anyone regreat using a DOS for AWC?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to set up AWC on 2 largish tanks. after looking around the interwebs for options looks like the APEX DOS might be the "best" way to go for me. I would like to do 1.5-2 gal per day over 24hr
I do have an apex.

basement mixing station so pumping water up to 1st floor lets say 10 feet up to be safe then over another 10-15 ish feet I know the DOS can easily handle that.

most complaints I hear are the DOS are loud I have an extra small cabinet I was thinking i could sound proof it a bit . it will be in the basement so might not be that big of a deal.

so any regrets using a DOS for your AWC? about how often do you need to replace the heads?
any other info or thoughts I am all hears.

cheers!

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no regrets. I’ve been using one for 14 months now, and it has been flawless. It is loud when it is running at full speed, but I have a basement sump with the DOS so I do not hear it. Rather than the continuous water change throughout the day, I have mine set up to pull 2 gallons out of my sump and then pull 2 gallons of new salt water back in. I have not changed the heads since I installed the unit 14 months ago, but I recently purchased replacement heads and will be switching the old ones out shortly to stay ahead of it. There’s nothing wrong with the original heads that are still mounted on the unit, but like I said, I’m trying to stay proactive with it rather than waiting for an issue.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no regrets. I’ve been using one for 14 months now, and it has been flawless. It is loud when it is running at full speed, but I have a basement sump with the DOS so I do not hear it. Rather than the continuous water change throughout the day, I have mine set up to pull 2 gallons out of my sump and then pull 2 gallons of new salt water back in. I have not changed the heads since I installed the unit 14 months ago, but I recently purchased replacement heads and will be switching the old ones out shortly to stay ahead of it. There’s nothing wrong with the original heads that are still mounted on the unit, but like I said, I’m trying to stay proactive with it rather than waiting for an issue.

about how long dose it take to do 2 gal WC? how you do shut off you ATO?

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have been running my DOS AWC for two years. Great! I replace the heads yearly. I do 10l/day and it looks like it doses/pulls 6 times an hour, about 62 ml. My LSS is under the house so I don't hear it, but it doesn't seem that loud when I happen to be down there when it doses.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing 2 gallons daily for almost 2 years with no problems or regrets. My mixing station and DOS are in the garage and I ran 30 feet of 1/4” tubing to my tank. I also use the garage RO/DI storage tank as my ATO reservoir.

When I first set it up I was removing water first, then adding water next. This method required disabling the ATO since the sump depth would change, and required the DOS to run at full speed, making it louder and shortening the lifespan of the heads.

I’ve since changed to continuous water changes running 24/7, which allows the DOS to run slowly and quietly, is easier on the heads, and doesn’t require disabling the ATO. The amount of “new” water wasted is trivial since I’m draining upstream from where new water is added.

E8D73F23-608D-45EE-9999-020EBBE94AD2.jpeg

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have been running my DOS AWC for two years. Great! I replace the heads yearly. I do 10l/day and it looks like it doses/pulls 6 times an hour, about 62 ml. My LSS is under the house so I don't hear it, but it doesn't seem that loud when I happen to be down there when it doses.

thanks for the replay. i like the fact the the DOS can be controler through fusion. I m getting excited about the possibility of AWC :D

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing 2 gallons daily for almost 2 years with no problems or regrets. My mixing station and DOS are in the garage and I ran 30 feet of 1/4” tubing to my tank. I also use the garage RO/DI storage tank as my ATO reservoir.

When I first set it up I was removing water first, then adding water next. This method required disabling the ATO since the sump depth would change, and required the DOS to run at full speed, making it louder and shortening the lifespan of the heads.

I’ve since changed to continuous water changes running 24/7, which allows the DOS to run slowly and quietly, is easier on the heads, and doesn’t require disabling the ATO. The amount of “new” water wasted is trivial since I’m draining upstream from where new water is added.

1st I LOVE your set up so clean!
I was hoping to use my fresh water res. for my ATO as well what pump are you using to push it to the tank?

looks like you are using the FMM for motering the mixing stations?

