Anyone keep a clam-only tank?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi hart, can I ask you about this mystery disease?

Did it happen as soon as you added a new clam? Did your last addition die before the others ones did?

it seemed pretty random, if you look at some of the recent threads about vibrant being algaefix, which is toxic to at least some mollusks, now I wonder if there wasn’t a mystery disease at all but my use of vibrant a few times while the system was running…. I didn’t document when I used that product or when the clams died, as I never would have even guessed they could possibly be related so I can’t say for sure.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seemed pretty random, if you look at some of the recent threads about vibrant being algaefix, which is toxic to at least some mollusks, now I wonder if there wasn’t a mystery disease at all but my use of vibrant a few times while the system was running…. I didn’t document when I used that product or when the clams died, as I never would have even guessed they could possibly be related so I can’t say for sure.
Thank you so much.

I wanted to update this thread with some good news: I got a clam!

5FC7B2EF-32C6-4889-8E4B-402276AAD42D.jpeg
As for my “clam only tank” goal…it’s not happening! I decided to only keep 1 maxima in the 260. Maybe I will add a second, but definitely not more (I do have a derasa also).

Thank you so much guys for informing me! :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound insane, but I did some of my own research and decided to have a pretty aggressive QT protocol:

Brought clam home, scrubbed thoroughly with toothbrush. Freshwater dipped for 30 minutes (the clam was sealed shut the entire time). I added to my QT and put it in a low light spot and then tuned my light to give it 300-350 par (with par meter).

This clam was wild caught so it should quickly adapt to the higher par. I will slightly raise light intensity after a few weeks. Then I will keep it in QT for at least 6 weeks.

The clam acclimated very quickly. This picture was the same day I purchased it! Now it’s extending even more!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much.

I wanted to update this thread with some good news: I got a clam!

5FC7B2EF-32C6-4889-8E4B-402276AAD42D.jpeg
As for my “clam only tank” goal…it’s not happening! I decided to only keep 1 maxima in the 260. Maybe I will add a second, but definitely not more (I do have a derasa also).

Thank you so much guys for informing me! :)
That’s a beautiful Maxima! Got any photos of the Deresa?

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you asked me what my favorite invert was in the world…I would say a clam. They are so fricking cute and I don’t even know why! Maybe it’s because they look so squishy and the way their “mouths” suck nutrients and the way they close up when startled. Gosh…I can’t! ;Shamefullyembarrased

I am not in the right time now for this project (my main tank is now a FOWLR and all the extra space and time is for the fish QT). In a few years from now I’m definitely planning to keep a clam-only tank. It might sound so weird to even consider this.

I was thinking of a rather short tank but very long. Probably 40 gallons max size. This is because clams need a lot of light and cannot grow on top of each other as they will shadow.

The clams will be mainly maxima clams (my favorite). But derasa clams are good too…but they get kind of big!

I do have experience with keeping clams (derasa). I was able to grow them but today I rehomed them because I really need to focus on my FOWLR and the fish QT systems. :(

I just felt like sharing this idea. Has anyone ever kept a clam-only tank before? :)
i have 4 clams in my 75 mixed reef

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is 2 of them (sorry about the algae just got my cuc in) one on the rock is a crocea and the other is a hippopus
That sinularia is beautiful! Looks really natural next to the clams.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you asked me what my favorite invert was in the world…I would say a clam. They are so fricking cute and I don’t even know why! Maybe it’s because they look so squishy and the way their “mouths” suck nutrients and the way they close up when startled. Gosh…I can’t! ;Shamefullyembarrased

I am not in the right time now for this project (my main tank is now a FOWLR and all the extra space and time is for the fish QT). In a few years from now I’m definitely planning to keep a clam-only tank. It might sound so weird to even consider this.

I was thinking of a rather short tank but very long. Probably 40 gallons max size. This is because clams need a lot of light and cannot grow on top of each other as they will shadow.

The clams will be mainly maxima clams (my favorite). But derasa clams are good too…but they get kind of big!

I do have experience with keeping clams (derasa). I was able to grow them but today I rehomed them because I really need to focus on my FOWLR and the fish QT systems. :(

I just felt like sharing this idea. Has anyone ever kept a clam-only tank before? :)
The Waikiki aquarium had a cool little clam only tank. Not even a rock or a fish in there. Just 10 or 12 ranging in size sitting on a sand bed. Wish I had taken a pic.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back