Anyone reliably using Apex ATK?

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for an ATO. Gut instinct was to go with a Tunze, but the optical sensors on the ATK and expansion ports on the FMM really seem useful. I'd like to drive my skimmer based on water level using the optical sensors instead of basing it on the status of my return pump.

I am, however, seeing some negative reviews about the ATK, but most are vague. Is anyone using this ATO reliably? Any known issues or problems?

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great piece of tech. It's been working successfully for me since August 2017. Optical sensors need cleaning a bit from time to time to ensure no false readings but other than that I've encountered zero problems.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed emotions here....

Out of the box my ATK was defective; I had to contact Neptune because I had a defective optical sensor. That being said their customer service is amazing and I had a replacement in the mail immediately.

The optical sensors and float valve are clunky, they protrude out of the magnetic mount quite far, not as low profile as the Tunze. If you have the room in your sump however this could not be an issue.

My main issue is just with maintenance, I have had the float valve fail twice due to salt creep, oddly enough though it has failed in the closed position. So my water level dropped significantly because the float valve would not open to allow the RO to flow through.

The sensors have all functioned perfectly for me, and are great tools. The software has not failed me either. Its just taken occasional maintenance every other week or so to ensure there is no salt.

I like the functionality, the customer service, and additional water sensors that the ATK provides. I'll continue to use it over the Tunze for the foreseeable future.

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great piece of tech. It's been working successfully for me since August 2017. Optical sensors need cleaning a bit from time to time to ensure no false readings but other than that I've encountered zero problems.

How often do you need to clean the optical sensors? What would be the side effect if you didn't clean them for too long? If they just become inaccurate to a degree, I can deal with that. If the optical sensors stop detecting the water level all together, that's unacceptable for how I intend to use them.

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed emotions here....

Out of the box my ATK was defective; I had to contact Neptune because I had a defective optical sensor. That being said their customer service is amazing and I had a replacement in the mail immediately.

The optical sensors and float valve are clunky, they protrude out of the magnetic mount quite far, not as low profile as the Tunze. If you have the room in your sump however this could not be an issue.

My main issue is just with maintenance, I have had the float valve fail twice due to salt creep, oddly enough though it has failed in the closed position. So my water level dropped significantly because the float valve would not open to allow the RO to flow through.

The sensors have all functioned perfectly for me, and are great tools. The software has not failed me either. Its just taken occasional maintenance every other week or so to ensure there is no salt.

I like the functionality, the customer service, and additional water sensors that the ATK provides. I'll continue to use it over the Tunze for the foreseeable future.

To be honest, I wouldn't even use the float valve. The two sensors + the software is what I'm looking for, but I need to make sure the sensors are consistent enough.

Have you used the Tunze in the past? Have you added any extra sensors to the FMM?

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're in the market for an ATO and looking for something to integrate with your Apex, take a look at the Avast ATO. Mine has been working really well for years.

I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone: set up water level sensors so I can control when my skimmer should be on and off, and set up an ATO. I've used a Tom's Aqualifter and a standard 2 float switch for 9 years with no issues, so I don't mind going back to that if necessary. The ATK allows me to do both in one setup.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone: set up water level sensors so I can control when my skimmer should be on and off, and set up an ATO. I've used a Tom's Aqualifter and a standard 2 float switch for 9 years with no issues, so I don't mind going back to that if necessary. The ATK allows me to do both in one setup.

Shouldn't the water level in your Skimmer section be consistent?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm you have given me ideas here! Never thought of using the sensors to control the skimmer... excellent!

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't the water level in your Skimmer section be consistent?

It's consistent unless I shut off my return pump or control the return speed. If I turn my return pump down to 30%, my skimmer will start to overflow. There's no logic that I know of in Apex that allows you program "if return speed < 100% then off".

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the ATK for 6 months with no issues. Easy to set up and works great. I wipe of the sensors when i'm messing around in the sump but haven't had any failures. For me the unit gets submerged when I turn off the return for water changes and that seems to be enough to keep them clean.

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm you have given me ideas here! Never thought of using the sensors to control the skimmer... excellent!

Yep, the only thing that should control whether the skimmer is on or off is whether or not the water level is at the right position, IMO. Low is fine, high means an overflow and overflows suck!

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's consistent unless I shut off my return pump or control the return speed. If I turn my return pump down to 30%, my skimmer will start to overflow. There's no logic that I know of in Apex that allows you program "if return speed < 100% then off".

Is the reasoning behind reducing the return speed for feeding or maintenance? Maybe program it as a feed cycle? Feed C; skimmer off return X%

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your skimmer in your return chamber?

No, it's in a dedicated chamber with consistent water level, but if my return pump is less than 70%, the entire sump level rises. The return pump chamber only prevents water level changes to a degree.

Is the reasoning behind reducing the return speed for feeding or maintenance? Maybe program it as a feed cycle? Feed C; skimmer off return X%

All of the above. I would like to have different profiles for different speeds on the return pump. Instead of programming every single situation where the water level *might* be too high, it'd be 1 line of code for turning off the skimmer if the water level in the skimmer chamber is too high. As a software engineer, that's the simplest and most failproof way to prevent overflows. Any other combination of rules would just make my outlet programming more complex than it needs to be, and complexity is where bugs/problems come from.

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically, I don't want the skimmer to have a dependency on the state of the return pump. The return pump can have an endless number of states between its outlet and VDM ports. The VDM port can be turned off while the return pump outlet is still on, the return pump outlet could be off while the VDM port is still on. The VDM port could be on a profile that's too slow for the skimmer. etc.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have had several issues with my ATK but most are due to using kalk in the top off. the moral of the story, HIGH maintenance with kalk and dont dose in same compartment with the ATK

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have had several issues with my ATK but most are due to using kalk in the top off. the moral of the story, HIGH maintenance with kalk and dont dose in same compartment with the ATK

I assume the issues are from the kalk clogging up the float valve? I have kalk on a separate doser into a different chamber of the sump anyway.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kalk presip on the optical sensor every few days, clogged check valve resulting in siphon, pump failure (pecip) and then of course the float valve to name a few and it always needs an adjustment or two after water changes,
that thing is a pain in the ars and the most needy piece of equipment in my system, and again most is due to Kalk In the TO

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back