Aqueon tank failure

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The same thing happened to my son about three months ago. He bought a 60-gallon Aqueon on sale from Petco. He got a month out of it before the seam gave way and salt water all over their living room floor. I gave him a 90-gallon Sepora I had and wasn't using anymore. I hope that tank holds up for him.
I recently had a leak. If I was to buy a used tank, I'd reseal it. It's actually quite simple.

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jesus i just got a 60 gallon breeder and 40 breeder for sump. hope they hold up after seeing this thread. sry it happened to you and your son dude

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear this. I suppose this could happen with any and all tanks and builders. Most I've heard about consistently over the years have been Marineland, early on glass cages, and so far 1st gen Red Sea.

I bought my aqueon rimmed 40 breeder from Petco back when they had $1/gallon sales probably just over 10 years ago now. I've used it as a sump and has been moved 3 times. Carried awkwardly up and down basement stairs each time to get cleaned out. Pretty well used and abused.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75 gallon had a crack in the front bottom corner. I watched it Grow from a half inch to a inch and a half over the course of a couple months. I contacted the pet store that I bought it from and since it was less than a year old they replaced it for free. It was a pita because I had to empty the tank and bring it to the store when they received the new one, then bring the new tank back home and fill it back up.
I hope you can get the squared away from wherever you bought it from.

OP
OP
HighlandReef

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just as a quick update.
The tank was originally purchased from Petco and ended up just getting in store credit for the tank, which is fine.
That’s all I got, any additional damage is on me.
We will just use the credit for food, misc equipment, etc.
Floors are fine, cleanup was just a PIA.
My sons room is above the basement living room area.
Some water ended up getting into the big screen TV that is in the basement, TV will need to be replaced. Also took out the soundbar that was under the TV.
What really sucks is replacement is on me.
Regardless, I think I am done with Aqueon tanks. Technically any tank can probably leak but will just call it a learning experience and move on.
At the end it f the day, Aqueon are cheap tanks that I just don’t want to gamble on anymore.
One of my local LFS has also had a few issues with the 60 breeders, seems glass is a bit thin for a 60 gallon tank.
Or I guess could also be poor craftsmanship by whoever is building the tanks?
I think we are going to go with a planet aquarium AIO, I think that will be a good fit for my son’s room.
I measured the glass on the 60 breeder and it is only 3/16” thick. I have an old 40 breeder that I use as a frag tank that is 1/4” glass. Smaller tank, thicker glass.
I am not sure why they are using 3/16” glass in a 60 breeder but I guess that’s now what Aqueon uses.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had 5,10,20gallon last years without issue. Had two 55 for about 4years. Switched one from freshwater to saltwater and within a week it scared the crap out of me. One night heard a loud pop. Rushed to tank looking for cause. No glass, seam break, or leaking so I kept investigating. Then I saw it.... A gap between glass lid and top ledge pointed out the front was bowed out 1/4" because the thin plastic cross brace cracked on both sides. Saw the same in the back. Rushed to hardware store for garbage cans to save the freshly made saltwater and apartment floors. Got lucky, drained in time without a catastrophe. Tossed that tank and gave other to niece for reptiles. Leary of large Aqueon ever since. I replace the 55 with a 75g Oceanic without fail.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wonderful… my 125 is Aqueon and my 70 is a red sea… winning on picking tanks where people post about these problems!! That sounds like a lot of damage

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 210 Aqueon Tank. leaked bottom seam . Tank was fully warrantied after 12 years of use. They replaced the tank with no questions asked all they wanted was serial number.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I am very sorry to hear this. It was undoubtly a nightmare and a lot of anxiety for the OP.

That has not been my experience with Aqueon fortunately. I have had 1 AGA 90 rimmed tank and 2 rimmed Aqueon tanks, a 36 bowfront and my current 56 gallon column. Every one of those tanks were great. My current 56 gallon was set up November 2016. The 36 gallon bowfront was up for 5 years before I took it down to upgrade and it was great.

Again I am really sorry to all of you who have experienced failures!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Me! I absolutely hate them multiple issues with leaking TANKS and will never ever ever get another Aqueon! I prefer Marineland if we are talking about mass manufactured rimmed tanks. Sorry to hear. I have a Marineland tank I bought used and it’s going on 7 years strong.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell so many of these tanks that some are going to leak. You see 10x the red sea leak threads and they sell way less. I will say, looking at one tank and another at petco. The builds are very inconsistent with aqueon.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me! I absolutely hate them multiple issues with leaking TANKS and will never ever ever get another Aqueon! I prefer Marineland if we are talking about mass manufactured rimmed tanks. Sorry to hear. I have a Marineland tank I bought used and it’s going on 7 years strong.

Sorry to say but there are many Marineland seam break/leak reports as well. Much more so than Aqueon. Also spanning many years for over a decade now.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to say but there are many Marineland seam break/leak reports as well. Much more so than Aqueon. Also spanning many years for over a decade now.
And Red Sea so sadly no tank is perfect but depending on personal experience you will have your own views. Now if we are talking about no issues or very little custom tanks and Waterbox. I have never heard of a single Waterbox leaking or bursting and in my experience their customer service is fantastic. While Red Sea sweeps it under the rug/ignores it time and time again…although I know they’ve been around longer.

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting to hear. Out of all the mass produced tanks, Aqueon was always my go to. I've had so many Aqueon tanks setup off and on for YEARS with no issues. Wonder if something has changed recently? Out of all the tanks to choose from, it should be easy to bypass to find a brand you can trust. Personally, I wouldn't touch a Marineland tank like the plague, but would have no qualms with an Aqueon.

Was this also on an Aqueon stand or? I will say their pine stands were always super cheap crap, but held fine for years and years.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqueon tanks can’t even get the glass on straight…. I found some with the glass 1/3 of an inch setback on the sides from top to botto

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any issues with aqueon tank seam failure?
My son’s 60 breeder, had a seam failure today. Livestock is in my system but made a huge mess.
Tank was in his bedroom, second floor.
Had water running through the floor into the basement. What a mess! Wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy.
Basement will be fine, but bedrooms have original hardwood floors.
If those are damaged, that’s an expensive repair.
I have had several all glass aquarium tanks over the years but this is the first since aqueon took over all glass, not at all impressed. Been in the hobby a while.
Looks like bottom seam failed. Tank was on level stand, it should not have failed. Had to just be ****** construction of the tank itself.
Aqueon web site shows limited lifetime warranty but I don’t know if it’s even worth the risk?
Tank was just setup yesterday, was fine until about 3 hours ago.
Heard running water and went to check what the heck was going on, found tank leaking onto floor.
I have an all glass aquarium 40 breeder in the basement, that tank is over 20 years old.
Still going strong. Is it safe to assume quality has gone to **** since aqueon took over all glass aquarium?
yes I had a 20 gallon that had a seam failure, seen several reviews lately on aqueon tanks having seam issues

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaks just don’t occur by poor workmanship, there are other causes.

One cause we see is the reefer who uses a steel scraper right to the corners and chipping off the seal over time. It’s better to stay away 1/4” to safe guard.

Non perfect flat surfaces can also lead to leaks and glass failure.

I not suggesting you have any of these, just some of things we run into.

I have an aqueon with a manufacturer sticker dated 2010, still in operation, and it has been moved several times.

This Aqueon 65g is 13 years old.
IMG_0160.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back