Anyone switching from calcium reactor to dosing?

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reefers would upgrade from dosing to running a calcium reactor. However, has anyone switched from a calcium reactor to dosing?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the opposite, but a good buddy of mine did as you ask, simply because he was tired of the effluent clogging.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never have, but you find a few posts now and again over time. I would not be shocked if nobody answered this post, but that does not mean that nobody has.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I never have switched back to dosing unless I downsized and that’s what was easier. Most Anyone who has a reactor running correctly won’t switch back to dosing.l, but it all comes down to personal preference and what works best for the specific setup.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know couple of hard core reefers did that cause they wanted to control the ca and alk dosing individually.
I did the other way around like many others and moved from dosing to CArx.
You can run successful reefs with either to be honest. Even now when I am on CArx I use pure media which is only ca and alk. Since it's not coral skeletons based I get nothing but pure ca and alk.
I think it depend on the reason why to go with either.
Some go to carx cause dosing get too large and CArx become more economical, some would swear with the skeleton based media as it suppose to supplement trace elements not only ca and alk so they use carx.
As I said, some I know moved from CArx to dosing cause they wanted diffrent levels of ca and alk that they cannot conteoll using CArx...

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I use pure media which is only ca and alk"
Can you elaborate?
I use dastaco pure media. Not coral skeleton based media.
The pure media dissolved to CA and alk only no other elements.

Nerdist Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the hot thing in the hobby now is automatic water testing (Trident, Alkatronic, Reef bot). Combine that with automatic dosing, I could calcium reactors losing some popularity over the next few years.

bobby.w.hodges

Wet Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the hot thing in the hobby now is automatic water testing (Trident, Alkatronic, Reef bot). Combine that with automatic dosing, I could calcium reactors losing some popularity over the next few years.
I think a lot of reefers like to be hands on to a point, it's what gives you the reward when you look at your tank. With that being said, autopilot seems boring to me even if it could produce a steady stable tank there would be less acheivment satisfaction.

I went from dosing to calcium reactor because I got tired of feeling jugs and readjusting doses, calcium reactor is super stable when it's setup correctly on a controller.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of reefers like to be hands on to a point, it's what gives you the reward when you look at your tank. With that being said, autopilot seems boring to me even if it could produce a steady stable tank there would be less acheivment satisfaction.

I went from dosing to calcium reactor because I got tired of feeling jugs and readjusting doses, calcium reactor is super stable when it's setup correctly on a controller.
Agreed, I think its but more valuable than simply going to dosing because we testing...
As an example I still think the best recipe for success is a good alk tester like the khg or alktronic and a CArx...

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back