Anyone keep a spare tank? I did.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep (kept) a 125 reef, 125 FW planted and 20 planted tanks. So, Thursday morning as I was just leaving for work, I noticed the 125 FW tank was about 4" low. I turned on the light to discover water dribbling all around the base. OH NO!! At the rate it was coming out, it couldn't have been leaking for more than an hour or two. Needless to say, I didn't go to work on Thursday.

Anyway, when I set up the reef and took down a 93 gallon cube, I decided to keep the cube as an spare tank. I bought a large HOB filter and new heater and kept everything I'd need to set it up in a hurry. Fast forward 4.5 years, and the spare tank is doing its job. It took about an hour and a half to get everything transferred, the 125 out, and clean up underway. All fish and plants are alive and well. The carpet is even mostly dry. If the leak had occurred in the reef tank, the rescue attempt would have been much more involved, but I'm fairly confident I could save my livestock.

Now it's decision time. The cube looks really good where it's sitting, and I really don't want to invest in a new 125 gallon FW tank. Might just try to find a used tank to keep as a spare. I've got plenty of time to make up my mind as long as I don't have another disaster soon. Regardless, I'm glad I kept the cube. It took up a lot of room in the shop, and I've considered selling it a dozen times. I'm SO glad I didn't.

Does anyone else have a contingency plan already in place for an emergency tank swap?

Last edited by a moderator:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several small tanks/tubs that would work for emergency plans. I recently took down a small Sera cube tank which was a terrarium. It actually has a reef LED retofit in it. Since it is AIO it would make a good back up in case the 29 has issues.

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 4 tanks running and a 35, 10, 8 and 5 gallon tanks in storage. I have enough gear to start all of the tanks I have but prefer to have backup backups. Sorry about the leak, It's nightmare fuel for me.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spare 225g tank with full filtration, calcium reactor running without co2, MH lighting and everything. It has just fish in it now to be viable system and while the phosphate is a bit high for a reef, I could have it ready in a few hours if I needed to - when I noticed that the P was high, I brought it down already.

This tank is only as a backup to my main display, which is 240g, just in case a seam fails, or something. It is in a storage room and not easy to view, but that is not the point.

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spare 225g tank with full filtration, calcium reactor running without co2, MH lighting and everything. It has just fish in it now to be viable system and while the phosphate is a bit high for a reef, I could have it ready in a few hours if I needed to - when I noticed that the P was high, I brought it down already.

This tank is only as a backup to my main display, which is 240g, just in case a seam fails, or something. It is in a storage room and not easy to view, but that is not the point.
I'm only allowed one 10 gallon tank in my lease, I have three tanks up and running that are over that limit. I live in constant fear that I will come home to a apartment full of water. I can't overstate the fear I live in

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't worry any less when it is your own actual home. :) This is where good, reliable equipment makes you feel a bit better. Most floods and leaks don't come from blown seals or bad tanks, but bad equipment failing.

A friend of mine had a cheap Chinese pump housing fail/crack and water squirted out the side of it near the outlet and emptied about 80 gallons into his main level before the water level dropped enough to stop it. Carpet, drywall, basement ceiling, etc. all needed help. He was back to reliable stuff after that.

In the end, fear does keep your tank from failing, but it can keep your tank from thriving... so be smart, buy reliable things and have a shop vac on hand just in case. :)

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my old 50g cube and a built an extruded alumnium stand that's broken down in case of a severe tank emergency. I'd use it and the 25g rodi storage in a pinch if the tank sprung a leak. I'm only worried about livestock and coral. I always hope I can catch it before something goes truly bad.

Last edited:

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 4 tanks running and a 35, 10, 8 and 5 gallon tanks in storage. I have enough gear to start all of the tanks I have but prefer to have backup backups. Sorry about the leak, It's nightmare fuel for me.
I remember those days! My lease didn't specifically forbid tanks, but it did require approval first. I was approved for a 50g freshwater, ended up with a 150g FOWLR. Thank goodness nothing ever leaked!!!

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember those days! My lease didn't specifically forbid tanks, but it did require approval first. I was approved for a 50g freshwater, ended up with a 150g FOWLR. Thank goodness nothing ever leaked!!!
I found out about this when I was looking into upgrading my 45 g fw to a 75g. I ended up getting rid of the 45 and started a reef tank. Now I have two reef tanks and I'm up to my fat neck in the saltwater world.

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not. I hope I never need one. Its good that you had one. If I had a spare sitting around it would end up getting filled with water... lol
Even a large Brute, heater and power head can be a short-term life saver.

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several small tanks/tubs that would work for emergency plans. I recently took down a small Sera cube tank which was a terrarium. It actually has a reef LED retofit in it. Since it is AIO it would make a good back up in case the 29 has issues.
Sounds like you have a plan. I think I would hold on to the cube.

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been a lot worse. Sounds like you have everything you need for a rescue mission.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210 gal reef and a 90 gal carpet anemone tank. Been thinking about buying a rubbermaid stock for some reason I might need it. Like QT ing 15 fish for ich or something.

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now THAT'S a contingency plan! Bravo!

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my old 50g cube and a built an extruded alumnium stand that's broken down in case of a severe tank emergency. I'd use it and the 25g rodi storage in a pinch if the tank sprung a leak. I'm only worried about livestock and coral. I always hope I can catch it before something goes truly bad.
It's a good feeling to know you have a plan in place if things go south quickly. Isn't it?

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My quarantine setup (2 40 gallon breeders) saved me when my tank blew a seam. Lots of towels come in handy in the event of a failure. I went through 40.
Yeah. I keep a cabinet full of towels for just such an emergency. Used pretty much all of them.

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210 gal reef and a 90 gal carpet anemone tank. Been thinking about buying a rubbermaid stock for some reason I might need it. Like QT ing 15 fish for ich or something.
Not a bad idea.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back