Anyone running a small (10g-ish) SPS only system? Step inside, I have questions!

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up an SPS only IM Nuvo 10. Yes, yes, I know all about small tanks, etc. I've been in the nano game for quite a while now and this build is going to be WAY over the top, bordering on ridiculous.

I'm just curious what other people are doing for lighting, flow, etc as I finalize my equipment purchases. My rock has been "cooking" for quite some time now, and it's almost time to get things rolling!

So, if you have a 10g-ish SPS tank, let me see it, and tell me all about it!

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've seen plenty of pico tanks full to the brim with SPS. I pre ordered the new Fusion 15 cube to try out SPS only tank.

For lighting I have 3 lights to try out.

Noopysche K7 Mini, XR15 Gen 5 Pro, and Kessil 160WE ... One of these is bound to work lol

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen plenty of pico tanks full to the brim with SPS. I pre ordered the new Fusion 15 cube to try out SPS only tank.

For lighting I have 3 lights to try out.

Noopysche K7 Mini, XR15 Gen 5 Pro, and Kessil 160WE ... One of these is bound to work lol

I have 2 lighting options available... A Prime HD and a Hydra 26HD. Both would have diffusers and upgraded LEDs from @luxdium

I know the HD could hit my PAR goals, but I'm actually leaning 26HD for better spread with less shadowing.

Guess I was low-key hoping someone would convince me that the regular HD was enough. :D

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 lighting options available... A Prime HD and a Hydra 26HD. Both would have diffusers and upgraded LEDs from @luxdium

I know the HD could hit my PAR goals, but I'm actually leaning 26HD for better spread with less shadowing.

Guess I was low-key hoping someone would convince me that the regular HD was enough. :D
I have 2 older Primes on each of my 30g IMs and was actually blown away by the PAR numbers that I got on the Apogee 510 meter.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 older Primes on each of my 30g IMs and was actually blown away by the PAR numbers that I got on the Apogee 510 meter.

Yeah. I have 3x HDs on an IM 30L, 2x for a JBJ 45 timless flat panel and currently one on the IM 10. All are or will be running LuxEngine LED upgrades.

A buddy offered me a KILLER deal on a 26HD, though.

I'm not worried about PAR as much as coverage, if that makes sense.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 5 gallon all-in-one that I built from a Petco tank. MP10 for flow, Tunze Comline skimmer (also served as a surface skimmer), built my own LED, Tunze 3155 topoff, and Siporax in the back chamber. Lasted for several years but eventually failed due to neglect. I learned two critical things about small systems: 1) if you feed fish and keep corals in small volumes of water, you will need to do large (80-100%) water changes weekly or biweekly, 2) absolutely no soft corals of any kind unless that's all you want in there. I eventually ran out of time and energy to do the water changes which is why it failed. As it was, it was getting overgrown by accidentally introduced clove polyps so I was kind of done anyway.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 5 gallon all-in-one that I built from a Petco tank. MP10 for flow, Tunze Comline skimmer (also served as a surface skimmer), built my own LED, Tunze 3155 topoff, and Siporax in the back chamber. Lasted for several years but eventually failed due to neglect. I learned two critical things about small systems: 1) if you feed fish and keep corals in small volumes of water, you will need to do large (80-100%) water changes weekly or biweekly, 2) absolutely no soft corals of any kind unless that's all you want in there. I eventually ran out of time and energy to do the water changes which is why it failed. As it was, it was getting overgrown by accidentally introduced clove polyps so I was kind of done anyway.

All my tanks are nanos. Of the current ones, the NEWEST of them (a 10g anemone tank) is over a year of continuous operation. I realize what's involved in maintaining small tanks.

My concerned with 10g is temperature in summer time. I do have 40g with sps.

I've only had a heat issue once. The central air went out in our house on one of the hottest days for the year, and even floating ice packs only kept things barely safe. I didn't lose anything, but it was a long, stressful day.

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MP10 in the 5 is a flex haha! Definitely agree on water change need on <10-15gal

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really your only concern should be keeping everything stable. Temps params,salinity ect STABLE.

Other than that,random moderate flow and good par numbers. Are you want those acros that people bake at 350-400 par are sub 300 to 200 par ? I say a Noopsyche V3 Pro,because why not ? Dial it back to where ever you see fit,or crank that sucker up on kill and blast the corals with a safe number.

Not only do you have flexibility,but a nice blanket of light.

I have kept a pico (10" cube) slap full of 20-30 acro's with just a DIY led light (2 NanoBox V1 arrays and 6 violets) and a AC30 with carbon. Weekly water changes of a gallon and manually topping off.

I'd post pics but they are all on my IG and really don't feel like screenshotting a bunch of pics atm.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really your only concern should be keeping everything stable. Temps params,salinity ect STABLE.

Other than that,random moderate flow and good par numbers. Are you want those acros that people bake at 350-400 par are sub 300 to 200 par ? I say a Noopsyche V3 Pro,because why not ? Dial it back to where ever you see fit,or crank that sucker up on kill and blast the corals with a safe number.

Not only do you have flexibility,but a nice blanket of light.

I have kept a pico (10" cube) slap full of 20-30 acro's with just a DIY led light (2 NanoBox V1 arrays and 6 violets) and a AC30 with carbon. Weekly water changes of a gallon and manually topping off.

I'd post pics but they are all on my IG and really don't feel like screenshotting a bunch of pics atm.

I'm all set for stability. Dosing pump, ATO, and a Helio heater should keep me good on most all fronts. I've got flow covered too.

I'm actually leaning towards using the Hydra 26HD. My single Prime HD can get me 300 PAR where I need it at its max, but it's still a single puck, lighting everything from the center of the tank. The 26HD could get me the same PAR running at 50% of max, and do it with 2 pucks spaced out, so more of a blanket of light from multiple directions.

I was trying to talk myself out of spending the money on the 26HD and LED upgrades when I already have a light that would probably work. But, the more I think about it, the more I convince myself that the 26HD is the better option. Browsing the @blen_reef IG account has only encouraged me more to go with the 26HD.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good to me.

Canned,haha that tank. He had 4 primes over that tank which is just absurd lol. But it was HILARIOUS to see that. He could have just done a single XR15 and been plenty.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha you are right but poot fella would have needed 4 primes if he had good coral placement lol. I had told him that many many times lol.

He kinda just put stuff where he had room. That dang chicken had too much of an influence lol.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha you are right but poot fella would have needed 4 primes if he had good coral placement lol. I had told him that many many times lol.

He kinda just put stuff where he had room. That dang chicken had too much of an influence lol.

Yeah. I plan to limit myself to what I can comfortably fit on this...

It has 12 spots, but I feel a few of them might be shaded too much for sticks once things start growing out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back