Anyone else done with mp40s

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for being the advocate that you are and have been. You have provided alot of positive and valuable feedback. I agree with alot of what you have said especially some of the personal choice / perspective that you mentioned. People value different things for different reasons. I appreciate your conviction. Thank you.
Thank you! I've learned to stay out of arguments with people on here. I'm growing as a person.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you worked 40 hours every week you'd have put in 2000 hours. Come back and complain when you put in 5000 hours. Then realize your power heads are putting in twice that in a year.
If you swam 40 hours every week you'd have put in 2000 hours swimming. Come back and complain when you put in 5000 hours. Then realize your fish are putting in twice that in a year.

This is why it's normal for your clownfish to die in a year, while plenty of others last 10, 20, 30 years if kept healthy, right? Couldn't be that sketchy collector you bought them from that uses cyanide...

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you swam 40 hours every week you'd have put in 2000 hours swimming. Come back and complain when you put in 5000 hours. Then realize your fish are putting in twice that in a year.

This is why it's normal for your clownfish to die in a year, while plenty of others last 10, 20, 30 years if kept healthy, right? Couldn't be that sketchy collector you bought them from that uses cyanide...
Sketchy collectors

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could be. But it could be a person's husbandry. I've rarely had a healthy fish die within a year.
I've had clownfish for 4 years. I've had blue damsels for just about 4 years that spawned regularly. They finally wore themselves out. I have bubbletips that split on a regular basis.
I trash more acropora frags than I like. Blame game!

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20211127_212625584.jpg
PXL_20211127_212632278.jpg
PXL_20211127_212606890.jpg
PXL_20211127_212748300.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running QD's for four years. Replaced one dry side for bearing failure. These things run 24 hours a day with random flow. I've had snails stuck in them. Fish go through them.
I have one with a bent propeller. They take a licking and keep on ticking.
Consider what they do and how many hours are on them before saying they're junk.

I can’t comment on mp40 but MP10s wetsides are junk. New wet side didn’t make a year. Old wet sides made it many years. Put them side by side and they are different. Ceramic shaft is thinner and lower quality and cost is now higher. Have you ever compared old wetsides to new ones?

My first MP10 vortech was 8 or 9 years ago and yes it still works though a bit noisy but the dry sides got better but the wet sides got crappier. It is what it is.

This issue has been reported plenty with MP10 specifically.

They CAN be made better. They used to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Dbichler

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t comment on mp40 but MP10s wetsides are junk. New wet side didn’t make a year. Old wet sides made it many years. Put them side by side and they are different. Ceramic shaft is thinner and lower quality and cost is now higher.

This issue has been reported plenty with MP10 specifically.

This is exactly my problem original ones lasted and now the new ones crap out on me. How much is too much to put into then just like cars at 200000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally still have two MP10 dry sides from 8 years ago still working. I just use them on QT tanks now. New sides just don’t make it past a year or two.

Idk what to tell ya.. they don’t make them like they used to. Those that had vortech that long ago may notice the difference…. Otherwise how would ya know.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be a very frustrating hobby. It's too easy to blame something for a lack of success.
It's not easy to justify money spent.
Not everyone is going to succeed. I almost gave up many times.
We're all here to help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive been done with Ecotech many years ago especially after being a retailer for them. They have quality issues and issues with magnets and instead of investigating or listening to customers' concerns, they are quick to blame or try to sell the customer a replacement part.
My last straw was buying a New MP40 QD and within a month, it would flash. I did a hard reset and it would work temporarily and go back to fault. They had me send it in and had the audacity to state it got wet and will not be covered under warranty.
this was right next to an MP60- how is is that the MP60 didnt get wet and hello- The dry side sits outside the tank and tank had glass covers and a canopy - WET ???? - You can see how new it even looks.
Then they dismantled it and sent it back to me. Then offered to sell me a new dryside for half price at $189.00. Half price?- I paid $239 for the whole unit new
Im not making up stories- here is the unit they sent back to me (I kept pics for a reason). Ecotech plain and simply SUCXS and are a bunch of thieves.

eco1.jpg
eco2.jpg
eco3.jpg
eco5.jpg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been done with Ecotech many years ago especially after being a retailer for them. They have quality issues and issues with magnets and instead of investigating or listening to customers' concerns, they are quick to blame or try to sell the customer a replacement part.
My last straw was buying a New MP40 QD and within a month, it would flash. I did a hard reset and it would work temporarily and go back to fault. They had me send it in and had the audacity to state it got wet and will not be covered under warranty.
this was right next to an MP60- how is is that the MP60 didnt get wet and hello- The dry side sits outside the tank and tank had glass covers and a canopy - WET ???? - You can see how new it even looks.
Then they dismantled it and sent it back to me. Then offered to sell me a new dryside for half price at $189.00. Half price?- I paid $239 for the whole unit new
Im not making up stories- here is the unit they sent back to me (I kept pics for a reason). Ecotech plain and simply SUCXS and are a bunch of thieves.

eco1.jpg
eco2.jpg
eco3.jpg
eco5.jpg
Hahaha I started collecting those stickers! Total nonsense.
Screenshot_20220121-201529_Gallery.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hahaha I started collecting those stickers! Total nonsense.
Screenshot_20220121-201529_Gallery.jpg
Why is it they have these stickers - A whole roll of them ? Hmm- seems im not the only one accused

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the new Mobius ones? I'm thinking the Mobius chip is in the controller?
I'm scared to death to upgrade to them. I'll go Tunze first.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine second hand, before the "new" MP40 I was running 3 other Fluval powerheads.
I really appreciate how good it work, the flow adjustment and settings.
All I need is a new chip and its going to be even better. I don't know if I would ever buy a brand new MP40...that cost is a killer, but who knows.
I understand that people will still have issues with their own MP40's, this is just my two cents.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back