Anyone else done with mp40s

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sick of replacing wet sides on my mp40s. Never again will I buy these dang things. I won’t even sell them to anyone else because I would feel bad they would need new wet sides every 6-10 months ridiculous for the price of wetsides I can buy jeboas yearly and not bother cleaning them. Rant over but seriously anyone else done.
Ecotech warranty period is 12 months so you should be good. I’m sure you already know this or it’s been said in the preceding 7 pages, but use citric acid instead of vinegar to clean them.
One of the things I try to do with wave makers is keep them in a mode where they aren’t turning off all the way when they ramp down. You get more fatigue going down to zero and cutting back on, vs always maintaining some small amount of torque. Never had an MP40 but my Jebao 0W-40 is 3+ years.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortec recommends not using vinegar. Citric acid.
Well known on this forum.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched return pumps and wave makers from eco tech to Jebao, Jebao is better in both ino

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sick of replacing wet sides on my mp40s. Never again will I buy these dang things. I won’t even sell them to anyone else because I would feel bad they would need new wet sides every 6-10 months ridiculous for the price of wetsides I can buy jeboas yearly and not bother cleaning them. Rant over but seriously anyone else done.
Sure it’s been told already but can’t read the whole thread. Bleach and vinaigrette kills them but haven’t replaced a wet side for two years after switching to citric acid. Don’t leave them in long

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you talking about I have a fully enclosed canopy
You said:

"I’m not frustrated with the hobby one bit I’m 16 years in and haven’t lost anything fish or coral wise in years. Just wetsides lol"

I was joking that your wetsides were jumping out like fish with out a net top.

That why you only lost wetsides.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? People pay $900 for lights. Thousands for the tank. Hundreds for frags. They'll even drop a grand on controllers.

Know what's more important than all those things? Flow.

Sure, you can create flow for less than $400 per. If you really want.

I won't pay $400 for a Vortech these days but I'll drop $400 on a Tunze in a heartbeat.

I didn't say that I would pay $1000 or hundreds for a controller. I never said I would pay that much for lighting. But regardless, wavemakers are such simple technology that $400 is insane. Those other options are also not equal. There is significant difference between them.. Unlike the other other options, wave makers are so simple that you can achieve ideal conditions without spending a ton.

Last edited:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because

I didn't say that I would pay $1000 or hundreds for a controller. I never said I would pay that much for lighting. But regardless, wavemakers are such simple technology that $400 is insane.
I don't know. I mean they do spin in circles...

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I felt the same way for the past 10 years, but then I got some on my new 180 1.5 years ago. I only use 2 MP40's.

Not having wires in the tank is a big deal to me. The inside of the tank looks much less cluttered. Spend all this money getting a sump to keep equipment out of view, only to fill the tank with wires and power heads that stick out further etc. I figured on the new build I would give them a try.

That is the entire draw for me. The controller stuff I really don't care about, and they are ridiculously overpriced. I'll quickly switch to something else once they get real competition.

It will be hard to ever put wires or bulky powerheads back into the tank though.

I think wires probably matter less for me since all of my wavemakers are at the top of the tank so barely any are showing

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am also much more budget conscious than those who buy mp40's. I'm not at a point in life where I can just drop several hundred on something to move water.
But what if it spun like really fast sometimes and not so fast at other times. Would that get you to skip dinner for a month to afford let's say that variable spinning is a 100% markup feature. So the fast spinny thing is $100 add variable spinny that's another $100. Do some math, skip some dinner. Ok we are at $200... are you in?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what if it spun like really fast sometimes and not so fast at other times. Would that get you to skip dinner for a month to afford let's say that variable spinning is a 100% markup feature. So the fast spinny thing is $100 add variable spinny that's another $100. Do some math, skip some dinner. Ok we are at $200... are you in?
perhaps-hmm.gif

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I see you are holding out for options... the spinny spinny already goes up and down... but... what if we restricted its reaction time? Yeah that's right... we slow down the slow downy-ness.... instead of up down, now you can also go uuuupppp dooowwwnnn? Really this is another $100. But for you, because I like you Peter. $250 but you need to commit to get this price.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I see you are holding out for options... the spinny spinny already goes up and down... but... what if we restricted its reaction time? Yeah that's right... we slow down the slow downy-ness.... instead of up down, now you can also go uuuupppp dooowwwnnn? Really this is another $100. But for you, because I like you Peter. $250 but you need to commit to get this price.
This or volcano insurance... Go on...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back