Anyone else having trouble with TTM

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22D3027F-CB71-4226-9890-6F4ECA044732.jpeg

This was kind of a cool TTM / observation setup I used a while back.

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's odd. Mines never died on the last day. I do use 10g tanks at minimum. I feel the 5g buckets are too small.
why would they survive 14daus. then mysteriously die. Not being obstinate, just curious of other's theory.

IMHO, the volume of water that a fish is in is irrelevant, it's all about oxygen transfer to the surface. Yes a bucket has a small 'footprint' of exposed water to air, however that's why I use the wave pumps pointed straight up to maximize o2 transfer.

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22D3027F-CB71-4226-9890-6F4ECA044732.jpeg

This was kind of a cool TTM / observation setup I used a while back.
Not to be an A hole, but that seems like an extreme waste of water for TTM, unless you are doing a very large fish, or doing multiple fish at one time.

Not to mention the sterilization process between transfers....LOL

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why would they survive 14daus. then mysteriously die. Not being obstinate, just curious of other's theory.

IMHO, the volume of water that a fish is in is irrelevant, it's all about oxygen transfer to the surface. Yes a bucket has a small 'footprint' of exposed water to air, however that's why I use the wave pumps pointed straight up to maximize o2 transfer.
I have no idea why they would die. Mines always survived on the last day. I'm not talking water volume. I'm more concerned with foot room swimming room so fish don't feel cramped.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup but a little too close for comfort. Would be worried about cross contamination. I have my tanks 15 feet apart. Not taking any chances. :)

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea why they would die. Mines always survived on the last day. I'm not talking water volume. I'm more concerned with foot room swimming room so fish don't feel cramped.
I fear you are falling into the trap of amphromorphizing (sp?). ,meaning you are putting your mind into the mind of a fish. Quite frankly, as long as the water quality is acceptable, I don't believe the fish has the cognitive ability to even think that it's 'cramped'.... Point being, How much area of an aquarium do clowns occupy.

This is why I oppose the Tang police so much.....

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fear you are falling into the trap of amphromorphizing (sp?). ,meaning you are putting your mind into the mind of a fish. Quite frankly, as long as the water quality is acceptable, I don't believe the fish has the cognitive ability to even think that it's 'cramped'.... Point being, How much area of an aquarium do clowns occupy.

This is why I oppose the Tang police so much.....
Point is 10g is better than a 5g bucket where they swim around in circles with no outside viewing. I do feel for the fish that's why I want to make them feel as comfortable as I can for the 12 days of ttm. And I am a tang police so we'll just agree to disagree

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(You saw my scaled-down version, right? Post #9.) Opposite ends of the scale. Lol.
You think your scaled down version is extreme... I tried, but failed, at using tow quart pitchers for clowns....It didn't work.

My idea was to create a two quart pitcher and bowl on a small end table, with all the biofiltration housed in the table, so all you saw was the fish in the pitcher.

would have been cool, and I may revisit this idea in the future, but not right now. I've got a 6' 120 that needs attention, as I had to break it down because the sub floor it was sitting on got wet and is failing..... To be continued.

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Point is 10g is better than a 5g bucket where they swim around in circles with no outside viewing. I do feel for the fish that's why I want to make them feel as comfortable as I can for the 12 days of ttm. And I am a tang police so we'll just agree to disagree
My thought is, that a fish that cannot see outside will be more calm with the movement of me and the goings on in the house. Hoe many fish are so skiddish when they see strangers that they hide.... I know mine do.... putting them in a white bucket, is like a sensory deprivation chamber that keeps them calm during the stress of the TTM.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry off topic, but I liked this pic.....no offense to anyone. Also to the OP sorry about your fish!

Attachments

• Untitled-6.jpg
    Untitled-6.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 17

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 115 77.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back