anyone regreat using a DOS for AWC?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using my DOS for automatic water changes for about 18 months. Been generally happy with it. It is noisy, though in my case it’s in a basement fish room so noise doesn’t matter. As with all mechanical devices, parts wear out. I replaced the peristaltic tubing after a year, even though the old tube looked ok. I do have replacement rollers on hand, though those haven’t required replacement yet. I see no reason why they wouldn’t last for years.

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad everyone is enjoying there DOS for AWC.
I was thinking of the masterflux pumps there more industrial and last longer. but gotta find a used one or there $$$$ and dont have fusion.

basically fusion makes the apex for me..i really dont care about the plastic look of the 2016 apex.

I hope a can pick up a cpl DOS this holiday season.
Check out GHL controllers

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve since changed to continuous water changes running 24/7, which allows the DOS to run slowly and quietly, is easier on the heads, and doesn’t require disabling the ATO. The amount of “new” water wasted is trivial since I’m draining upstream from where new water is added.

I am leaning towards this. Just not sure if this will be best achieved by buying a cheap $50-$75 doser and replacing it every year or two, or replacing DOS heads as needed

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could. Use timer switches and float switches together.
true I guess you could. but you do lose alot of the apex features.

Check out GHL controllers

I did there in the list but are more $$ but a great option for ppl with an apex. I was hoping the 4 hread doser would do the trick but they dais it would need to be the Maxi 2.1 for AWC

Noobreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am getting a DOS intending for water change as well for my Reef Noob tank. However, I am placing the containers OUTSIDE of my hosue, around 10 meters horizantal-head pressure. My q is what are the maximum distance the DOS can pump through the hose once primed?

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a hardware issue with my DOS for AWC and I am currently working with Neptune to resolve the issue.

Overall I am mildly happy with it.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am getting a DOS intending for water change as well for my Reef Noob tank. However, I am placing the containers OUTSIDE of my hosue, around 10 meters horizantal-head pressure. My q is what are the maximum distance the DOS can pump through the hose once primed?

I could be totally wrong here but mt understanding is 24/25ft virtcial horzentail should be on real limit.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sucks what problems are you having?
One of the motors is extremely intermittent which sucks for an AWC. It will add water but not remove from time to time, messing with my water level. It is fixed with a power reset, but I can't always keep an eye to be sure both pumps work. APEX says it is removing, but the motor does not turn. Neptune is giving me great support and are swapping the unit, but it is very annoying.

jbozarth78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing 2 gallons daily for almost 2 years with no problems or regrets. My mixing station and DOS are in the garage and I ran 30 feet of 1/4” tubing to my tank. I also use the garage RO/DI storage tank as my ATO reservoir.

When I first set it up I was removing water first, then adding water next. This method required disabling the ATO since the sump depth would change, and required the DOS to run at full speed, making it louder and shortening the lifespan of the heads.

I’ve since changed to continuous water changes running 24/7, which allows the DOS to run slowly and quietly, is easier on the heads, and doesn’t require disabling the ATO. The amount of “new” water wasted is trivial since I’m draining upstream from where new water is added.

E8D73F23-608D-45EE-9999-020EBBE94AD2.jpeg
Since you have it in the garage, do you have heaters in the tanks to keeps the water at the correct tempature? Just curious for my own set up.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back