Anyone else have this issue?

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a problem with my Nero 5 power brick making a whine noise when it’s in pulse mode. It’s not super loud but loud enough I can hear it when sitting in my room. I’ve contacted ai and have tried a new power brick and controller and still having this issue. Wondering if it’s common or if it’s just me

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard this from other Nero users as well (but can't personally verify). Have you tried disassembly/cleaning?
Glad to hear it’s not just me, yes I’ve tried cleaning it and since I’m in Canada it is a pain talking with ai for warranty support

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it’s not just me, yes I’ve tried cleaning it and since I’m in Canada it is a pain talking with ai for warranty support
I (briefly) had a Nero 3, found it too loud and returned it literally within 2 weeks. I use Red Sea ReefWave45 gyres on my tank right now (super quiet).

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I (briefly) had a Nero 3, found it too loud and returned it literally within 2 weeks. I use Red Sea ReefWave45 gyres on my tank right now (super quiet).
My Nero 3 has been except the issue of it starting when it turns off, out of warranty now. If I could go back I would buy different ones just for the customer service

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mp40 power bricks whine with the pumps ramping up and down. Bought in 2019. One was so bad I warrantied day one.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two Nero 5s, one two years old and the other a year. The newer one was a bit noisy, so i contacted AI. They sent me a new pump, but it was louder so i just sent it back. After about three weeks, it quieted down and now both pumps are dead silent. Couldn’t be happier. I’m sorry for your issues…sounds like you need another new control box!

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mp40 power bricks whine with the pumps ramping up and down. Bought in 2019. One was so bad I warrantied day one.
When you warrantied it did they make you send your pump in for repair? Or did they send you a replacement?

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Nero 5s, one two years old and the other a year. The newer one was a bit noisy, so i contacted AI. They sent me a new pump, but it was louder so i just sent it back. After about three weeks, it quieted down and now both pumps are dead silent. Couldn’t be happier. I’m sorry for your issues…sounds like you need another new control box!
Honestly at this point I just want a new pump but they don’t wanna do that. This has turned me away from them for sure, sucks I didn’t know this before I bought their pumps and lights

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you warrantied it did they make you send your pump in for repair? Or did they send you a replacement?
They sent me a replacement power brick only. I had to ship the defective power brick only back to Ecotech. This was 2019. Ymmv.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly at this point I just want a new pump but they don’t wanna do that. This has turned me away from them for sure, sucks I didn’t know this before I bought their pumps and lights
That’s why a lot of reefers are doing everyone’s favors by posting their honest experiences about it, that’s including me so that others know and won’t ended up like us.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t blame you. I run two primes and two 5s on my 40b and have been happy with all…
but i think it’s hit and miss with just about everything. Even Nissans. I’ve been driving Nissans / Toyotas my whole life and have never broken down. But then again an old gf had a Nissan and that thing was a point of sale!!

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t blame you. I run two primes and two 5s on my 40b and have been happy with all…
but i think it’s hit and miss with just about everything. Even Nissans. I’ve been driving Nissans / Toyotas my whole life and have never broken down. But then again an old gf had a Nissan and that thing was a point of sale!!
Haha i did not say point of sale. But i abbreviated it.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sent me a replacement power brick only. I had to ship the defective power brick only back to Ecotech. This was 2019. Ymmv.
That’s what I want to do with my power head but they are trying everything else except that

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good point you make, just would be nice that when a piece of equipment does break that they fix it properly. I would honestly rather have something that breaks more with good customer service rather one that doesn’t break as much with worse customer service

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s a good point you make, just would be nice that when a piece of equipment does break that they fix it properly. I would honestly rather have something that breaks more with good customer service rather one that doesn’t break as much with worse customer service
Absolutely

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back