Anyone else done with mp40s

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a wet side magnet split and rust. Getting ready to change the bearings on two MP40s for the second time. I'll probably never buy another at the price they are now.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gave up and sold all of mine a while back. Their quality and quality control is in the toilet. I had 6 year old MP10s all on original wetsides before I sold them off back in the day. My last set of MP40s went through 4 wetsides in less than 12 months. One of the new wetsides broke my dryside even. I was done at that point.

I went back to Tunze and couldn't be happier. I'll never put a Jebao in my systems since I prefer to support the companies that support the hobby and actually innovate things.

New tank will run 4-5 Tunze pumps and they will last me a decade or more. Can't beat that.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never understood how someone can pay 400+ dollars for a wavemaker.

Why? People pay $900 for lights. Thousands for the tank. Hundreds for frags. They'll even drop a grand on controllers.

Know what's more important than all those things? Flow.

Sure, you can create flow for less than $400 per. If you really want.

I won't pay $400 for a Vortech these days but I'll drop $400 on a Tunze in a heartbeat.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is the key to success!
Everyone knows that the real flow revolution is in gyre pumps. Up until now, everyone has been doing it wrong. Yes that means you too.
Are you ready to revolutionize your flow? Are you ready to revolutionize your success?
Introducing:
Revolutionary construction, Revolutionary controllability, Revolutionary modularity, Revolutionary reliability, and most of all Revolutionary flow. It's time for the hobby to (r)evolve... Jebo/jcod, icecap, readsea, maxspect. Everyone is doing it... So should you. Dont get left out... Join the flow revolution today.

Please leave an imprint of your credit card at the front desk prior to entering this seminar. Thank you.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Flow is the key to success!
Everyone knows that the real flow revolution is in gyre pumps. Up until now, everyone has been doing it wrong. Yes that means you too.
Are you ready to revolutionize your flow? Are you ready to revolutionize your success?
Introducing:
Revolutionary construction, Revolutionary controllability, Revolutionary modularity, Revolutionary reliability, and most of all Revolutionary flow. It's time for the hobby to (r)evolve... Jebo/jcod, icecap, readsea, maxspect. Everyone is doing it... So should you. Dont get left out... Join the flow revolution today.

Please leave an imprint of your credit card at the front desk prior to entering this seminar. Thank you.

Nah. Been there and done that. Way too much maintenance and upkeep but the flow pattern is nice. Definitely has a place in certain setups.

BRS's new flow series is going to be an eye opener for most. At least eye opening in the sense that people will put more thought into their flow and use the right tool for the right job.

Elmer.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using 2 MP 40's for 4 years now. Quite reliable so far, but indeed very expensive.

I encountered 1 issue, sounding like the OP's: some sand got into the shaft (been making a mess, shifting some rocks to get a fish out). I heard loud scratching noises, but after opening the wet side and cleaning the shaft, it got solved right away. No issues since.

I'm intrigued by the gyre pumps, but they sound like a lot of maintenance (and a cable inside the tank and through the cover).

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is key! Especially for Acro's. The only other pump I would consider is Tunze.
I would need to do the homework and see if I could get the flow I get with my MP 40's.
Not just strong flow but random tidal flow.
Mp40's through my P4 give me a darn good flow pattern that my Acro's love.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using 2 MP 40's for 4 years now. Quite reliable so far, but indeed very expensive.

I encountered 1 issue, sounding like the OP's: some sand got into the shaft (been making a mess, shifting some rocks to get a fish out). I heard loud scratching noises, but after opening the wet side and cleaning the shaft, it got solved right away. No issues since.

I'm intrigued by the gyre pumps, but they sound like a lot of maintenance (and a cable inside the tank and through the cover).
Worried about maintenance? Welcome to Revolutionary maintenance.

