Anyone have the Bubble Magus Roller Filter?

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 1 inch vinyl tubing leading into my sump. Can I attach that straight to the filter or do I need an adapter? I have a 1 inch barb end to attach the tube to the rest of the plumbing. Would the hose that comes with the filter attach to that?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving mine. I bought a polyester felt roll and cut it to size instead of replacement rolls. Now when its over i wash it like a filter sock and replace it. Only lasts a month because its thicker but i dont have to wait for a new roll or buy one.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving mine. I bought a polyester felt roll and cut it to size instead of replacement rolls. Now when its over i wash it like a filter sock and replace it. Only lasts a month because its thicker but i dont have to wait for a new roll or buy one.
How reliable has it been? Any quality issues? Motor still working as it should? What about the float switch? Do you regret not spending more for bells and whistles?

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How reliable has it been? Any quality issues? Motor still working as it should? What about the float switch? Do you regret not spending more for bells and whistles?
No problems at all. Very reliable. I dont know why it isnt more popular. The float valve works fine too. Id buy it again.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problems at all. Very reliable. I dont know why it isnt more popular. The float valve works fine too. Id buy it again.
Would you get the large or medium? My tank is 120dt basement sump, total current volume about 160. My sump is a diy 40 breeder the large will be tight with current configuration but can modify. Thanks for your input.

sfboarders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my first roll. The original roll lasted 1.5 months on my 150 gallon. I noticed the replacement rolls are smaller than the original roll. Also, is it me or does the replacement rolls seem to be a finer micron? I notice that the water level in the roller goes up faster making the filter roll more.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you get the large or medium? My tank is 120dt basement sump, total current volume about 160. My sump is a diy 40 breeder the large will be tight with current configuration but can modify. Thanks for your input.
I dont really know which would be better. Probably the bigger has more surface area and rolls would last longer. I run about 800gph through mine and its fine.

OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually recently sold mine, although I had no problems with it or anything, I just don't really have a nutrient problem and I got tired of spending ~$20 a month on rolls just to keep my sump a bit cleaner.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned my medium for about 4 mo. I don't regret getting it and is still working fine. I also noticed the new rolls are slightly smaller and does seem to be a tighter weave. I liked whatever the original roll was but still not dissatisfied with it. Would be even better if it was a higher micron weave. It's not necessary to have such a tight weave.

I can push somewhere around 900gph through it but the water level does ride closer to the top. There's no way you could get 1500 gph through it, as BM states, with the current replacement rolls!

Anyone know of another source for replacement rolls that has a higher micron weave? I'm running a UV off the return as well and need a higher total throughput.

If I were to do it again I would probably get the wider large one, although the replacement roll cost is higher. I definitely don't regret getting rid of socks though!

OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that already, a couple issues:

The poly material like the stock BM rolls are only comes in tight micron rating, I think it was like 30 micron. And they are not a whole lot cheaper than the BM rolls unless you buy really large quantity.

There is also a rayon material which can be had in 80 micron I think this would probably work better but when you first load the filter with it, it makes your skimmer go nuts which is really annoying. It could be like new socks and you just have to soak it in RO first, I never tried that.

Kerrihar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at one of these units - how much tension is there on the roll when it's operating?

I'm trying to evaluate whether some other filter media could be used without pulling apart.

OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at one of these units - how much tension is there on the roll when it's operating?

I'm trying to evaluate whether some other filter media could be used without pulling apart.

At least for the BM there is little tension. The rayon (stretchier) paper would work fine. However as noted above it makes your skimmer go nuts.

sfboarders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitely see a difference with the replacement BM rolls. My water seems to be more clearer now! Just wish they had the same amount of material as the original roll that came with the filter roller. I don't think these new rolls will last me 1.5 months.

Kerrihar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies to keep asking questions, but anyone have a rough measurement on the BM replacement rolls diameter out-of-the-package? Still trying to figure out a possible filter material replacement.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well mine has been working flawlessly since about March. Tonight I got home and I noticed the water spilling from the overflow openings. The LED is no longer blinking and the roll does not advance. I confirmed with a meter that there is 12V going to the motor controller assembly. So either the controller or motor is bad. I will say I really love the roller filter and it really did it's job. It should last longer than 8 months though. Hopefully I just got a lemon motor and they'll replace it. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back