Anyone else hate live sales?

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They always have cool stuff, but what if you only win one item ... then your on the hook for the shipping and you are likely paying way more than what the coral is worth. What happened to the good ol days when people just listed items and put a price on them. I get great deals can be had, but you better have a big budget to make sure you are spreading the cost of that crazy shipping out. Just a random thought... what do you guys think?

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg yes and their 81 pages of fluff. Just give me a coral and a bottom line-

Added exception. The SBB events. Still a lot of fluff- but a lot of not fluff.

Last edited:

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They always have cool stuff, but what if you only win one item ... then your on the hook for the shipping and you are likely paying way more than what the coral is worth. What happened to the good ol days when people just listed items and put a price on them. I get great deals can be had, but you better have a big budget to make sure you are spreading the cost of that crazy shipping out. Just a random thought... what do you guys think?
Don’t they have good saltwater stores in St. Louis? my Local Los has several thousand on live sale in person every day. Take a 2 hour ride north and check it out

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at the pretty pictures and then reality sinks in pretty quick. I got better things to waste my time and money on

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are for people that want to go on shopping sprees. Curated shopping with entertainment and commentary. Not for seeking out the best deals, but for feeling extra good while shopping if you care about that sort of thing.

Think more like "I have X budget to waste for having fun during this thing, by the end i want that money to be gone", not "let's see if there is anything worth the price"

There are plenty of shops that just put prices online or locally, this is just an extra thing for people that want this kind of shopping, maybe with a few low prices here and there to trap the deal seekers that it's not meant for into providing free advertising.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently participated in one. Box is coming tomorrow. I was bored and the vendor (or "CodyBot"?) was working hard to entertain sale participants. At the end of the sale I picked up a nice coral that I wanted, more to support the store than because I needed another coral. The shipping costs are "good for America" but the rest of us get shorted bad by the price of shipping, including the vendors. I ususally spend my coins at the LFS but every now and again I waste time and money over a live sale just because.

Hold Fire Sale GIF
:cool:

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t they have good saltwater stores in St. Louis? my Local Los has several thousand on live sale in person every day. Take a 2 hour ride north and check it out
Yes we do. Not the point of this thread though. But you have peaked my interest, what are you calling 2hrs north? What town?

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve participated in 2 live sales so far. I will admit it’s kinda like gambling. The goal is to get you to impulse buy before you think about it. Both times though I paid top dollar for premium corals and did not receive a wysiwg. Like bro I just spent $300 on a coral and you’re not even sending me the right one? Once it was like the pic except 1 head instead of the displayed 3. The second time it wasn’t even the same coral at all. I don’t think I’ll participate in another live sale but we’ll see what the gambler in me has to say lol.

Also not a fan of sites that always have a sale. 20% off today only! And stays like that for the whole time. Or 70% off all corals! And you see a discount of $5. Like if it’s always on sale just set the actual price down rather than marking it as a sale.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve participated in 2 live sales so far. I will admit it’s kinda like gambling. The goal is to get you to impulse buy before you think about it. Both times though I paid top dollar for premium corals and did not receive a wysiwg. Like bro I just spent $300 on a coral and you’re not even sending me the right one? Once it was like the pic except 1 head instead of the displayed 3. The second time it wasn’t even the same coral at all. I don’t think I’ll participate in another live sale but we’ll see what the gambler in me has to say lol.

Also not a fan of sites that always have a sale. 20% off today only! And stays like that for the whole time. Or 70% off all corals! And you see a discount of $5. Like if it’s always on sale just set the actual price down rather than marking it as a sale.
They are definitely preying on impulse buyers. As long as people support this, vendors will continue to do them. As long as R2R see sponsor revenue, it will continue to be allowed.

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not to mention the ridiculous amount of photo shop from some vendors. I get it, you want to really show the color off but can you make it look like it actually does? Also some of the bigger retailers kill me with mark ups. I get you’re selling your name and all that good stuff but look at fair market value for corals. A coral that sells for $40 shouldn’t be sold for $500 just because you’re selling it

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I personally don't mind them, once in a while I'll get something I like, but most of the time I shop the after sales, those usually have the best deals, IMO.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't mind them, once in a while I'll get something I like, but most of the time I shop the after sales, those usually have the best deals, IMO.
I could see that… but that’s technically what I am saying I prefer. Here is an item, here is it’s price.

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I really like SBB corals live sales, usually towards the end of their sale they will lower the prices and if you package deal a few items they will usually give a package price, there are a few other vendors that are very similar.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back