Anyone else allergic to their tank?

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algea and bacteria can host neuro and necro toxins. Blue green algea aka cyano bacteria are big contributors and are carcinogenic. The EPA has done studies and is a hot topic amount park and wildlife managers that have bodies of water. If your having a reaction something is there, I would use protection at all times.

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I break out with red bumps whenever I work in my tank without gloves. Usually it’s only from the wrists up to past my elbow. Very strange but since it started I try to remember to wear my shoulder length gloves. If I forget, I’ll have dozens of red itchy bumps all over and the only thing that somewhat helps is taking Benadryl.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of us are a bit allergic to the water or corals. Does your hand just swell or ache, do you have a rash, is it both hands. Because the rim of my tank is high and I have to get on ladder to reach bottom of tank I put weird pressure on my arms which will cause some swelling in my hands.

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of us are a bit allergic to the water or corals. Does your hand just swell or ache, do you have a rash, is it both hands. Because the rim of my tank is high and I have to get on ladder to reach bottom of tank I put weird pressure on my arms which will cause some swelling in my hands.
No pain, just swelling and redness. It's gone already. It usually only lasts about a day. It really could be any number of things I suppose. I've been stung by corals and anemones of various types. I've been pricked by bristle worms and a long spine urchin. This is different from any of those.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it doesn't ache in your joints I'm thinking it's not bacterial. Any goniopora in your tank? Could be nematocysts floating around. Not enough to feel a direct sting per say but enough to "irritate" the skin. Purely anecdotal ofcourse, I'm far from a doctor. Lol.

albyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be. But I didn't see any so who knows.

I never saw until one day. my cleaner shrimp started yanking at the rock I was worried at first my blenny was in their. because the shrimp won’t leave him alone and it was getting intense but mr shrimply pibbles that’s the skunk shrimp pulled out a bristle worm at least 2in and I had not added anything new in at least 6 months. And always try to check for pests at night so they are sneaky if they want to be

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an old thread but I too get contact dermititis when I touch anything in my tank and never had it before the tank. I've got palys, I'm also 90% sure it's the palys releasing the toxins on a small level, but I've also heard of Hammer coral allergies and I've got a couple of them too. To be safe I ordered the long arm length gloves from Amazon for $14.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back