Anyone reliably using Apex ATK?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your ATK is running past the programmed “max time on” and shutting off as a precaution. If standalone, this should learn over time. If connected to an Apex, you need to adjust the programming of the auto top off. “When On > 003:00 Then OFF” is my ATO code. If the pump runs for more than 3 mins, it shuts off and raises an alarm.

As I recall, the alarm will be triggered if the upper sensor is under water for > 10 minutes, if the pump runs more than twice as long as the average fill time from the last 5 fills (IQ fill) or if it runs for more than 5 minutes.

The problem with the ATK is that when used in stand alone mode, these alarms settings are more often problematic than helpful, and once an alarm has triggered, you have to power cycle the device to reset it. (Resetting it also resets the IQ fill memory, too, so the design significantly limits the usefulness of that feature.) The feed mode on my return pump turns it off for 30 minutes, also letting the level in my sump rise. That would then trigger the high water alarm, so I would have to come back and reset my ATK every time I fed my fish. Ditto if you use a sensor in your ATO reservoir and it runs dry. Instead of simply turning on again when you fill it, you have to reset the entire device.

Kalk also causes issues with the anti siphon valve and the float valve by clogging them with buildup. I can't necessarily blame Neptune for this, as it's a problem intrinsic to kalkwasser, but they should be clear about it in their instructions.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the double beep of frustration, Right now the foam and fuge floaties are building up on the level sensor and not topping. I suspect future sump designs for Triton method will have a filter holder between chambers 1 & 2. I am also getting cheateo in my Needle wheel requiring service, so now I have floss between the weir.
20180407_203836.jpg
20180408_204706.jpg

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im using stnd alone right now but the water is at the right spot. why cant i just reset it and let it learn itself again

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the double beep of frustration, Right now the foam and fuge floaties are building up on the level sensor and not topping. I suspect future sump designs for Triton method will have a filter holder between chambers 1 & 2. I am also getting cheateo in my Needle wheel requiring service, so now I have floss between the weir.
20180407_203836.jpg
20180408_204706.jpg

It sounds like your upper optical sensor is getting dirty/fouled from all the foam. You can't really blame Apex for that; a dirty sensor won't read properly. A float sensor *might* be better, but your best bet would be to find a way to shield it in the sump so it stays clean.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to revive this thread I have a question:

I have a large system and the unit will shut down after 5 minutes of constant run. I have the Neptune controller however I haven't gotten around to setting it up and as of now I am using the ATO in stand alone mode.

Since my sump is so large, the system shuts down way too early and the sump is nowhere close to being full. I then need to reset the unit; it runs again for 5 min and then shuts down. Is there a way around this? Or do I need to setup my Neptune controller and add a line of code to keep the unit on until the float valve has been triggered?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to revive this thread I have a question:

I have a large system and the unit will shut down after 5 minutes of constant run. I have the Neptune controller however I haven't gotten around to setting it up and as of now I am using the ATO in stand alone mode.

Since my sump is so large, the system shuts down way too early and the sump is nowhere close to being full. I then need to reset the unit; it runs again for 5 min and then shuts down. Is there a way around this? Or do I need to setup my Neptune controller and add a line of code to keep the unit on until the float valve has been triggered?
Increasing that time, yes. Let me grab my code and I'll show you.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Swx10_1 OPEN Then ON
If Swx10_2 CLOSED Then OFF
If Power Apex Off 005 Then OFF
When On > 010:00 Then OFF
Defer 000:15 Then ON
Defer 000:15 Then OFF
Min Time 060:00 Then OFF

The line following means when the pump is on for greater than 10 min then off... When On > 010:00 Then OFF

This will shut it off in a mode that requires user action to reset before it'll run again (switching outlet back to AUTO)

Up this value from 005:00 (5 min) to something higher, but not too high as it is a safety.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Swx10_1 OPEN Then ON
If Swx10_2 CLOSED Then OFF
If Power Apex Off 005 Then OFF
When On > 010:00 Then OFF
Defer 000:15 Then ON
Defer 000:15 Then OFF
Min Time 060:00 Then OFF

The line following means when the pump is on for greater than 10 min then off... When On > 010:00 Then OFF

This will shut it off in a mode that requires user action to reset before it'll run again (switching outlet back to AUTO)

Up this value from 005:00 (5 min) to something higher, but not too high as it is a safety.

Thanks for the quick reply.

This line of code is where I would set how long the unit runs for?

"When On > 010:00 Then OFF"

so if I wanted it to max out at say 15 min I would change the above to: When On > 015:00 Then OFF ?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply.

This line of code is where I would set how long the unit runs for?

"When On > 010:00 Then OFF"

so if I wanted it to max out at say 15 min I would change the above to: When On > 015:00 Then OFF ?
How long the unit may be able to run unless another condition stops it. Essentially, if your sump doesn't fill back up to the optical sensor by the point 10 minutes is hit (in my case) or 5 min got you, then it'll shut the outlet off.

Yes, the 15 min example is correct.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long the unit may be able to run unless another condition stops it. Essentially, if your sump doesn't fill back up to the optical sensor by the point 10 minutes is hit (in my case) or 5 min got you, then it'll shut the outlet off.

Yes, the 15 min example is correct.

Awesome thank you.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the integration with apex and i use 2 ports of the fmm to alert/control things, (low ato res and leak detection) but the dang thing always fill up a ton of water each time and im pretty sure only turns off due to the timing alarm or the float switch since water is usually past the 2nd optical. on top of that, the whole time its passed the 2nd optical i get alerts ALLLLLLLLL day, i probably have about 50+ from today alone. is something wrong with my sensors that this is happening? i would says half the time water fills as it should, just enough to get to the first sensor, the other half it fills to the float valve.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the integration with apex and i use 2 ports of the fmm to alert/control things, (low ato res and leak detection) but the dang thing always fill up a ton of water each time and im pretty sure only turns off due to the timing alarm or the float switch since water is usually past the 2nd optical. on top of that, the whole time its passed the 2nd optical i get alerts ALLLLLLLLL day, i probably have about 50+ from today alone. is something wrong with my sensors that this is happening? i would says half the time water fills as it should, just enough to get to the first sensor, the other half it fills to the float valve.
Should be shutting off when it covers the first sensor, so something is definitely wrong. I'd suggest you contact Neptune.

Back