anyone is using mesh pouch with your chaeto?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking to put a tennis ball size chaeto into a mesh pouch and drop it in the sump. The thinking behind it is for easier harvesting.

My question is will apex pods which is smaller than tigger pods can still have access to chaeto.

Any issue that I should be thinking about?

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be worried about it getting enough light and having enough space to grow. If the mesh is big enough for pods to get through, I’d imagine that it is big enough for detritus to get out as well.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light reduction?

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s how it looks like.
58816C75-3E50-4336-9908-91A67D6BDA9D.jpeg

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the chaeto from the pouch and I wish I didn't. The chaeto floated into the return chamber when I turned off my pump during feeding time and it got sucked in my the pump and shred some of them into pieces. Caused some work on my end :(

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the chaeto from the pouch and I wish I didn't. The chaeto floated into the return chamber when I turned off my pump during feeding time and it got sucked in my the pump and shred some of them into pieces. Caused some work on my end :(
I know it’s a pain. I went through that once before. I wouldn’t put it in the pouch but I would slow down the flow through that area if you can.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s a pain. I went through that once before. I wouldn’t put it in the pouch but I would slow down the flow through that area if you can.

I don't think it would matter as when the pump is turned off the water rises above the baffles and anything floating will roaming freely. Let me know if I miss anything.

But, if I don't turn off the pump food will get sucked in easily down to the sump. What do you guys do during feeding time? Do you turn off pump?

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off my pump during feeding but don't have the issue of the water going over the baffles. I have used a media basket rather than a mesh bag in the past when i had small ball of chaeto. I picked it up from one of the big box reef stores and it had suction cups to mount it to the side of the sump. Then I used a piece of eggcrate as a lid to hold the chaeto in the basket and to allow the light through.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off my pump during feeding but don't have the issue of the water going over the baffles. I have used a media basket rather than a mesh bag in the past when i had small ball of chaeto. I picked it up from one of the big box reef stores and it had suction cups to mount it to the side of the sump. Then I used a piece of eggcrate as a lid to hold the chaeto in the basket and to allow the light through.

good idea!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your frustration with chaeto finding its way everywhere is part of the reason that I recently added a #reefoctopus Light Reactor so that I can have an enclosed area to grow chaeto. Previously, I had added a large pore sponge between the baffles that separated the return pump section of the sump and that kept most of the chaeto away from the pump. One of the baffles of that set was high enough that water would not go over the top when the pumps were shut off.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that would of worked anyway. Ime the key is starting with a big enough ball to get established.

A lot of people like creating a chaeto sandwich with eggcrate. Mines in a free flowing part of the sump. When it was small I sandwiched it between eggcrate then zip tied rock on the end to keep it down. Now theres so much it doesnt matter.

I wish you lived close. I throw out a huge fistful or more a week.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your frustration with chaeto finding its way everywhere is part of the reason that I recently added a #reefoctopus Light Reactor so that I can have an enclosed area to grow chaeto. Previously, I had added a large pore sponge between the baffles that separated the return pump section of the sump and that kept most of the chaeto away from the pump. One of the baffles of that set was high enough that water would not go over the top when the pumps were shut off.
I was looking into reefoctopus chaeto reactor and they are $600 CAD which is outrageous IMO so it is not being considered right now.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that would of worked anyway. Ime the key is starting with a big enough ball to get established.

A lot of people like creating a chaeto sandwich with eggcrate. Mines in a free flowing part of the sump. When it was small I sandwiched it between eggcrate then zip tied rock on the end to keep it down. Now theres so much it doesnt matter.

I wish you lived close. I throw out a huge fistful or more a week.

I put it back into a mesh pouch. It is not a fine mesh as you can see so I think light will still go through it just fine.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back