Anyone have a macro algae/mixed reef tank?

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m moving apartments in late March. I’m considering using the opportunity to attempt converting my tank to a macro algae mixed reef tank with mangroves. looking at either a 20 or 30 gallon tank at 2ft wide.

Anyone have experience with these kinds of tanks? And if you do, do you have any pictures? Lighting is the biggest question for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lighting would have to support soft corals and euphyllia alongside the macro algae and mangroves. The following are the lighting options that I would decide between

AI Prime 16HD on the right side and AI Prime Freshwater on the left side. Allowing for the corals on right and macro algae on left. I already have an AI Prime 16 H

Orphek OR3 Reef Day bars would allow me to supply greater spread and mix the corals in. But I can’t find if there are bars that also have red and green channels.

Alternatively I could use a Reef Breeders Photon 24. But this would be the most expensive lighting option.

Lastly, a Twinstar 600SP would be a great option for true full spectrum LED. I’m just not sure how well it would do at illuminating corals.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my mangrove lagoon, I use 6500k grow lights. I am not trying to get the corals to pop that I have in there, so no reef based lights. As long as they grow, that is all I am worried about.

For a tank that size, I would just do some AI prime HDs. one up high for the mangrove and one down low for the corals. I do not believe there is a need to do an FW one and a normal one.

@Tigahboy uses this setup on a mangrove/macro reef and it looks great.

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my mangrove lagoon, I use 6500k grow lights. I am not trying to get the corals to pop that I have in there, so no reef based lights. As long as they grow, that is all I am worried about.

For a tank that size, I would just do some AI prime HDs. one up high for the mangrove and one down low for the corals. I do not believe there is a need to do an FW one and a normal one.

@Tigahboy uses this setup on a mangrove/macro reef and it looks great.
I like eagles

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread lol but I use the orphek reef day bars and they do have red , although it’s only on one end weirdly not symmetrical , right under my mangrove is the red light

Attachments

• 6E5C28F5-9783-4A7E-B6E5-42EEF5FA231C.jpeg
    6E5C28F5-9783-4A7E-B6E5-42EEF5FA231C.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 102

Tylenator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread lol but I use the orphek reef day bars and they do have red , although it’s only on one end weirdly not symmetrical , right under my mangrove is the red light
Is this your reef tank if so can you tell me if that's dragon breath and what other plants/algae you have the tank is gorgeous

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this your reef tank if so can you tell me if that's dragon breath and what other plants/algae you have the tank is gorgeous
Thanks man ye it’s mine , there isn’t much macro algae in the display , some caulerpa/mangrove it’s mostly softies like Xenia / anthelia / zoas and then anemones

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I grow Dragonsbreath in a biocube with stock lights. It grows like an absolute weed. It’s doubles in size every month and if I don’t trim it it becomes a forest

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back