Mine likes to say hi to me! See... I think he likes me

CF0B18A0-5456-42C0-BD1E-EE93211276B0.gif

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3D8CFDB4-14E1-4FE7-95B9-65F6EB736BC3.jpeg

Tiny? Uhhh no. And 1 of my guys would get a death grip on my turkey baster during spot feedings. Like my pistol shrimp does but he doesn’t scare me for some reason. I’ve had a 145 pound mastiff that ppl crossed the street to avoid. I befriended my sister’s 75 pound pit bull within 15 min of meeting him and having him growl at me. I’m no chicken. But these emerald crabs have be shook. You should have seen the way they sprang out of their cave. All crazy spider on steroids like and terrifying. I can’t be the only one!!!
Our paranoia is our own and not for others to judge. Why do some people wig about about clowns? Considering that these crabs have claws as big as their entire body, I get it, from a certain perspective.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're definitely not alone in the fear. New workers at the LFS would use nets to get them out of the invert tanks, but the seasoned workers just pick them out with their hands. I am much more annoyed with the prospect of accidentally grabbing a bristle worm while reaching for the Emeralds than the emerald crabs themselves.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added six of them to a 65g. Had a very minor bubble algae issue. the first two didn't go after it, so I got four more.

It's a size thing. My biggest emerald was maybe 1.5" (the others were much smaller) and he really struggled with any of the BA bigger than a beebee. He just couldn't fit it into his mouth.

They don't bother me at all. I see they can pinch, but their claws are so small. If one were to grab hold, you know what to expect... a very small, intense pinch. Now, the peppermint shrimp! I don't really understand how he works or where his mouth is. Wierds me out when I'm trying to glue down a frag and he's going all tickle-happy on my hand... ewwww, ughhh, errrr

Tony R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2. Lost both to equipment failure. Sorta. Long story. I recently purchased live rock off kijiji and now notice a lot of Vermetid snail tubes. Not sure if snails in there but assume so. I understand that hermit crabs eat them? So considering getting a couple for my 110g.

1 - how many would you put in there?
2 - anyone else afraid of them? The 2 I had for a limited time were small. Less than an inch. They get to 2.5. Every time I spot fed em, they lept up to the food in full on beast mode. Even charged at my finger once and scared me senseless. So I’m reluctant to get more.
3 - anyone been pinched by one of these guys? A big one? How’d that go? I know they wouldn’t intentionally pinch a person (probably) but still

EDIT: I’m afraid of EMERALD CRABS. Not hermits. My bad
At risk of sounding dramatic. My emerald crab scared me so bad my soul almost left my body Haha. I'm not the biggest fan of spiders see... so during rock rearrangement I put one piece on the floor on top of a towel after a quick once over for snails. Sure enough about 20 minutes later when I went to pick up the dang rock the emerald crab starting running on the towel. It looked like a giant spider! I almost squished the dang thing! Thankfully I caught him and he was totally fine... but quite the spooking.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At risk of sounding dramatic. My emerald crab scared me so bad my soul almost left my body Haha. I'm not the biggest fan of spiders see... so during rock rearrangement I put one piece on the floor on top of a towel after a quick once over for snails. Sure enough about 20 minutes later when I went to pick up the dang rock the emerald crab starting running on the towel. It looked like a giant spider! I almost squished the dang thing! Thankfully I caught him and he was totally fine... but quite the spooking.

Not dramatic at all. I share your fear of spiders and I think that’s part of why emerald crabs freak me out so dang much. They’re like armoured spiders who hide and lunge at food. Not as spider esq as arrow crabs much much bulkier. As a side note: I steer well clear of arrow crabs lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back