Anyone else had issues with a NYOS Quantum skimmer failure ?

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nyos Quantum 220 skimmer only 6 months old. it has decided to no longer pull in air from the top air control knob unless you disconnect the tube and blow air into it manually (gross) lol then it will perform but still cannot be adjusted.

it’s Like a washer with too much soap put in it. The gate adjustment and air adjustment don’t help. Ive heard they are great skimmers and they are sending a replacement so good company!

I have also had issues with it self adjusting its air knob due to vibration. so maybe I just got a lemon but at $800 I’m wondering if I need to find an alternative skimmer. I absolutely hate replacing stuff in my sump cause I’m ocd about hiding wires and its a ton of work to redo the cosmetics.

Morphinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of my NYOS. I don’t know if it’s broken or what but it does not pull air correctly. Some days it just randomly stops pulling in air, floods the collection cup back into the tank…

I am getting rid of it as soon as I can

OP
OP
KYnewbee42103

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of my NYOS. I don’t know if it’s broken or what but it does not pull air correctly. Some days it just randomly stops pulling in air, floods the collection cup back into the tank…

I am getting rid of it as soon as I can
Thank you ive had the same issue. does yours take forever to start collecting skimate after a quick clean also?

OP
OP
KYnewbee42103

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They better work perfectly for how much they cost!
So far I’m not a fan:-/ fancy packaging and aesthetics like a Ferrari that won’t get out of the driveway. I’m gonna give it another try though see if they can prove me wrong otherwise look for it in the classified section lol!

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lucky maybe. I have the 120 and 160 on my tanks and they're both great. I just bought the 220 for a planned future tank upgrade. That won't get used anytime soon but I was able to buy it open box at a good discount.

OP
OP
KYnewbee42103

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh god forbid you clean the thing. If I just take a toothbrush to it it’ll be atleast 2 weeks before it collects half a cup again.
Yeah I have a fully automated Neptune system battery back up leak detection ATO because I travel a lot. So when my maintenance guys get done dumping skimate I have to tell them not to clean the inner tube on the cup or I have to let it overflow with the bottom plug out for a day before it breaks in again! This sucks cause my wife doesn’t know the first thing about how to regulate the airflow gate etc. the one component I can’t control from my phone traveling…. my NYOS skimmer!

I’d love to see how many people were brave enough to put the extra tube on it for an external collection cup they better have a float kill switch on it lol.

this will be my last rodeo with NYOS if it doesn’t work after warranty replacement.

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nyos Quantum 220 skimmer only 6 months old. it has decided to no longer pull in air from the top air control knob unless you disconnect the tube and blow air into it manually (gross) lol then it will perform but still cannot be adjusted.

it’s Like a washer with too much soap put in it. The gate adjustment and air adjustment don’t help. Ive heard they are great skimmers and they are sending a replacement so good company!

I have also had issues with it self adjusting its air knob due to vibration. so maybe I just got a lemon but at $800 I’m wondering if I need to find an alternative skimmer. I absolutely hate replacing stuff in my sump cause I’m ocd about hiding wires and its a ton of work to redo the cosmetics.
I have the 220 and my experience with it is that it sucks, costs too much, breaks and the customer support from NYOS is the worst.

I had two pinwheels break off the spindle and thus neutered the skimmer.

for the first one, I was able to get EcoTech to pull the wheel and spindle out of another unit and waited nearly two weeks to get skimming.

the second time it happened EcoTech suugest I replace the motor, volute and spindle. For many weeks NYOS didn’t respond to requests from EcoTech as to where the needed parts were.

Eventually I purchased a Red Sea Skimmer and after three months total NYOS deigned to send me the critical parts. Imagine that you have no skimmer for 3 months and no communication with the manufacturer…

OP
OP
KYnewbee42103

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 220 and my experience with it is that it sucks, costs too much, breaks and the customer support from NYOS is the worst.

