Anyone interested?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 30, 2019
Messages
2,888
Reaction score
6,768
Location
Southeast USA
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y'all!
I was recently browsing online on some livestock websites, and I came to the realization that almost none of the listings for acropora had scientific names! This bugs me a bit, because not many people take the time to list the species names, which may be important in the future, especially if this hobby gets anything like the dart frog hobby. ;)
So, would anyone be interested in compiling an acropora identification thread on Reef2Reef? I'm not sure if that already exists, but I think that could be awesome info to know!
Anyone interested?
 
agree that would be good (hobby names are ridiculous) I just think it would be too dificult for non-experts to do correctly most acropora require microscopes for skeletal id and many of the morphological ids don't hold up against genetics (cryptic species and phenotypic plasticity). Worked with a coral expert in Indonesia for most things he was happy if he could get it to genus in the field and anything he brought back he just sequenced, because coarl taxonomist is not an in demand job skill his students were just trained on the molecular side.

If I ever get my own lab I think a sequence data base of all the corals in collection could be paired with a data base of wild corals we could even do populaiton genetics if we have good wild representation. Not an easy funding sell at the moment, but at the rate reefs are dying there might be intrest in the future.
 
I agree that more should be interested in this but it will be too hard to make one thread about all of the species. I think it might be worth starting individual threads on say acropora nasuta and get people to post theirs, then file all the threads in one large thread and we can make a sticky. Problem is a lot of people get confused with what coral is what or were told it’s one thing and it’s really another so thoes threads get filled with half the right pics and half wrong.
 
90% of Acro keepers have no idea or are at best misinformed. The only way this could work is if someone with the knowledge could sort through and delete the incorrect ids which will be plentiful. Look at the existing ID threads, the suggestions are usually so far off its mind boggling, with the exception of a handful of folks that actually know what theyre talking about.
 
Most people aren’t qualified to identify a genus and species. Even those amongst us with the most beautiful packed sps tanks. Pulling color and growing mass are basically unrelated to correct application of binomial nomenclature.
 
Just too many people who think they know throwing names out there. If you want to learn the corals by species, scientific names. I'd suggest taking the time to do so yourself. There's plenty of info online per species, and the more you look and study the easier it will become like anything. It would be awesome to have a species thread but it would never be accurate on these boards, imo.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new