing some frags and my emerald decided my hand was too close. He is quite the feisty one.

Afterwards he walked over to the frag, got glue all over his pinchers... genius.... Over the next hour it was hilarious to watch him getting it off. He's fine now and hopefully learned his lesson about messing with me and the new "decorations" I put in his house. LOL

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 45.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back