HighlandReef

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats better of the standard brands ?

whats better of the standard brands ? marineland ?
Got busy during holidays and didn’t get a chance to check back until now.
LFS is getting us a planet aquarium tank.
These are solid tanks.
I checked with 3 of the LFS in my area and they have never had an issue with planet aquarium. No more cheap tanks for me, learned the hard way.

OP
OP
HighlandReef

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear this. I suppose this could happen with any and all tanks and builders. Most I've heard about consistently over the years have been Marineland, early on glass cages, and so far 1st gen Red Sea.

I bought my aqueon rimmed 40 breeder from Petco back when they had $1/gallon sales probably just over 10 years ago now. I've used it as a sump and has been moved 3 times. Carried awkwardly up and down basement stairs each time to get cleaned out. Pretty well used and abused.

In general, would agree.
My 210 all glass brand tank (all glass aquarium was purchased by Aqueon years ago) is almost 15 years old and still going strong.
I think most everyone would agree, Things were build differently back then.
I also have 2 all glass aquarium 40 breeders that are at least 10 years old, maybe older.
My 210 is at least 1/2” glass, my 40 breeders are 1/4” glass.

Aqueon 40 and 60 breeders are now made with 3/16” glass. IMO, that’s a little thin.

Now going planet aquarium 62g, opening up the wallet but that’s ok, I would rather pay more and have a good quality product.

When the 60 breeder leaked, took out my Samsung 65” in the basement and the Sony soundbar. Both expensive items.
Saltwater leaked through the floor boards and onto TV and surround sound speakers in the basement.
Luckily, water didn't get into my stereo system cabinet. That would have been bad.
Not worth me going cheap anymore, cost of everything already cost more than purchasing a good quality tank from the get go.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqueon 40 and 60 breeders are now made with 3/16” glass. IMO, that’s a little thin.
Interesting,,, this has always puzzled me -- all specs I found said 1/4" but:
My 40 breeder seems to be 3/16" -- just with ruler looking through glass,,, never took the time to rig up something rigid/flat/thick to get a caliper over the top rim.

Never worried about it but it I always wondered if this was just false advertising or I got a one-off or what....

*about 2.5 years since tank purchase,,, during PetCo $/gallon sale,,, 40B didn't qualify but still close at $49

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back