I do have the ATK brand new old model not sure if the pmup can push it up to the tanks from the basement?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st I LOVE your set up so clean!
I was hoping to use my fresh water res. for my ATO as well what pump are you using to push it to the tank?

looks like you are using the FMM for motering the mixing stations?

I do have the ATK brand new old model not sure if the pmup can push it up to the tanks from the basement?

The PMUP can push water up 14 feet according to Neptune’s website: https://www.neptunesystems.com/pmup/

I use one FMM at the mixing station to monitor water levels in the storage tanks and to control the PMUP in the RO/DI tank. I use a 2nd FMM in my sump for the ATK sensors. I simply moved the ATK programming to the garage PMUP, essentially splitting the ATK functionality across two FMM modules.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about how long dose it take to do 2 gal WC? how you do shut off you ATO?
It takes about 1 hr 45 mins to pull out 2 gallons, and another 1 hr 45 mins to add the new saltwater. So 3.5 hrs total. I have it set up this way because I have a 100 gallon Rubbermaid sump, so I’m adding/pulling from the same general area. It probably wouldn’t make a difference to do the AWC continuously instead, but this is just the route I decided to take.

With regard to turning off the ATO, I just set a program on my ATO in Fusion to basically tell it to turn off during the duration of the AWC and then come back on after the AWC is complete.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention the AWC’s are the best. I can’t believe I spent 20 years doing water changes manually. The DOS is some of the best money I’ve spent on my tank.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0

Where do you get those storage containers? I would love one to keep a tank of RODI water with a spigot.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get those storage containers? I would love one to keep a tank of RODI water with a spigot.

I cant speak for him but alot of tractor supply stores have them. ebay too but the shipping is stupid expensive.
I am between spending the $$ for them or just goting with the 50 gal water safe barrels you can get for around $25 vs 150ish...

but man those 75 gal. cantainers do looks sexy...HAAHAA

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust those garbage PMUP's for anything. As for the DOS, the noise complaint was my only issue. The rather extensive marketing from NS and retail partners has made them out to be some silent spinners, but with AWC use, it's anything but.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m lucky that there’s a local business just outside of Portland OR that sells nothing but water storage containers, so I didn’t have to pay shipping. As someone else mentioned, you may find them at a farm supply store. Mine are made by Norwesco.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust those garbage PMUP's for anything. As for the DOS, the noise complaint was my only issue. The rather extensive marketing from NS and retail partners has made them out to be some silent spinners, but with AWC use, it's anything but.

I have no problems with my PMUP for ATO, and a 2nd PMUP that runs 24/7 to feed my refugium. I do routine maintenance on them every 6 months.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad everyone is enjoying there DOS for AWC.
I was thinking of the masterflux pumps there more industrial and last longer. but gotta find a used one or there $$$$ and dont have fusion.

basically fusion makes the apex for me..i really dont care about the plastic look of the 2016 apex.

I hope a can pick up a cpl DOS this holiday season.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no problems with my PMUP for ATO, and a 2nd PMUP that runs 24/7 to feed my refugium. I do routine maintenance on them every 6 months.
What is your routine maintenance if you don’t mind me asking?

I am running one for daily ATK top up of a gravity fed ATO and are planning another for a 2nd tank and a third to fill a SW mixing tank with RO for AWC.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad everyone is enjoying there DOS for AWC.
I was thinking of the masterflux pumps there more industrial and last longer. but gotta find a used one or there $$$$ and dont have fusion.

basically fusion makes the apex for me..i really dont care about the plastic look of the 2016 apex.

I hope a can pick up a cpl DOS this holiday season.
The used market is the best place to pick a dos up for AWC imo. Most people running them for 2 part have pushed a piddly amount through them by the time they want to sell.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your routine maintenance if you don’t mind me asking?

I am running one for daily ATK top up of a gravity fed ATO and are planning another for a 2nd tank and a third to fill a SW mixing tank with RO for AWC.

The PMUP used for ATO just gets disassembled and lightly scrubbed with a toothbrush, and a general inspection. The PMUP feeding my refugium gets disassembled, soaked in a vinegar solution, thoroughly scrubbed to remove sponges, snails, calcium buildups, etc., and inspected. I do keep a spare PMUP on hand just in case, but haven't needed it yet.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back