Anyone successfully keeping bluehead and bird wrasse in same tank?

kierstin1993

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bluehead wrasse and am interested in the bird wrasse, but am aware not all wrasses will get along. Wondering if anyone knows if these 2 are compatible.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bluehead wrasse and am interested in the bird wrasse, but am aware not all wrasses will get along. Wondering if anyone knows if these 2 are compatible.
Slocke will be better to answer this however I have seen a Birdwrasse get absolutely annihilated by a Thalassoma species. They’re generally more peaceful than the Thalassoma genus is.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to try this myself. I’ve seen it done in public aquariums and in the wild the bird wrasse lives amongst various species of Thalassoma. Also the blue head is generally seen as one of the more peaceful.

Saying that using a box may be required and making sure they are similar size. I would not trust a Thalassoma with a fish significantly smaller then it.

OP
OP
kierstin1993

kierstin1993

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slocke will be better to answer this however I have seen a Birdwrasse get absolutely annihilated by a Thalassoma species. They’re generally more peaceful than the Thalassoma

I’m about to try this myself. I’ve seen it done in public aquariums and in the wild the bird wrasse lives amongst various species of Thalassoma. Also the blue head is generally seen as one of the more peaceful.

Saying that using a box may be required and making sure they are similar size. I would not trust a Thalassoma with a fish significantly smaller then it.
The bird wrasse is larger by a bit more than an inch. My bluehead only seems aggressive during feeding time so I'm hoping it goes OK.
Seems like it depends on who i talk to, some say Thalassoma is more aggressive, others say the bird wrasse is. I'll keep you posted when I add him to the main tank! The bird wrasse was picked up last night and is awaiting prazipro in my QT so I'll find out soon!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bird wrasse is larger by a bit more than an inch. My bluehead only seems aggressive during feeding time so I'm hoping it goes OK.
Seems like it depends on who i talk to, some say Thalassoma is more aggressive, others say the bird wrasse is. I'll keep you posted when I add him to the main tank! The bird wrasse was picked up last night and is awaiting prazipro in my QT so I'll find out soon!
They have very similar behavior in the wild. They mostly roam competitive reefs and thus are both used to roughing it with a lot of fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kierstin1993

kierstin1993

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a plexiglass partition up at the moment (using it to reduce any possible aggression from yellow tang towards new copperband), but the bluehead has managed to get over the partition somehow, regardless of how much I try to modify it so he can't.
I will try to keep them each on a separate side at first but am not expecting much luck since this bluehead is like a wizard of tight spaces!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back