Anyone have a Renters insurance policy that covers property damaged from a failed aquarium?

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I’m in California and finding it challenging to get a renters insurance policy that would cover potential damages of the property that I’m renting in case of a tank failure. I’m not looking to cover my aquarium or livestock, just the property damage itself. I’ve done some research but haven’t found a definite answer. I’m looking for people that actually have a policy and whom it is with. Thanks.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone has info for you. My understanding is that the property owners insurance covers the fixed property and why most won’t let people have larger aquariums. Renters insurance typically only covers personal property items. Good luck

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren't going to find a policy. An insurance policy covers your belongings or property - And there is a reasonable value to that - The average renter isn't going to have wall to wall Monet's and Picassos in their rental unit. There is an assumption as to what the risk is for the value of the property.

But insuring not only the renter's apartment but those within the vicinity of it, is just too much of a risk. Someone on the first floor may only risk the apartment next door. But someone on the 10th floor could possibly cause water damage for 10 floors down.

Especially in California with so many mold issues and the cost of remediation - it's just not reasonable to expect insurance to cover such a scenario. You don't need 200g to do alot of mold damage.

You won't find a policy that covers the livestock. Many moons ago I was able to insure the contects of my tank as 'living art work'. And myself, and other hobbyists, made claims and were reimbursed for losses from tank disasters. But that went away probably about 1990.

Dave B

jwholl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, anyone dealt with a busted tank before? What was the fallout/how much work was it to clean up? I imagine you'd have to get into the drywall near the baseboards and rip up the underlying ceiling to dry it out.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I’m in California and finding it challenging to get a renters insurance policy that would cover potential damages of the property that I’m renting in case of a tank failure. I’m not looking to cover my aquarium or livestock, just the property damage itself. I’ve done some research but haven’t found a definite answer. I’m looking for people that actually have a policy and whom it is with. Thanks.
it would be your liability limits that cover damages you cause to someone else, or their property.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Canada they ask for an estimated value …
I pay a rather small premium but it covers $50k
I don’t know what it covers but my assumption is personal belongings or property.
I don’t think it would cover any damage to the unit . Which would be covered under the owners insurance

Blair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, anyone dealt with a busted tank before? What was the fallout/how much work was it to clean up? I imagine you'd have to get into the drywall near the baseboards and rip up the underlying ceiling to dry it out.
I had a 10 gallon explode and i wasnt home in time so it soaked through the floor to the basement. I think it was $5000 for repairs. Drying the floor, replacing the carpet and drying the basement to prevent mold

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Canada they ask for an estimated value …
I pay a rather small premium but it covers $50k
I don’t know what it covers but my assumption is personal belongings or property.
I don’t think it would cover any damage to the unit . Which would be covered under the owners insurance
but the owner won’t want to pay for it. that’s why here in the u.s. you need liability coverage. it’s part of homeowners and renters policies, as well as vehicle insurance. it all does the same thing - pays for damages you’re liable for to other people.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but the owner won’t want to pay for it. that’s why here in the u.s. you need liability coverage. it’s part of homeowners and renters policies, as well as vehicle insurance. it all does the same thing - pays for damages you’re liable for to other people.
I don’t think it’s law or a requirement for a tenant to have their own insurance .

It’s logical , but not required

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s law or a requirement for a tenant to have their own insurance .

It’s logical , but not required
it could be a requirement by the home/apartment owner. even if it’s not required, nobody likes getting sued.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, the liability coverage on a renters policy can cover certain legal expenses. but, if you have liability then it would pay for the damages in the first place. you always want the highest limits available by your provider.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.2%
Back