Anyone else hate live sales?

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are ways to bypass waiting on the threads and IYKYK and the sales can be decent. It doesn't always work and when it doesn't work, I skip the sale as I am not going to sit at a computer for 8 hours hitting refresh to see the latest drop.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like SBB corals live sales, usually towards the end of their sale they will lower the prices and if you package deal a few items they will usually give a package price, there are a few other vendors that are very similar.
I’ll second this. There’s only 3 live sales I frequent and SBB is the only one I won’t miss. I have PetCo for my lfs. The section manager has a good selection of fish, but the coral selection is pretty darn thin.
‘Last thing I’ll mention with SBB is the incredible DOA policy. A full 10 days after delivery for full cred what you paid.

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll second this. There’s only 3 live sales I frequent and SBB is the only one I won’t miss. I have PetCo for my lfs. The section manager has a good selection of fish, but the coral selection is pretty darn thin.
‘Last thing I’ll mention with SBB is the incredible DOA policy. A full 10 days after delivery for full cred what you paid.
10 days is awesome. I spent $400 on a zoa and it looked awful when I got it and that it was about to die. Reached out to the vendor immediately and they told me to be patient. Few days later it melted and was told “sorry it’s past our 2 hour DOA guarantee but if you want another one, we can give you a 40% discount”

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, all their stuff usually always looks great and healthy, Ive never had a problem and never had to use the 10-day guarantee.

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They are top notch and are always willing to help, they will answer your questions and even give you tips that most vendors wont, you just have to ask the right questions and follow the directions they give.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna throw it out there that @SBB Corals is having their crazy end of September sale next week. Auctions, insanely low drops, flash auctions, and lots of good folk to hand out with. plus if you're a complete newbie to their sales and and say hello Shane'll most likely give out a $25 GC to use. Even if you hate live sales, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this one.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of live sales but do love me a good after sale- deeply cut treasure hunting after all the kids are tuckered out :) ARC & TCK have been good to me.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing them here and there for many years. In the beginning it was WWC doing 2 or 3 a year and they were 24 hour sales. It was great for them considering they had over 1000 corals and you assume the average price was from $40 to $50 and at the end they might have 30 to 50 corals left. So that could be a $50,000+ haul for them with just putting in a few days work. Admittedly I have no idea how long the photo part takes. There were so many people on the WWC live sales back then that it actually brought R2R to its knees a few times. Now that there are so many live sales there really isn't any need to watch the sale all day long. They don't sell practically every coral immediately like they used to so you can wait until the end and then pick out what you like and usually with a bigger discount. The only livesale I've seen lately that you have to be quick on is the Cherry Corals $20 sale. When you are throwing out $20 torches you better be quick.

Personally I usually only participate in zoanthids.com sales. I've been a customer of Brandon's for many years and I stand around and bug him at his booth when he comes to our local frag swaps. I also will do Coral Vault's sales mainly because they are local so I don't have to worry about shipping.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never, if I see something online I just pay the price. No live sales here.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna throw it out there that @SBB Corals is having their crazy end of September sale next week. Auctions, insanely low drops, flash auctions, and lots of good folk to hand out with. plus if you're a complete newbie to their sales and and say hello Shane'll most likely give out a $25 GC to use. Even if you hate live sales, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this one.
Is it a large thread format?

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing them here and there for many years. In the beginning it was WWC doing 2 or 3 a year and they were 24 hour sales. It was great for them considering they had over 1000 corals and you assume the average price was from $40 to $50 and at the end they might have 30 to 50 corals left. So that could be a $50,000+ haul for them with just putting in a few days work. Admittedly I have no idea how long the photo part takes. There were so many people on the WWC live sales back then that it actually brought R2R to its knees a few times. Now that there are so many live sales there really isn't any need to watch the sale all day long. They don't sell practically every coral immediately like they used to so you can wait until the end and then pick out what you like and usually with a bigger discount. The only livesale I've seen lately that you have to be quick on is the Cherry Corals $20 sale. When you are throwing out $20 torches you better be quick.

Personally I usually only participate in zoanthids.com sales. I've been a customer of Brandon's for many years and I stand around and bug him at his booth when he comes to our local frag swaps. I also will do Coral Vault's sales mainly because they are local so I don't have to worry about shipping.
When you go into pick up the unsold stuff at a discount, do you have to filter through a massive thread?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the live sales a few times, I wouldn't do it again.
This.

What a complete waste of time. Never again. I cant figure out how they are so popular. My tank is getting to crammed as it is and I've never bought anything from a live sale. So how do people keep buying corals in live sales. Its so many of the same people buying to.

Now auctions are fun. My LFS does 5 min live auctions every Saturday night and that's fun after a few beers.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thats crazy.
Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you go into pick up the unsold stuff at a discount, do you have to filter through a massive thread?
No, thankfully it's all directly on the site, save the $1/$5/$6 corals. Those you have to be in the thread for. The prices are reasonable to average for high quality and 10 day guaranteed, and Shane isn't the type to leave you hanging AFTER the sale. He's gotten to the root of a number of our tank problems and actually gives a masterclass thread on water quality and water chemistry.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back