Anyone else tired of oversaturated, photoshopped to death, photos of corals?

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very disappointed to learn how many of these coral pics on here are edited (photoshopped).
I have been reefing for about a little over 1 1/2 yrs and have learned the hard way
that many corals sold online are misrepresented..
Like when I go to my LFS and buy coral it ends up looking way better in my
tank. But online is a way different story, many times they look nothing like the pics.
anyone else feel this way? I no longer buy online except from a couple vendors I trust.
Rather drive to LFS and see what I am getting..

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+10000000

Or when there's a representative picture of what your coral is supposed to look like only to arrive looking different. This is what happens when the sellers get in wild colonies, chop them up, and then end up having to hold them for some time.

However, there are a few very good online sites to go to and your lighting does play a factor. But those photoshopped pictures are sometimes obvious.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen enough of them, for so long now, that I have a sort of built in filter in my brain at this point. If they aren't overdone too much I can make out what they will probably look like. I've played around enough with photo editing software that I generally know what does what to a photo. The ones that look like they escaped from Chernobyl... well, I just chuckle and move on.

OP
OP
R

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point about the wild colonies. Wish I knew all this before I started spending thousands online!
@sdguy- I am too learning to decifer what is real and what is not. And yes some of these pics are definitely laughable..

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One trick I use. I look up pictures from the seller/vendor, of known corals, or even corals I own, to see what they loook like. Generally speaking, people will often make the same/similar edits to all their coral photos. This will give me an idea of how much they alter their photos, or how much their lighting changes the look of their corals, compared to mine.

Last edited:

lars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely tired of it,but when I mentioned it in a friends post the other day someone deleated it and said they were cleaning up the thread. Photoshop seems to be protected depending on who uses it. I will not buy or even comment on these fake corals. I'm glad someone started this thread. Will it stay up after the complaints come in.

OP
OP
R

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ I didn't mean for this thread to be one that points fingers.
Just want to see how many people rather see realistic pictures of corals. I understand that photoshop and other programs like this are needed to help balance colors because our aquarium lightingIs usually more blue, but some of it is just ridiculously overdone.. IMO..

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ I didn't mean for this thread to be one that points fingers.
Just want to see how many people rather see realistic pictures of corals. I understand that photoshop and other programs like this are needed to help balance colors because our aquarium lightingIs usually more blue, but some of it is just ridiculously overdone.. IMO..

Regarding lighting issues, I see both sides. I mean, if someone runs heavy actinic/blue light, then that's what the coral looks like in their tank. It's not their fault that you too don't run such lighting. Imagine if some old timer with his 6500K MH lighting starts buying some of these new corals. NOTHING is going to look like it did in the picture, in his tank :bigsmile:

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, for one, enjoy and appreciate our vendors here on R2R. I am not a Photoshop expert, but my husband pretty much knows what the coral look like. And anything we've bought, we've been utterly satisfied with. For those like us, who have to drive 2 1/2 hours to get to any kind of worthy fish store, online vendors are pretty much our go to places. I do not know who Photoshops their pics for sale, but this certainly does not display integrity. But that is why we have vendor feed backs, so that those who are not satisfied with their purchases can voice their concerns. So sorry for those who have had bad experiences, but put in the proper place, hopefully these concerns will be addressed. And I can assure all who read this, that the administration of this community has the up most respect for its community and vendors and does not play favorites. This is one forum where integrity is priority NUMBER #1!

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congress should pass a law that vendors can only shoot under 6500K lighting =D

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have it all wrong. They won't HAVE to shoot under 6500K, they'll just have to pay a fine, which no one will enforce, if they don't :bigsmile:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am very disappointed to learn how many of these coral pics on here are edited (photoshopped).
I have been reefing for about a little over 1 1/2 yrs and have learned the hard way
that many corals sold online are misrepresented..
Like when I go to my LFS and buy coral it ends up looking way better in my
tank. But online is a way different story, many times they look nothing like the pics.
anyone else feel this way? I no longer buy online except from a couple vendors I trust.
Rather drive to LFS and see what I am getting..

May I ask you why you why you have created another username here on R2R after being banned multiple times?

You have over 5 accounts and who knows how many more.

Please give me a valid reason within an hour.

Thanks.

OP
OP
R

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I guess I must have broke some rule. Sorry! Mods please delete this thread . Thanks!

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm definitely tired of it,but when I mentioned it in a friends post the other day someone deleated it and said they were cleaning up the thread. Photoshop seems to be protected depending on who uses it. I will not buy or even comment on these fake corals. I'm glad someone started this thread. Will it stay up after the complaints come in.

If you have first hand feedback you want to leave in the proper forum without breaking the forum rules then you are more than welcome to leave it. If it is in the wrong forum and without first hand experience it will be removed.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been fooled once that I can remember. Can you guess which pic is mine;)
HP%20F2211%20159%20Bright%20Christmas%20Favia--WYSIWYG_small[1].jpg
Photo0089[1].jpg

When I emailed the vendor(which shall remain nameless and has a good reputation) they said it was probably just a lighting difference... They were using a pretty standard t5 combo which was very similar to mine.... still a nice coral but would have been killer if it looked like the one in the pic.

OP
OP
R

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask you why you why you have created another username here on R2R after being banned multiple times?

You have over 5 accounts and who knows how many more.

Please give me a valid reason within an hour.

Thanks.
Wow! I guess I'm not welcome here anymore. Sorry for any troubles Rev.
I am signing out now..

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The trouble is not the thread you started. The trouble is that you have had multiple accounts banned for different reasons and here I just found this one again.

To everyone else:

This thread is perfectly fine to continue as long as it doesn't turn into a flaming. :D

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back