Anyone else done with mp40s

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, if you are picking your poison for your larger tank (lets say maybe 320 total system gallons that is maybe around 7 feet long) you may want to check out this video promoting some of the features of MPs

Here you can watch the MPs fail before they even get wet.

Waterbox Aquariums' video from the YouTubes. The good stuff starts at 6:29. Oops, well I guess we will just settle for not being able to reach the control board on the other side of the tank... I guess the cord is too short. We will just stick the controller on the back and call it good.
EP05 | Electrical and Cable Management on the REEF LX 320.7. A Guide to Large Reef Aquariums
I find this especially funny because earlier in this series they go on and on about how this control board was a collaboration between Waterbox and their equipment sponsors. Its the best, most well conceived control board. Too bad the controller can't reach.

Tunze has a 5 meter cord. Very thoughtful.
I actually despise the Vortec controllers. Pain to program. Push buttons in a certain sequence......oops start over.....oops again. I have them controlled by my P4. Random flow rates throughout the day. I try to mimic tidal action. One can get real creative with flow.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually despise the Vortec controllers. Pain to program. Push buttons in a certain sequence......oops start over.....oops again. I have them controlled by my P4. Random flow rates throughout the day. I try to mimic tidal action. One can get real creative with flow.
100% behind you on that.
I keep the little manual book in the cabinet so I can reference what color is what mode and what button is what.

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
color me lucky, but i've had 3 MP40s for about 2years, never cleaned them, and they all work just as they did on day one....granted, they are almost fully covered in coralline now so a good scrubbing is in my future

sorry to hear of your negative experience...good thing about this hobby is there are soooooo many options out there for flow in our tanks, just roll with what works for you!!

Happy Reefing!!

OP
OP
Dbichler

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Betting you didn't do routine maintenance of pulling, soaking in 5% Vinegar, then scrubbing with a toothbrush

Do that and you'll get 3 years

Actually every 4-6 months with citric acid and no you don’t necessarily get 3 years and even so at the price of these you shouldn’t have to touch them for 5 imo.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually every 4-6 months with citric acid and no you don’t necessarily get 3 years and even so at the price of these you shouldn’t have to touch them for 5 imo.
Actually if anyone in this hobby is not budgeting for $500-750 per year in equipment failure replacements for tanks 100, 200, 300g.... you need a new hobby if you're gonna complain about prices

OP
OP
Dbichler

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually if anyone in this hobby is not budgeting for $500-750 per year in equipment failure replacements for tanks 100, 200, 300g.... you need a new hobby if you're gonna complain about prices
That’s a real mature response. It has nothing to do with my budget as I can afford whatever I want but try not to support anything overpriced.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a real mature response. It has nothing to do with my budget as I can afford whatever I want but try not to support anything overpriced.
Budgeting comment was NOT direct at you
Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear on the current state of new vortech pumps. I was going back and forth between tunze 6255 and MP40/60s for a new build with 3/4" glass. Seems the tunze wins again, not unexpectedly. Was just entertaining them for some new flashy tech.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prettty sure the bearings went bad again these things grind like crazy and now my controller is blinking red and green due to it not being able to spin. I could fix it but for 120 I can get comparable jebao like 2 others in my tank better bang for buck as they say
Bearings in the wetside? I’m not sure that’s even a thing is it?

I’ve had Vortechs ever since the very first release years and years ago and I’ve never had any major issues. I currently run 1 MP10 and 4 MP40 and have had many more over the years of all versions. Never an issue to put me off and I’m lazy when it comes to cleaning them. I also don’t find them too expensive because I value the modes and functions from them a lot.

it’s like all things in this hobby. Some will like and have good experiences whilst others will not but not everyone’s experience is the same as yours or mine.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just that but will become intrinsically unsafe and will try to electrocute you without warning. I am trying SICCE Voyager now we shall see. Cant afford the wireless ones

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I just stick to Tunze, none of these problems, and im known for not cleaning them on schedule.

Would never spend a dime on these.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Clearly, one needs a budget, and equipment in this hobby isn't cheap. When paying lots of money for anything, even outside of this hobby, people have certain expectations.

Example: I expect my Abyzz to last a lot longer than the Varios pumps (I employ both) because I paid a premium for that product. I think you get the point.

In my opinion it is dumb to pour this much money this often to keep this product going. My car's engine is cheaper to maintain on annual basis.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion it is dumb to pour this much money this often to keep this product going. My car's engine is cheaper to maintain on annual basis.
100% that would be dumb….then again, 99% of people that own these pumps don’t have to spend anything more than the initial price.

Much like everything, A FEW bad reviews equals ALL bad reviews to people of the forums though ‍

OP
OP
Dbichler

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bearings in the wetside? I’m not sure that’s even a thing is it?

I’ve had Vortechs ever since the very first release years and years ago and I’ve never had any major issues. I currently run 1 MP10 and 4 MP40 and have had many more over the years of all versions. Never an issue to put me off and I’m lazy when it comes to cleaning them. I also don’t find them too expensive because I value the modes and functions from them a lot.

it’s like all things in this hobby. Some will like and have good experiences whilst others will not but not everyone’s experience is the same as yours or mine.
No there’s not my dry side is having issues but the wet side shaft is stiff and causing issues and grinding even after cleaning

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No there’s not my dry side is having issues but the wet side shaft is stiff and causing issues and grinding even after cleaning
Not really sure what’s meant by the shaft being stiff. The shaft isn’t meant to move. The magnet/propeller moves around the shaft.
I’m not sure what you actually mean but either way, have you tried lubricating it?

If that’s your only issue with the wetside, maybe that will help. I’m not sure it’s necessary but after a clean I do add a patch of lubricant myself just because why not

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I second this. I think its ridiculous how much they are. Again, my Nero 5s are years old and have never had one problem. Not to mention they have blue tooth and way more customization than a MP and they are what, half the price?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second this. I think its ridiculous how much they are. Again, my Nero 5s are years old and have never had one problem. Not to mention they have blue tooth and way more customization than a MP and they are what, half the price?
Mobius was a bit of a step in the right direction for the control interface over ReefLink; When it works... Krazy that these are sister companies. And yes I spelled Krazy with a K on purpose, twice. Any Mobius ready MP is communicating over Bluetooth LE. That is part of why they are not "backwards compatible". I don't have a problem with that because eventually I want a toaster with a bagel button on it. In order to do that design and interface changes need to happen.
For funzies if you want go check out app ratings and user reviews for iOS and Android and see who's really giving you the upgrade.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back