Anyone recognize these marks on my possum wrasse?

lizzyann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love some help diagnosing my precious possum wrasse. Pale patches have started showing up on her body, mostly near the head. So far it doesn't seem like there's any film, growth, or deterioration in the areas, just discoloration.

This spot above her eye probably seems the worst, and could possibly be slightly indented, but it's really hard to tell, even in person.

The underside of her head area seems to be especially pale:

Does this look like it could be some kind of sting or irritation? I do have several pests right now. The rock in her main hideout area is covered with hydroids (the tiny, white, stringy, branching kind) but most of what I've read says that they don't sting fish. Maybe they sting enough to irritate though? I also recently spotted some baby aiptasia in one area of a rock, but why would the wrasse be messing with them enough to keep getting stung? I don't think there's more aiptasia in her hideout (I took the rock out to inspect a couple days ago), but I'll have to check again. There's also lots of vermitid snails throughout the tank that I'm trying to destroy, but again I know they irritate coral but didn't think they would bother fish.

Is it possible it's an injury from me moving rocks or something? I'm really careful when I've been doing this (trying to crush vermitid snails and such) but I figure maybe something could have happened without me knowing? I'm not positive but I feel like the patches didn't all show up at once, so I feel like that makes this theory less likely.

I am concerned about bacterial infection for two possible reasons. I (stupidly, I know) just add a yasha goby two weeks ago without quarantining . I assume the yasha is still alive but it hasn't left it's hiding spot under the rock. I can check again but felt really guilty for disturbing it the first time and am nervous about accidentally crushing it or the pistol shrimp. I also had a watchman goby die two months ago from what seemed to definitely be some kind of bacterial infection or tumor in its gut. I had a bad dinoflagellate outbreak at the time and a couple snails died, so I assumed that greatly affected the goby's sickness. Dinos have been taken care of for a while now though.

Other larger inhabitants are a yasha goby, pistol shrimp, emerald crab, pom pom crab, and hermit crab. I don't have any euphyllia or other corals with a bad sting (I don't think?).

Parameters are:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate .2
Phosphate 0
Calcium 470
Alkalinity 8.2
Magnesium 1470
pH 8.2
Salinity 1.026
Temp 78

She's acting normally and seems to still be eating. I've never actually seen her eat any of the prepared foods I feed the tank, but is constantly picking at rocks. She's been in the tank for about 5 months.

Anyway, if these spots look familiar to anyone, I'd love to know about it!

OP
OP
lizzyann

lizzyann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not that familiar with these fish. The brief read up I did on them said that they are crevasse dwellers and that it could be that the methods of capturing them is likely to include chemicals. Makes me wonder if it's possible that could be the case with these 3 fish and it has weakened their immune system.

Without knowing if the one from the oldest report is still alive or not is concerning. I hope the person replies in that thread. Given the last report it doesn't look like that one made it and I'd be prone to trying to treat with something but I can't give a good recommendation on that. @Humblefish @4FordFamily do you guys have any thoughts?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with a freshwater dip and see if anything falls off.
I have some suspicion of flukes from the pics in that other thread.
Then transfer to a hospital tank and treat for either flukes or bacterial infection, depending.
These fish are so delicate, I don't think the 'wait and see' approach would work.

absowry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it really reminds me of brooklynella. It's an easy one to treat for, but it would require a qt tank.

It won't let me post the link for the explanation but it's easy to search for.

OP
OP
lizzyann

lizzyann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update, she's looking better! Unfortunately I've been out of town for a couple days and could only leave my partner to keep an eye on her, but so far so good. All the white patches seem to be clearing up, just every so slightly pale now. No change in behavior, still acting normal. Maybe she just got a little banged up somehow? Hopefully it's not something that's going to keep happening.

BabaMkubwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, did your wrasse ever recover/did you figure out what was going on?

OP
OP
lizzyann

lizzyann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, did your wrasse ever recover/did you figure out what was going on?
I never figured out what was going on, but she healed up and never showed any other issues! It actually popped back up occasionally every few months, then she would heal and it would be fine. She hasn't had it happen in a long while now though. I haven't had any aiptasia in a long while as well, maybe she was accidentally sleeping next to one of those occasionally!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%

Back