Anyone else done with mp40s

Stackrat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we all agree? Tunze has quality parts?
To a point. I have a Tunze 6025 or 6045 (not sure) running in my sump that hasn't been cleaned for about 13 years. Still going strong. On the other side, I've had 3 Tunze 6105's that have all died on me when the cable destroyed itself where it goes into the motor. At £230 each, that's a lot of wastage. Having said all that, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I could find one anywhere but they've been out of stock for about six months now.

In the interim, I'm left with two Maxspect Gyre 350's which work fantastically for about a week after cleaning and then slow down to a dribble and two MP40's delivered a few days ago, still sitting in their boxes. I'm hoping the Vortechs are half as good as the Tunzes were.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good food for thought here. I’ve seen MP’s recommended so many times on here, BRS, etc. that I’d always assumed they’re super reliable tried and true pumps. I even thought about buying 2 until I saw the price! Like all reviews I take everything with a grain of salt, and people who have problems will always be 10x amplified over those who set it and forgot it years ago with no problems. Maybe the real takeaway here is that most wave makers generally are just really hard working devices that are prone to failure and replacement. If so, the logical conclusion would be to spend as little as possible to get the flow you need knowing you’ll have to replace it.

That said, if I was going to spend $400 on a single pump I would expect it to be bulletproof. Even though you could consider the wet side a maintenance/replacement item, as others have stated it shouldn’t cost 1/4 the price of the entire unit and need replaced in less than 3-5 years. Not at these prices. Fundamentally the wet side is just some plastic and a ceramic shaft. The dry side is just a magnetic motor. It’s not rocket science and shouldn’t fetch NASA prices.

But I do think the toxic ad-hominem attacks need to stop. Just because someone judges an item as poor value doesn’t mean they can’t afford the hobby, or is poor, or doesn’t care about their reef and flow. End of the day a wave maker is very simple tech; a motor, a shaft, and a spinning blade to move water. It’s human nature to want to justify money spent, but it’s also not wrong for someone else to question the value proposition in the face of multiple failures and problems. Spending more money doesn’t necessarily mean higher quality or fewer problems but all too often that’s exactly what people try to argue even in the face of evidence to the contrary. To each their own, but for my part I’ll always be on the lookout for the best price:quality/longevity ratio and long term costs. Even if the price is sometimes high. However, I’d much rather run the risk of replacing a $100 pump every 1-2 years than spending $400 up front and still spending $100 every 1-2 years on replacement parts. That doesn’t make me poor or cheap, just financially literate. All things being equal.

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1643191352036.png

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost 4 years with a pair of MP40 with the same wetside. Cleaning, lubrication, proper spacer and alignment is what make them last. Still running strong. I also considered them expensive and avoided for a while, did a switch to test what was the hype about it and honestly very happy and will use it again.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good food for thought here. I’ve seen MP’s recommended so many times on here, BRS, etc. that I’d always assumed they’re super reliable tried and true pumps. I even thought about buying 2 until I saw the price! Like all reviews I take everything with a grain of salt, and people who have problems will always be 10x amplified over those who set it and forgot it years ago with no problems. Maybe the real takeaway here is that most wave makers generally are just really hard working devices that are prone to failure and replacement. If so, the logical conclusion would be to spend as little as possible to get the flow you need knowing you’ll have to replace it.

That said, if I was going to spend $400 on a single pump I would expect it to be bulletproof. Even though you could consider the wet side a maintenance/replacement item, as others have stated it shouldn’t cost 1/4 the price of the entire unit and need replaced in less than 3-5 years. Not at these prices. Fundamentally the wet side is just some plastic and a ceramic shaft. The dry side is just a magnetic motor. It’s not rocket science and shouldn’t fetch NASA prices.

