Anyone else tired of oversaturated, photoshopped to death, photos of corals?

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have are LEDs on my tank so pics don't take well. Also I use an iPhone. I use the camera plus app and use the redscale effect to balance out the pic. I feel it shows a better representation of what my coral look like.

Do you feel it wrong for me to do this?

Here is an example
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340995628.672630.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340995641.322036.jpg

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to post a vendor pic (without mention of the specific vendor whatsoever) we purchased next to what the coral actually looks like?
That's a good question and this thread is great I wonder if vendors wanna shimme in also

pciscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev I tend to disagree with the censure and would agree on banning people who do not think before they post or are rude(a time out), but locking threads that tip toe around issues that make sellers uncomfortable is not a benefit to the community. I have seen whole threads disappear and it is wrong in this community members opinion? If I represent something for sale with an enhanced picture that does not represent what is being sold I should be called out sponsor or not, and I do not think the photo game will change unless these threads are allowed to run there course?

OP
OP
R

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trouble is not the thread you started. The trouble is that you have had multiple accounts banned for different reasons and here I just found this one again.

To everyone else:

This thread is perfectly fine to continue as long as it doesn't turn into a flaming. :D
Actually it was one time for one reason. We worked it out through email and I waited a few months to create this new Username. I never received any Grief regarding my new username , almost up to 400 posts, until this thread came about. I had no intention of pointing fingers at anyone. Just wanted to see how others felt about this. Some of these corals will never look like their pic even under any LED lighting.
I don't mind editing to represent colors better but thats not what I was talking about that, and I understand diff lighting conditions and top down shots. I'm referring to pictures that are so blatantly over photoshopped..
I really am sorry for what happened in the past but I have apologized several times already and that's all I can offer is an apology..

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rev I tend to disagree with the censure and would agree on banning people who do not think before they post or are rude(a time out), but locking threads that tip toe around issues that make sellers uncomfortable is not a benefit to the community. I have seen whole threads disappear and it is wrong in this community members opinion? If I represent something for sale with an enhanced picture that does not represent what is being sold I should be called out sponsor or not, and I do not think the photo game will change unless these threads are allowed to run there course?

Maybe you should read all of my posts in the thread especially the one that said feedback is allowed in the proper forum if that's what you mean by calling out. Also this thread would not disappear it would be locked. ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually it was one time for one reason. We worked it out through email and I waited a few months to create this new Username. I never received any Grief regarding my new username , almost up to 400 posts, until this thread came about. I had no intention of pointing fingers at anyone. Just wanted to see how others felt about this. Some of these corals will never look like their pic even under any LED lighting.
I don't mind editing to represent colors better but thats not what I was talking about that, and I understand diff lighting conditions and top down shots. I'm referring to pictures that are so blatantly over photoshopped..
I really am sorry for what happened in the past but I have apologized several times already and that's all I can offer is an apology..

Usually when threads like these come about we will do some checking because it is usually someone trying to stir drama whether it be a jaded member or another vendor trying to fly under the radar. Most of the time we find it is one of the two. I actually like these threads to be honest. I just want to to stay flame free. :)

We will discuss the actions we will take among the mods concerning you. Thanks.

OP
OP
R

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense... But if you've been banned multiple times I would say that you should have already known that you're not welcome here... and your "sorry" comes off as quite shallow and insincere.
I'm not sure why you feel this way. My apology was to David and %100 sincere. I know I was wrong and never argued the ban, (just once, not multiples) and Just asked to come back with no reply so created a new username but used my real name with no intent to deceive anyone..

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't mind you coming back to the forms although I don't know what was the reason for gettin kicked off in the first place nor do I care. I know other sites ban you and it could be for the silliest things way too strict IMO this is a good site that I spend a lot of time on lol. Back to topic photoshop is a great tool for anyone who knows how to use it I too was fooled by a vendor on here with a photo of a coral that looks noting like there pic. At the end of the day I learned my lesson and won't be fooled twice. It's up to the buyer to stop supporting these photoshopped pics.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We recently purchased a few frags from a LFS who was in an area we were staying for the week. The frags were under heavy blue LED and I knew what I was doing. My wife even made a comment of how awesome some of the pieces looked and I tld her that the LED's were making them look this way. She reminded that we use LED's over our tank so it doesn't matter. She had a point! LOL!

The frags we got look pretty blah under regular lighting but under LED's they look great. I knew about it so I am fine with it.

There is still part of me that wants it to look awesome under all lighting! LOL!

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We recently purchased a few frags from a LFS who was in an area we were staying for the week. The frags were under heavy blue LED and I knew what I was doing. My wife even made a comment of how awesome some of the pieces looked and I tld her that the LED's were making them look this way. She reminded that we use LED's over our tank so it doesn't matter. She had a point! LOL!

The frags we got look pretty blah under regular lighting but under LED's they look great. I knew about it so I am fine with it.

There is still part of me that wants it to look awesome under all lighting! LOL!

Yes the more you look at your corals under blue led only the more you never want to turn on the whites LOL thats me anyway

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to say that you can state your opinion without saying that buying something online is not the smart thing to do, or should not be done, since that is basically all R2R vendors do-sale on line. Not every online vendor is a dirty rotten scoundral, and should not be grouped with any that are. Since this is a concern of the community, I am sure Rev will be addressing it privately with mods, vendors, etc. But to say the only way to buy is from the local fish stores is not, IMO, accurate. We have been doing this for a little while ;), and the vendors on R2R are amazing, and are always looking to satisfy its customers, or they would not be in business. And if you experience problems with vendors, please reply in their feedback.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes the more you look at your corals under blue led only the more you never want to turn on the whites LOL thats me anyway

Exactly! LOL!

I just turned my white down a little today! HEHE!

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why you feel this way. My apology was to David and 0 sincere. I know I was wrong and never argued the ban, (just once, not multiples) and Just asked to come back with no reply so created a new username but used my real name with no intent to deceive anyone..

Please disregard my previous statement if that is the case...

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I tend to agree with this and have read your post about the feedback forums. There have been several posters in this thread that have voiced the same concern and that they were scared if they asked something about it the thread would be closed or they would be banned. So regardless of the fact that there is an outlet, the community feels this. Good info to know, and do with as you like.

It is definately a catch 22. The sponsors are a huge reason this site is so successful. On the flip side the community Should feel able to discuss freely.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe you should read all of my posts in the thread especially the one that said feedback is allowed in the proper forum if that's what you mean by calling out. Also this thread would not disappear it would be locked. ;)

again..

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to post a vendor pic (without mention of the specific vendor whatsoever) we purchased next to what the coral actually looks like?
This is the 4th time this question is being asked in this thread haha! Either it's being ignored or just simply overlooked 3 times. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the 4th time this question is being asked in this thread haha! Either it's being ignored or just simply overlooked 3 times. :)

Both! HA!

Post it up. As long as our rules stay in tact you don't even have to ask questions like this. :)

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We actually find it easier to get a quality photo if we add white bulbs to the mix. Post processing is still required but that 15k aqua science bulb helps get the colors right. Our shots under the Radium halides I consider easy to take.

Taking shots under LED's is well........HARD!!! I don't know how people do it, I dread even trying. When we do it we have to turn our Radion's to the "ugly" setting just to take a decent photo. I do love the Radions though, we are having excellent results in the one tank that has them. Off topic but I love ecotech as a company, cool products and killer support.

I think the shadiest thing I have seen lately is when peeps use a flash and then go crazy in photoshop. You can up the sat a million times and the egg crate will still appear white.

That being said I think that like Peter, we all develop that automatic filter and can easily judge an unrealistic photo.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back