You (and everyone else) are in luck! Today only when you choose to revolutionize your flow, with your purchase, you will walk away with not one set of required grommets, bushings, and shaft inserts for basic function of the device... but two sets of required grommets, bushings, and shaft inserts for basic function of the device...
I know what you are thinking. Why... Why would we double down on these critical components for your newfangled revolutionary wave device?
Let me tell you this. This it to show you the consumer that we stand behind our product.

We are so confident that you are going to need these very high ware represent parts within hours; that we are actually going to include your first set of replacement parts right I the box with your initial purchase.

Yes, you heard that correctly. You are definitely going to need these parts. Lots and lots of these parts.

Once you bring your new revolutionary gyre pump home you will be all set. And by all set we mean just that. Set in stone. Locked in to our lackluster replacement part supply and distribution network. Locked in to "I'm sorry, wear items are not covered under your minimalist warranty. Oh no, no shipping cost is included either."

Pump down? Flow a bit lacking? Corals dying? That will be 10-12 days shipping... if we have stock.

Don't blame us, we gave you a full set of parts when you purchased the pump. What did you thing that was for?

Didn't you read the terms and conditions?

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Threads like this make me rofl. Op whines and complains about something they obviously don't know how to properly use or maintain.

You're probably the same kind of person that waits 30k miles before performing an oil change and then complains to the dealer when they need an engine replacement.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to spend tons of money every 6 months buying proprietary parts to keep the product working, that's not a serious piece of equipment. It's a subscription service. Properly serviced powerheads and pumps should last decades. It's not a matter of people being "too cheap" to provide proper flow to their tank.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting done with this thread. It's all opinions.
Remember there's always two sides to a story. Sometimes more.
There's people that won't spend more than $100 on a pump and there's people that will spend thousands. Doesn't make it right or wrong.
And it doesn't mean it's the equipment's fault or the manufacture's fault.
It's what makes people comfortable using what they can afford and what makes them happy.
People that have years into this hobby know what works and what doesn't.
People that know everything will never learn and never be successful.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sick of replacing wet sides on my mp40s. Never again will I buy these dang things. I won’t even sell them to anyone else because I would feel bad they would need new wet sides every 6-10 months ridiculous for the price of wetsides I can buy jeboas yearly and not bother cleaning them. Rant over but seriously anyone else done.

Ya I gave up awhile ago...

Oddly enough the wet sides before QD was a thing lasted years.... the new wet sides are built similar but definitely different looking and are garbage. Mine were MP10's though and the shaft on them is pretty weak sauce...

I got Tunze now which is expensive too but probably last 10 years...

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I gave up awhile ago...

Oddly enough the wet sides before QD was a thing lasted years.... the new wet sides are built similar but definitely different looking and are garbage.
Been running QD's for four years. Replaced one dry side for bearing failure. These things run 24 hours a day with random flow. I've had snails stuck in them. Fish go through them.
I have one with a bent propeller. They take a licking and keep on ticking.
Consider what they do and how many hours are on them before saying they're junk.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just shy of 9000 hours per year. And people don't maintain them. Yet they want them to last.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four MP10's, two QD's and two ES's, they average about five to six years old. I think I have only replaced three or four wet sides and 2-3 of those were because I was soaking them in vinegar overnight. Lesson learned.

I don't know if I would ever use anything else because they are so easy to clean. I wouldn't kick Tunzes out of bed I guess.

Edit - Oh I did also replace one power supply

Last edited:

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you worked 40 hours every week you'd have put in 2000 hours. Come back and complain when you put in 5000 hours. Then realize your power heads are putting in twice that in a year.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just shy of 9000 hours per year. And people don't maintain them. Yet they want them to last.
Thank you for being the advocate that you are and have been. You have provided alot of positive and valuable feedback. I agree with alot of what you have said especially some of the personal choice / perspective that you mentioned. People value different things for different reasons. I appreciate your conviction. Thank you.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you worked 40 hours every week you'd have put in 2000 hours. Come back and complain when you put in 5000 hours. Then realize your power heads are putting in twice that in a year.
Right?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back