I had two pinwheels break off the spindle and thus neutered the skimmer.

for the first one, I was able to get EcoTech to pull the wheel and spindle out of another unit and waited nearly two weeks to get skimming.

the second time it happened EcoTech suugest I replace the motor, volute and spindle. For many weeks NYOS didn’t respond to requests from EcoTech as to where the needed parts were.

Eventually I purchased a Red Sea Skimmer and after three months total NYOS deigned to send me the critical parts. Imagine that you have no skimmer for 3 months and no communication with the manufacturer…
Thank you! I’m thinking after some web and forum searching that I may just use the free replacement long enough to buy another skimmer, even if it is new!

I mean after hearing some other members having the exact same issues, wont I just be right back in the same situation? That’s the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over expecting different results!

I’m very glad I have other reefers to bounce these questions off of!

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’m thinking after some web and forum searching that I may just use the free replacement long enough to buy another skimmer, even if it is new!

I mean after hearing some other members having the exact same issues, wont I just be right back in the same situation? That’s the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over expecting different results!

I’m very glad I have other reefers to bounce these questions off of!
I’m liking the Red Sea Skimmer. You might want to check them out.

OP
OP
KYnewbee42103

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m liking the Red Sea Skimmer. You might want to check them out.
Yeah other than a malfunction with the skimmer my other issue is ATO sometimes when my socks get full and I have a water level change in my sump I need to find a skimmer not so sensitive to a 1”-2” change in water levels I am running a very aggressive sized skimmer for a 200 gallon tank with a smaller sump.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nyos skimmers are well built, but they have two major problems. Too many parts to disassemble when cleaning and weak pumps that can’t auto start after shutting down for feed mode, etc…. I sold my 160 and bought a Deltec and I’m extremely happy. I even bought a couple older AC 1351’s, which work just as well. I loved my Nyos at first, but over time the pumps just can’t keep up and weaken over time. If they had DC pumps, it would be a different story.

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos skimmers are well built, but they have two major problems. Too many parts to disassemble when cleaning and weak pumps that can’t auto start after shutting down for feed mode, etc…. I sold my 160 and bought a Deltec and I’m extremely happy. I even bought a couple older AC 1351’s, which work just as well. I loved my Nyos at first, but over time the pumps just can’t keep up and weaken over time. If they had DC pumps, it would be a different story.
Regardless the quality which I question is the horrible customer service from NYOS.

OP
OP
KYnewbee42103

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update NYOS customer care. I’m totally disgusted with customer service they said they were going to replace the entire unit….

Then they email and say they Sent a pump instead which still hasn’t arrived. It’s like I don’t have an active reef tank and can wait a month for a pump which is not what they said they would do!

So if that doesn’t fix it I’m gonna wait around till they ship the next piece of the puzzle, what a joke! jeeze thanks I guess we can rebuild this thing at the expense of my livestock and health of my corals? NYOS thanks but no thanks!

I ordered a reef octopus I think that’s the name from the LFS. Guess what it’s already here before NYOS pump I’m sure they shipped it snail mail how dare I expect it sooner….

Obviously I will not endorse NYOS again even if they start making seaweed clips. I would put it on the classifieds but I don’t hate anyone enough to put that evil on them.

I won’t even give it away cause it will create a vicious cycle.
Gonna put this point of sale NYOS in the round filing cabinet aka trash can or make a $900 planter out of it lol I’ll post pics with an orchid in it!

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I bought a Deltec. DC pump, manual neck cleaner, super simple to disassemble and clean. Why skimmers these days don't come with a manual neck cleaner is beyond me.

OP
OP
KYnewbee42103

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go with the reef octopus elite. It arrived however the guys installing it broke it out of the box I swear if it was raining women private parts I’d get hit with a male private part only way to phrase that without getting flagged lol!
1149D148-7C81-463D-B373-41092557C830.jpeg
1149D148-7C81-463D-B373-41092557C830.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back