But I do think the toxic ad-hominem attacks need to stop. Just because someone judges an item as poor value doesn’t mean they can’t afford the hobby, or is poor, or doesn’t care about their reef and flow. End of the day a wave maker is very simple tech; a motor, a shaft, and a spinning blade to move water. It’s human nature to want to justify money spent, but it’s also not wrong for someone else to question the value proposition in the face of multiple failures and problems. Spending more money doesn’t necessarily mean higher quality or fewer problems but all too often that’s exactly what people try to argue even in the face of evidence to the contrary. To each their own, but for my part I’ll always be on the lookout for the best price:quality/longevity ratio and long term costs. Even if the price is sometimes high. However, I’d much rather run the risk of replacing a $100 pump every 1-2 years than spending $400 up front and still spending $100 every 1-2 years on replacement parts. That doesn’t make me poor or cheap, just financially literate. All things being equal.
Lots of good stuff in this post.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is "financially literate" tho?
Just saying if the experiences here are true and you’re going to shell out $400 per pump and still expect to spend $100 every 1-2 years on parts vs. sticking with $100 pumps, that’s not exactly a sound financial decision everything else being equal (which it may not be). It might be a fair decision for other reasons, but this whole thread is about whether the MP’s provide quality/reliability commensurate with their price (I.e. value) vs. alternatives.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying if the experiences here are true and you’re going to shell out $400 per pump and still expect to spend $100 every 1-2 years on parts vs. sticking with $100 pumps, that’s not exactly a sound financial decision everything else being equal (which it may not be). It might be a fair decision for other reasons, but this whole thread is about whether the MP’s provide quality/reliability commensurate with their price (I.e. value) vs. alternatives.
It seems to be about 50/50 between people that don't have problems with people that do.
Some of that is most likely user error. Some is probably just the luck of the draw.
Mp 40's do much more than $100 pumps giving them intrinsically more value.
Then it's up to each individual to decide whether that extra value is worth it to them or not.
It's much more than the cost between said pumps. Mp 40's are more than worth it for me given the random flow they give out.
Just because you don't agree with me it doesn't mean I'm not "financially literate"and you are.
People that value what something does for them are probably more financially literate than people that look for the cheapest way to do something. Just saying.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Almost 4 years with a pair of MP40 with the same wetside. Cleaning, lubrication, proper spacer and alignment is what make them last. Still running strong. I also considered them expensive and avoided for a while, did a switch to test what was the hype about it and honestly very happy and will use it again.
Just bought 2 mp40 over tunze. The white shaft you lubricate? with what?

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought 2 mp40 over tunze. The white shaft you lubricate? with what?

DANCO Waterproof Silicone Faucet Grease​

Is safe and I have been using it for a few years now. Only use a bit in the ceramic shaft and the bottom of the shaft. When you get a new wet side, they have a lubricant there. My only problem is that they use too much of the lubricant, usually I remove that one and use only a bit of this one. Im currently using 4 MP40 in my tank, two of those been there for almost 4 years, the other two for 3. all with the same wet sides from the beginning, none of them have corroded or stopped working. And running those at 50% all the time.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Betting you didn't do routine maintenance of pulling, soaking in 5% Vinegar, then scrubbing with a toothbrush

Do that and you'll get 3 years

I used citric acid. I have two sets of wet sides. I soak them for 24 hours then brush them off. Having two sets of wet makes it easy..one set is always ready to change out..

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

DANCO Waterproof Silicone Faucet Grease​

Is safe and I have been using it for a few years now. Only use a bit in the ceramic shaft and the bottom of the shaft. When you get a new wet side, they have a lubricant there. My only problem is that they use too much of the lubricant, usually I remove that one and use only a bit of this one. Im currently using 4 MP40 in my tank, two of those been there for almost 4 years, the other two for 3. all with the same wet sides from the beginning, none of them have corroded or stopped working. And running those at 50% all the time.

Maybe you can post pics of where your talking about next time you do the maintenance

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha I started collecting those stickers! Total nonsense.
Screenshot_20220121-201529_Gallery.jpg
Please note I am being funny here making fun of ecotech saying they got wet... Perhaps the glass or the acrylic, depending on your tank ...allowed the magnet (dryside) to help water to somehow perform new version of osmosis and got the dry side ...WET...hahahah... and perhaps we should make a sticker to put on their sticker and send it back to them saying (you guys at ecotech are STUPID)

Back