Anyone else lose track of their Corals names?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So am I the only person that has just completely forgot the specific names to their corals. I feel like it something I should know but I just dont. I have some zoas, acans and blastos but just do not know the specific name of them all. Am I the only one?
I remember the ones I care about. :3

Otherwise yeah I forget it all. XD

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get corals shipped in. I take a pic of it next to the bag it came in. So I know what it looks like. Makes it way easier to tell the frags apart for sps
FCDD2C89-92AF-453B-889D-9414E7375B46.jpeg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Approximately 14 seconds after purchase. Trying to get better at tracking them. As much as i laugh at the ridiculous names they do greatly facilitate selling/trading/ and even just buying. I mean if i want rastas it is a lot easier to google "rastas for sale" than "multicolor zoanthid"

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can think of two ways to answer .....

Yes .... almost immediately, or, since i never really bother to pay attention to the silly name, nothing to forget.

Same here. I can tell you what type of coral it is, but won't remember or care that it's an "LE super sprinkles Japanese deepwater pot of gold".

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I get corals shipped in. I take a pic of it next to the bag it came in. So I know what it looks like. Makes it way easier to tell the frags apart for sps
FCDD2C89-92AF-453B-889D-9414E7375B46.jpeg
That's what I decided to do this time around too.

20210410_001340.jpg

20210410_002549.jpg

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 20 different zoas. I know the name of one... 6 different mushrooms and I know the name of the watermelon mushroom, and that’s only because when I was told it’s a watermelon mushroom I laughed, because it actually looks like a watermelon.

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL..at this rate, you can start naming it yourself and call it your own! Then sell it for $500 for 0.5" frag! Rinse and repeat! That's most retailers are doing!
My gsp is now known as ultra neon GSP or hairy punk armpit!

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck keeping track of acros that are a completely different color and shape 4 months later.
In my last reef I had over 60 different named acros and over 120 different named Zoas. Had no issue knowing the name of each one

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naming every coral is ruining the hobby IMO

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So am I the only person that has just completely forgot the specific names to their corals. I feel like it something I should know but I just dont. I have some zoas, acans and blastos but just do not know the specific name of them all. Am I the only one?
I’m so happy to see you start this post! I’m so busy trying to get the frags dipped and into the aquarium as soon as possible that I sometimes forget to write names down.

Have started using MyReef App to begin cataloging names and pics of the corals but have long ways to go.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my last reef I had over 60 different named acros and over 120 different named Zoas. Had no issue knowing the name of each one
ok meanwhile I got 6 acros today and I only vaguely know which ones those are. I guess to each their own

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't forget also corals can change color morph so you gotta rename them. my oldest common "aussie " torch with green tips started showing fluorescent green streaks along the tentacles on a few new heads when i upgraded my light, so now I started calling the new heads "aussie jester" green torches =).

busybits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter names them like the fish. And expects me to remember. I have corals named birthday cake. Shimmer. Autumn. Rainbow dots. She’s 7 by the way. My favorite fish is name she came up with us sushiana.
It doesn't change. My daughter is 19 and still tries to name everything in the tank. Fluffy Snickerdoodle popsicle is a winner! :)

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only purpose I see for naming a coral is so I can ask for a specific one that I want to buy from a vendor. I'm not really interested in how rare it is, I just buy what I like that isn't ridiculously priced.

Same. personally, I could never spend more than $100 on a coral. Sometimes I see the ones going for almost half a grand and I am shocked people would spend that.

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yah, except for a rare few older ones I don't care much. I'm much more interested in scientific names. However.... the variety in the photos people are taking makes me worried that at some point I'll end up buying something I already have.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back