Anyone have a leafy sea dragon?

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have been quite curious about this creature in the hobby ever since I saw a video of them. If anyone has ever kept one for a while I’d be curious on what I actually need set up for them, I know they require colder temps but other than that any specific requirements in tank? Can this be kept with pipefish or sea horses? I’m already hatching my own brine shrimp so feeding them wouldn’t be an issue.

Any info would be appreciated!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I helped with them in my PA days. You can manage a larger temperate tank fine, but the cost of live mysids make them basically not realistic to keep, unless you live somewhere you can collect daily. Not to mention they are difficult for the general public to acquire. Weedys are a more realistic option.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I helped with them in a commercial aquarium, but in home would be very, very difficult. One of those that stay in the wild or only in huge facilities.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I helped with them in my PA days. You can manage a larger temperate tank fine, but the cost of live mysids make them basically not realistic to keep, unless you live somewhere you can collect daily. Not to mention they are difficult for the general public to acquire. Weedys are a more realistic option.
They have them available at algae barn supposedly easier to care for than the wild caught ones so it really sparked my interest on getting one of them

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I helped with them in a commercial aquarium, but in home would be very, very difficult. One of those that stay in the wild or only in huge facilities.
Difficult because of the requirements? They just have them available at algae barn and they look so dang cool so I wouldn’t mind getting a tank just for them and perhaps some pipefish

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficult because of the requirements? They just have them available at algae barn and they look so dang cool so I wouldn’t mind getting a tank just for them and perhaps some pipefish
This seems like an extremely interesting opportunity. If you're serious about them contact algaebarn/biota to talk about what it would take to make it happen.

I've seen these for sale only once before, and this must be part of an experimental captive breeding program at biota. The wild caught ones cost 10x as much. I think Australia restricts their export. Could be wrong though. My point is only that if you want to try this, snap them up, because this may not be an opportunity that is repeated.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, did not know about the captive bred ones. The ones I cared for were in a very cool tank so need good chiller. Also, the eating habits of live food (again, these were wild) and the environment. It was a huge tank with tons of kelp and such. Not sure a small home tank would do it.
Maybe they are smaller. I will do some searching too. Now that peaks my interest as I have always loved sea dragons.

Ulmo

0 1 1 2 3 5 8 ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was floored yesterday when I saw algaebarn send an e-mail about the "rare" offerings that includes phycodurus equis, the leafy sea dragon. I even thought it may just be an April Fools joke.

Has been a dream of mine for 30+ years to have a leafy sea dragon aquarium. Spent many hours watching them at big aquariums and on video.

I'll likely be buying a big tank for cold-water setup within the next couple years if they can reliably and sustainably captive breed these. The other big thing I'll be watching for is more information from hobbyists learning feeding and care strategies in the home aquarium for these awesome creatures.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These should go to an experienced person who is really jazzed about setting up a species tank with the space, cool water, and live food that they will need to thrive.

Amazing to see these for sale.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reviewed the algae barn site and they are what I though. Really tough to keep unless you are really dedicated. If you decide to get them, I wish you best of luck. They are amazing creatures.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like an extremely interesting opportunity. If you're serious about them contact algaebarn/biota to talk about what it would take to make it happen.

I've seen these for sale only once before, and this must be part of an experimental captive breeding program at biota. The wild caught ones cost 10x as much. I think Australia restricts their export. Could be wrong though. My point is only that if you want to try this, snap them up, because this may not be an opportunity that is repeated.
Yeah that’s why I’m looking into it because I’ve always loved this creatures. So cheap too which is mind blowing. Will update on what they get back at me with maybe @AlgaeBarn can chime in and give us some insight on how they keep them in their facilities :)

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reviewed the algae barn site and they are what I though. Really tough to keep unless you are really dedicated. If you decide to get them, I wish you best of luck. They are amazing creatures.
Will update once I find out how they’re keeping them, do want to pull the trigger on it since it seems like such a rare opportunity

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, gotta say this thread really had me going and I fell for their April Fool's joke. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I've been wanting one since I first saw a picture in '87 or '88.

1648916321516.png

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't show until you try to add it to your cart, but it was not real.

Screenshot_20220402-121926.png

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy works at the Burch aquarium this are his baby's for last 5 years (obv they belong to aquarium but he has been feeding and looking after for quite a while)

Attachments

• 20170907_105042.jpg
    20170907_105042.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 163
  • 20170907_104648.jpg
    20170907_104648.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 77
Back